• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE MANDALORIAN Show
7 7

1,256 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2023 at 9:34 AM, ExNihilo said:

Gina's "acting" was wooden from the very beginning.  Her departure from the show isn't any loss.  It'd be better if they had recast Cara Dune and used the new actress instead of Captain Teva.

I wouldn't say she was horrible.  Her "acting" was sort of in the mid-range for a fan service show.  They should have recast the part. She blew up her own career, but they didn't need to blow up the character.  Having said that, I don't think she or the character were really good romantic prospects. Gina could probably get work from Great American Family if she had any romantic talent, but it does not appear that she does. I like the current potential romance for Mando much better.  And Ahsoka was a much better direction to go for another show.

On 4/20/2023 at 8:20 PM, sfcityduck said:

I wouldn't say she was horrible.  Her "acting" was sort of in the mid-range for a fan service show.  They should have recast the part. She blew up her own career, but they didn't need to blow up the character.  Having said that, I don't think she or the character were really good romantic prospects. Gina could probably get work from Great American Family if she had any romantic talent, but it does not appear that she does. I like the current potential romance for Mando much better.  And Ahsoka was a much better direction to go for another show.

Romance?  You mean Bo?  No thanks.  At no point during Clone Wars or Rebels does the character have any glimmer of a romantic relationship with anyone.  She doesn't need to fall into that kind of trope.

On 4/20/2023 at 11:29 PM, ExNihilo said:

Romance?  You mean Bo?  No thanks.  At no point during Clone Wars or Rebels does the character have any glimmer of a romantic relationship with anyone.  She doesn't need to fall into that kind of trope.

Completely agree. I don’t know why people feel the need to ‘ship’ these characters.  

I thought the finale was pretty good but the season as a whole was a mixed bag but it’s certainly worthy of a re-watch soon. 

On 4/21/2023 at 8:22 AM, bentbryan said:

Completely agree. I don’t know why people feel the need to ‘ship’ these characters.  

I thought the finale was pretty good but the season as a whole was a mixed bag but it’s certainly worthy of a re-watch soon. 

One of the elements I strongly dislike is the whole 'ship' mentality of forcing characters together.

There was a period where a Tony Stark/Steve Rogers ship was popping up frequently. I had to learn how to mask such topics from my timeline. And nothing against same-sex relationships. But this topic had the craziest images floating around.

:eek:

A recurring theme of the show is family.  The main character is an orphan who lost his family. He has now become a father.  Romance was a recurring theme in season one.  Bo is setting herself up to become a Queen who is seeking to restablish her dynastic line and repopulate her world. There is I think a subplot.  We will see. No demands are being made by me (which is what shipped I think accurately means) but I have a different view of the writing than you guys do.  Maybe because I do not carry the baggage of watching the clone wars cartoon.  I am curious to see where they take this Thrawn plot but I am confident it will not be true to the Zahn books as that ship sailed. So I don’t spend much time worrying about prior stories. But I certainly could be wrong.  

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/20/2023 at 11:11 PM, sfcityduck said:

Disney is kicking butt on Star Wars.  Andor was fantastic! They proved they could tell adult stories in the Star Wars universe and make them entertaining and incredibly well-acted. Mandalorian is great fan service in line with the traditional Star Wars tone.  And they are using the TV shows to fill in the gaps in the main movies much like Agent Carter successfully did.  Ahsoka looks like a good show based on the teaser and it seems clear that Mando and Ahsoka are leading up to the cloning of the Emperor and the contraction of the rebellion that led to the Rey movies. I'm much happier with Star Wars today then I was in the Jar Jar Binks days, and that's clearly due to Disney.

The best decision Disney has made was to make Clone Wars cannon. If it wasn’t for the success of Filoni’s Clone Wars and Rebels, and Disney wising up to that, we’d still be getting fed the same rehashed storytelling we saw in the sequels. 

On 4/20/2023 at 9:11 PM, sfcityduck said:

Disney is kicking butt on Star Wars.  Andor was fantastic! They proved they could tell adult stories in the Star Wars universe and make them entertaining and incredibly well-acted. Mandalorian is great fan service in line with the traditional Star Wars tone.  And they are using the TV shows to fill in the gaps in the main movies much like Agent Carter successfully did.  Ahsoka looks like a good show based on the teaser and it seems clear that Mando and Ahsoka are leading up to the cloning of the Emperor and the contraction of the rebellion that led to the Rey movies. I'm much happier with Star Wars today then I was in the Jar Jar Binks days, and that's clearly due to Disney.

Disney is doing to Star Wars on-screen what Dark Horse did in the 90's in comics: expanding on something great, with awesome stories about the characters. I think they are doing quite well with it, I just think that when it comes to executive decisions on some individual situations, the company really hammers themselves with - what seems to me - personal reactions, rather than business reactions. When it comes to creative decisions, they seem to do ok (with the exception of the last trilogy).

I really tried on Andor, I just couldn't get past the first episode (despite everyone saying once you get past the first two, it becomes excellent). Someday I'll probably give it another shot because everyone seems to like it. I just need to be laid up or sick or something to start it over.

On 4/21/2023 at 6:53 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Disney is doing to Star Wars on-screen what Dark Horse did in the 90's in comics: expanding on something great, with awesome stories about the characters. I think they are doing quite well with it, I just think that when it comes to executive decisions on some individual situations, the company really hammers themselves with - what seems to me - personal reactions, rather than business reactions. When it comes to creative decisions, they seem to do ok (with the exception of the last trilogy).

