• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE MANDALORIAN Show
7 7

1,256 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2023 at 8:56 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Yeah. Probably Heir to the Empire. Thrawn is defeated but the First Order remains and is empowered. Hands off to the sequels. 

That's where I see a lot of this season steering us toward.  Filoni has been trying to make sense of JJ Abrams sequels by building the bridges to them and giving reasons for what they were doing and how they were doing it.   The very fact that we are still talking about cloning is a major indicator of this. 

Meanwhile, on the Bad Batch, they too are also making 'cloning' a major plot point and overall theme showing that the Emperor is interested in preserving and advancing cloning techniques for years to come. 

On 4/9/2023 at 8:33 AM, Buzzetta said:

That's where I see a lot of this season steering us toward.  Filoni has been trying to make sense of JJ Abrams sequels by building the bridges to them and giving reasons for what they were doing and how they were doing it.   The very fact that we are still talking about cloning is a major indicator of this. 

Meanwhile, on the Bad Batch, they too are also making 'cloning' a major plot point and overall theme showing that the Emperor is interested in preserving and advancing cloning techniques for years to come. 

Yup. After Bad Batch hit the mid point it really got into that and got really good. 

There are a couple things I’m curious about that I’m not sure Filoni will be able to get into with the shows and possible the movie.

The biggest is the whole Rule of 2, if Palpatine is still out there, there has to be an apprentice. There was so much left out of the sequels that would have made for great movies. 

On 4/9/2023 at 12:20 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Yup. After Bad Batch hit the mid point it really got into that and got really good. 

There are a couple things I’m curious about that I’m not sure Filoni will be able to get into with the shows and possible the movie.

The biggest is the whole Rule of 2, if Palpatine is still out there, there has to be an apprentice. There was so much left out of the sequels that would have made for great movies. 

I see all this Star Wars, and still wonder........  Why the hell did they just not make Heir to the Empire instead of the sequel trilogy. 

On 4/9/2023 at 12:39 PM, drotto said:

I see all this Star Wars, and still wonder........  Why the hell did they just not make Heir to the Empire instead of the sequel trilogy. 

That’s exactly what they should have done, and likely, wished they’d done. 

It would have made perfect sense. Instead we got a rehashed garbage plate of ANH and the stomach issues that followed to close out the trilogy. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 4/9/2023 at 12:53 PM, awakeintheashes said:

That’s exactly what they should have done, and likely, wished they’d done. 

It would have made perfect sense. Instead we got a rehashed garbage plate of ANH and the stomach issues that followed to close out the trilogy. 

The only issue I see with it was it would likely have required recasting Han, Luke, and Leia. Or changing the story to focus on their direct descendants.

I may have been hesitant to that initially,  but given the last 8 years, it would have been for the best.

I didn't read the 'Heir to the Empire' trilogy until the 2000's, after working my way through all the novels ahead of it in the (now) so-called 'Legends' timeline. While I dug the Mara Jade character, overall, I was underwhelmed with the trilogy. I think this is partially due to it being a product of its time and partially due to the fact that Timothy Zahn became a much better writer over the years. As such, I wouldn't have been overly excited if they had announced they were doing the trilogy, but in retrospect anything would have been better than the trilogy we did get.

On 4/9/2023 at 1:01 PM, drotto said:

The only issue I see with it was it would likely have required recasting Han, Luke, and Leia. Or changing the story to focus on their direct descendants.

I may have been hesitant to that initially,  but given the last 8 years, it would have been for the best.

They honestly could have just done what they are doing now with Ahsoka.  Rebels did a great job reintroducing Thrawn and could have just picked up with a trilogy where Rebels ended. 

On 4/9/2023 at 1:26 PM, mtracy64 said:

I didn't read the 'Heir to the Empire' trilogy until the 2000's, after working my way through all the novels ahead of it in the (now) so-called 'Legends' timeline. While I dug the Mara Jade character, overall, I was underwhelmed with the trilogy. I think this is partially due to it being a product of its time and partially due to the fact that Timothy Zahn became a much better writer over the years. As such, I wouldn't have been overly excited if they had announced they were doing the trilogy, but in retrospect anything would have been better than the trilogy we did get.

You have to remember that when that series was originally released there was very, very, very little in the way of Star Wars (the 3 movies, some comics, and the RPG).  All the other books (excluding "Splinter of the Minds Eye") that are now "non-cannon" had not been written yet.  For us that grew up in the time frame it was huge and awesome to revisit our heroes again.

On 4/9/2023 at 3:05 PM, media_junkie said:

You have to remember that when that series was originally released there was very, very, very little in the way of Star Wars (the 3 movies, some comics, and the RPG).  All the other books (excluding "Splinter of the Minds Eye") that are now "non-cannon" had not been written yet.  For us that grew up in the time frame it was huge and awesome to revisit our heroes again.

Plus, Lucas at the time fully endorsed the series, and said he viewed it as his episodes 7 to 9.

On 4/9/2023 at 3:14 PM, drotto said:

Plus, Lucas at the time fully endorsed the series, and said he viewed it as his episodes 7 to 9.

I knew Lucas endorsed the series, but I didn't know he had likened it to be episodes 7 to 9.  

On 4/9/2023 at 12:20 PM, awakeintheashes said:

You know, I never thought of that.

I wonder if there actually IS an apprentice running around out there. 

We are getting a Sith Warrior named Baylan Skoll in Ahsoka... 

Ahsoka_online_trailer_uhd_r709f_stills_230329.webp

On 4/9/2023 at 3:05 PM, media_junkie said:

I was 13 when the first movie came out, read 'Splinter' when it came out, but wasn't paying attention to Star Wars by 1991. The prequels got me into the Dark Horse comics and then the novels. I do like just about everything else Star wars Zahn has done.

The casting of Christopher Lloyd aside, I did appreciate his character’s loyalty to Dooku’s message/vision. Even if it was a brief mention at the end of the episode.

If you watch Tales of the Jedi, you get a good cliff’s notes version of Dooku’s disillusionment with not only the Jedi Council, but also with the Republic. The later of which, you could say was quite principled and could play a large part in some people’s hesitance to accept or join the New Republic.   

I have liked this season as much as season 1 and 2. I am now in episode 21. I feel that some of negative reviews/comments are coming from Andor fans or some people are building some kinda Mandalorian vs Andor.. I dunno it is strange because both are Star Wars shows and I like them both so whatever..

The sequel trilogy wasn't planned out, so I don't think the Rule of Two was a consideration for TFA because there wasn't any indication that Palpatine was still alive. The Knights of Ren seemed to indicate that the Order of the Sith was dead, allowing for multiple dark lords to exist at once.

On 4/12/2023 at 1:22 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The sequel trilogy wasn't planned out, so I don't think the Rule of Two was a consideration for TFA because there wasn't any indication that Palpatine was still alive. The Knights of Ren seemed to indicate that the Order of the Sith was dead, allowing for multiple dark lords to exist at once.

I have no doubts the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who put together the sequels had no idea about basic Star Wars concepts and lore outside of the OT. Johnson had enough knowledge of some deep cuts to hold a conversation with someone at a convention, but never really understood how and why things work.

It has been F&F's job to try to make the sequel trilogy make canonical sense by inserting basic SW principles, which as we've seen through the ridiculous amount of content produced, is a much heavier lift than what Filoni had to do to make the prequels palatable (possibly preferred by late millennials and Gen Z) with his work on Clone Wars and Rebels. I'd be surprised if the Rule of Two doesn't get even a passing mention during Mando, Ahsoka, or Filoni's movie.