• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next HA Auction !
4 4

386 posts in this topic

This is the one and I have to say that would bother me if I was bidding, but I'm not. We shall see. I suspect it will do just fine

Could be worse, like a McFarlane Spidey with a head like an anvil on a 165 body that has size 18 feet.

I can't imagine anyone who grew up collecting during the Rob Liefeld era could get too worked up over this kind of thing.

Yup, this is the one.

I'd be too busy looking at Raymond's sumptuous brushwork to care about a misplaced leg.

But hey, maybe the big collectors will be equally irritated by it and I'll finally be able to win a Flash Gordon from Raymond's peak period.

I'm not holding my breath.

Rookie here, did a closed Heritage search and WOW! I understand the basis of the rationale that certain genres (Tarzan, Sword and Sorcery) have seen their best days. But I don't see much wind in the sails of Flash Gordon and these pieces are selling for 6 figures. Ditto for Prince Caspian.

This is the one and I have to say that would bother me if I was bidding, but I'm not. We shall see. I suspect it will do just fine

Could be worse, like a McFarlane Spidey with a head like an anvil on a 165 body that has size 18 feet.

I can't imagine anyone who grew up collecting during the Rob Liefeld era could get too worked up over this kind of thing.

So true.

I'm still saddened by Ethan's passing...I managed to do some trades with him years ago. He started collecting comic art back in the early 1960s as a teenager. His main collecting focus was superhero art and particularly Golden Age superhero art...his art collection spanned the 1930s (e.g Flash Gordon) to the 90s. I don't remember him ever selling art, but he did do trades from time to time. The Wrightson Swamp Thing 6 cover was a gift from his wife years ago and the 1935 Flash Gordon Raymond Sunday he basically gave up his entire comic collection for back in the day...both pieces were framed and hanging at his home. He mentioned that when he passed his entire collection would go to his son, but I guess it was time. Ethan was a straight shooter...honest and fair. He will be missed...Rest In Peace Ethan.

P.S. I hope Heritage will have a special section dedicated to Ethan's collection...it certainly deserves it. I wonder if his entire collection is all going in this auction or if it will be spread out...I guess we'll find out. Comic art collectors are going to be treated to hundreds of nice pages...

I'm still saddened by Ethan's passing...I managed to do some trades with him years ago. He started collecting comic art back in the early 1960s as a teenager. His main collecting focus was superhero art and particularly Golden Age superhero art...his art collection spanned the 1930s (e.g Flash Gordon) to the 90s. I don't remember him ever selling art, but he did do trades from time to time. The Wrightson Swamp Thing 6 cover was a gift from his wife years ago and the 1935 Flash Gordon Raymond Sunday he basically gave up his entire comic collection for back in the day...both pieces were framed and hanging at his home. He mentioned that when he passed his entire collection would go to his son, but I guess it was time. Ethan was a straight shooter...honest and fair. He will be missed...Rest In Peace Ethan.

That's a nice post.

I understand the basis of the rationale that certain genres (Tarzan, Sword and Sorcery) have seen their best days. But I don't see much wind in the sails of Flash Gordon and these pieces are selling for 6 figures.

You've been reading too many posts by Malthukkerste, Prophet of Doom. ;)

Sometimes art is expensive because it's good and beautiful, and not just because some middle-aged schmoe is nostalgic for something he liked as a kid.

I understand the basis of the rationale that certain genres (Tarzan, Sword and Sorcery) have seen their best days. But I don't see much wind in the sails of Flash Gordon and these pieces are selling for 6 figures.

You've been reading too many posts by Malthukkerste, Prophet of Doom. ;)

Sometimes art is expensive because it's good and beautiful, and not just because some middle-aged schmoe is nostalgic for something he liked as a kid.

As I said in another thread recently:

At the end of the day, I really do believe that nostalgia plays a larger role than many believe. Even people who now collect things that they didn't grow up with (e.g., Golden Age comics or Modern OA [or 1930s strip art], when they grew up with, say, Strikeforce: Morituri and Power Pack and Alpha Flight) - they may have evolved from what they first read and collected, but I think the thrill of discovery and appreciation of the medium all harkens back to memories/feelings/emotions that were cultivated in those early days, and that, in the end, it's STILL about nostalgia, even when it doesn't necessarily look like it on the surface. Just my 2c

Some OA was for a time, and will pass into the dustbin of history (or at least become far less appreciated/valuable) after those who grew up with it pass on. Other OA will outlive the generations that grew up with it due to its (and its creators) quality, importance, etc. That said, the kind of nostalgia you describe/deride will still very often be the gateway to discovering these older treasures. For example, I have no nostalgia for Krazy Kat, but, without my nostalgia for comics and the thrill I've gotten since age 12 from exploring new areas of the medium, I would never have discovered the strip.

The 1936 Flash is notable because it contains the most egregious drawing mistake that Alex Raymond ever drew. In the bottom left panel, Zarkov's right leg is completely detached from his body. Yes, the page was printed that way...no paste-ups, no art editor corrections. Raymond was just too lazy to correct it. I was offered it many times and passed. My eye kept going to that mistake. I am very curious to see if the aesthetic sensibility of the newer generations of collectors will be bothered by this. I imagine it will go to a european collector for a substantial price. Most of the great Flash pages are in europe.

Doc! So great to hear you chime in again. I'm with you on this one - yes, the brushwork on this 1936 Flash is exquisite, but, that anatomical error is egregious and would always be the first thing that your eye is drawn to once you know it's there, which would be a huge detractor for me. While no one would call me an aesthetics-uber-alles type of collector, I have passed on numerous pieces of OA in my collecting career which had similar errors that detracted from the rest of the art.

Yup, this is the one.

I'd be too busy looking at Raymond's sumptuous brushwork to care about a misplaced leg.

But hey, maybe the big collectors will be equally irritated by it and I'll finally be able to win a Flash Gordon from Raymond's peak period.

I'm not holding my breath.

How much of a discount from the theoretical FMV (assuming no anatomical error) would you have to get to be a serious contender for it? Obviously it's not going to go for half price or anything crazy like that. Heck, there very well might not be any discount at all...the otherwise lush brushwork and the infamy of that panel might even cause it to trade at a premium! :ohnoez:

Some OA was for a time, and will pass into the dustbin of history (or at least become far less appreciated/valuable) after those who grew up with it pass on. Other OA will outlive the generations that grew up with it due to its (and its creators) quality, importance, etc. That said, the kind of nostalgia you describe/deride will still very often be the gateway to discovering these older treasures. For example, I have no nostalgia for Krazy Kat, but, without my nostalgia for comics and the thrill I've gotten since age 12 from exploring new areas of the medium, I would never have discovered the strip.

You know whats funny? I had never read a Krazy Kat until i picked up a daily. I started reading and really looking at it, its mindblowing how good of a a strip that really was...and that its pushing 100 years old is insane. Talk about being ahead of your time. The writing, the pacing, and just the energy of the art. I 100% get the prices and I think they are undervalued on some level. Not to derail (again) but I just wanted to chime in I think you are correct as can be on that strip.

The leg on that Flash strip is distracting, but what makes it worse for me is the way it lines up perfectly with the roll of the map makes it look like a dismembered limb with the femur exposed. I feel like if the out of place leg had been covered up by something else, it wouldn't be near as noticeable.

Adams? I just see a golden age Green Lantern oath. The Adams one is Speedy the junkie page.

In the misc section they have posted the oath page from the Green Lantern back-up story from Flash 219 as penciled and inked by Neal Adams. Having previously owned it (although I am not the consignor), I can say that it is a very nice page.