I really tried on Andor, I just couldn't get past the first episode (despite everyone saying once you get past the first two, it becomes excellent). Someday I'll probably give it another shot because everyone seems to like it. I just need to be laid up or sick or something to start it over.

The final episode of Andor is one of the best tv episodes I have ever seen. The acting is incredible.  The first three episodes are necessary background but the series gets better as it goes along.

The best Star Wars printed works to me are the first three Zahn books, the Daley books, and the Rogue Squadron books.  Almost all printed works are not canon anymore though and nothing is really safe including details from the Lucas films.

On 4/21/2023 at 8:55 AM, sfcityduck said:

The best Star Wars printed works to me are the first three Zahn books, the Daley books, and the Rogue Squadron books.  Almost all printed works are not canon anymore though and nothing is really safe including details from the Lucas films.

There's something nostalgic about the olden days where we got really great stories in book form because the entertainment industry wasn't there on creating tv shows or movies. I never read any of the Star Wars books, but I read a lot of Star Trek TNG books, and for the most part, pretty good reads.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:40 AM, sfcityduck said:

A recurring theme of the show is family.  The main character is an orphan who lost his family. He has now become a father.  Romance was a recurring theme in season one.  Bo is setting herself up to become a Queen who is seeking to restablish her dynastic line and repopulate her world. There is I think a subplot.  We will see. No demands are being made by me (which is what shipped I think accurately means) but I have a different view of the writing than you guys do.  Maybe because I do not carry the baggage of watching the clone wars cartoon.  I am curious to see where they take this Thrawn plot but I am confident it will not be true to the Zahn books as that ship sailed. So I don’t spend much time worrying about prior stories. But I certainly could be wrong.  

Hmm I always assumed ‘shipped’ was short for relationship? I may be misunderstanding you tho. It’s been a minute since I watched S1 but I thought it was only one episode where the romance theme popped up?

For me, it doesn’t make sense for Mando to have a relationship. He’s a fighter! Not a lover! Weapons are his religion! He should be kicking a-zz…not eating it! 

:devil:

Edited by bentbryan

On 4/21/2023 at 9:40 AM, sfcityduck said:

I am curious to see where they take this Thrawn plot but I am confident it will not be true to the Zahn books as that ship sailed.

The Thrawn plot in Ahsoka and later shows/movies will be Act 2 and 3 of his story. We’ve already been introduced and become familiar with him through his role as on of the main antagonists in the later seasons of Rebels. I’d recommend checking out Season 3 and 4 of Rebels if you’d like to see how he’s been introduced and what his motivations are/were when we last saw him. 

On 4/21/2023 at 5:38 AM, Bosco685 said:

One of the elements I strongly dislike is the whole 'ship' mentality of forcing characters together.

There was a period where a Tony Stark/Steve Rogers ship was popping up frequently. I had to learn how to mask such topics from my timeline. And nothing against same-sex relationships. But this topic had the craziest images floating around.

To me "shipping" isn't just referring to romantic relationships, it could simply be bromances.  "Shipping" Tony and Steve (or Steve and Bucky or Steve and Sam) is about the contrasting personalities and the fun interactions that could potentially occur by matching them up and sending them off on adventures.  For example with Falcon and the Winter Soldier.  People "shipped" Bucky and Sam and it led to some fun back and forth.  No one's looking for anything sexual, just something entertaining akin to having a buddy cop.

On 4/21/2023 at 6:53 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I really tried on Andor, I just couldn't get past the first episode

I think as someone who watched Clone Wars and Rebels, I've seen firsthand the benefits of a slower, more plodding storyline, and how when done correctly, can lead to some very excellent finales.  I commented in the Picard thread that a lot of shows these days are very focused on being engaging from episode 1 onwards, but a lot of those slow, early episodes are there to develop characters.  If I jump headlong into the action, then I'm not as emotionally invested when something goes wrong.  But if a character background is developed and I see the progression, then when all hell breaks loose in act 3, the payoff is so much more satisfying.  I guess in comic terms, it's like skipping all the character arcs in Jonathan Hickman's epic Marvel (FF/Avengers/Secret Wars) run. Maybe I just read Infinity and Secret Wars, but I'd be doing myself a disservice by not reading FF first.  Andor's the same way.  It's a ball rolling down a hill.  It starts off slow, builds steam, and just runs you over by the final episode.

On 4/21/2023 at 1:51 PM, ExNihilo said:

To me "shipping" isn't just referring to romantic relationships, it could simply be bromances.  "Shipping" Tony and Steve (or Steve and Bucky or Steve and Sam) is about the contrasting personalities and the fun interactions that could potentially occur by matching them up and sending them off on adventures.  For example with Falcon and the Winter Soldier.  People "shipped" Bucky and Sam and it led to some fun back and forth.  No one's looking for anything sexual, just something entertaining akin to having a buddy cop.

You missed the important part.

On 4/21/2023 at 8:38 AM, Bosco685 said:

But this topic had the craziest images floating around.

Trust me. The many posts in Twitter that were pushing the Stark/Rodgers 'shipping' was more than bromance.

On 4/21/2023 at 10:51 AM, ExNihilo said:

ship-my-pants-kmart.gif.7e64d98838296fd32d864c203e9c3ce6.gifconvenient-shipped-my-pants.gif.fc7dfd611f460fa3ac6ea9ecdd60d516.gifship-the-bed-shipped-my-bed.gif.88057a3a77bbd3ef1be6cd89e3f5eb35.gif