• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's with the need for owning multiple copies?

153 posts in this topic

I see multiple copies like the ones batman_fan shared and I can't help but get a little excited. I love seeing the same cover several times. I just don't know why. I like it even more when they're the same grade. I've got about ten copies of ASM 265 and five copies of several different Avengers issues from the same period. Don't know why. I just want more of them. Love those multiples!!!

Geez I think batman fan just destroyed this thread

If only I had pictures of all the multiples I have hm:insane:

:taptaptap:

I see multiple copies like the ones batman_fan shared and I can't help but get a little excited. I love seeing the same cover several times. I just don't know why.

Thats the Warhol effect

I see multiple copies like the ones batman_fan shared and I can't help but get a little excited. I love seeing the same cover several times. I just don't know why. I like it even more when they're the same grade. I've got about ten copies of ASM 265 and five copies of several different Avengers issues from the same period. Don't know why. I just want more of them. Love those multiples!!!

Answer your own question, then. Why?

Just think of the printers who saw thousands of Action #1 side by side....

I know a guy who bought Action #1 off the stands when he was 7-a guy lifting a car was too much to resist so he made a big fuss.

I get that same feeling when I see multiple copies of a book. I find it very difficult to let anything go.

I prefer raw books, however, I do have some multiple copies with the same CGC grade.

If I remember, perhaps I will post one tomorrow, if that is what you are interested in.

If it is a good book and I feel it is offered at a good price that I simply cannot pass up and the money is not an issue (meaning, I don't need that money to ship out other people's items that they have bought from me unlike certain other people... <--- see what I did there?)

I buy it.

I've been hoarding ASM 14's and 37's.

I have at least six of each.

If it is a good book and I feel it is offered at a good price that I simply cannot pass up and the money is not an issue (meaning, I don't need that money to ship out other people's items that they have bought from me unlike certain other people... <--- see what I did there?)

I buy it.

I've been hoarding ASM 14's and 37's.

I have at least six of each.

For me, it's what Buzzetta said. Part of being a collector is it's hard to pass up a bargain. When I was in high school, I was focused on finishing my Iron Man run, so I was tuned into those books and felt $20-$30 was insanely cheap for decent copies of #1 so I bought one whenever I found it locally (pre-internet). So I have five. Also, as a collector, when you like something and get a kick out of just looking at it, there's something even cooler about looking at 2 or 5 side by side. And IM#1 is a pretty nifty cover. Far from my only multiple, but it's a good example.

On the other hand, I bought 50 Elementals #1 when it was new. That was speculation; driven by love of the content. I was convinced it would be a hit. Until Willingham lost steam for his own creation, it did okay. And it's still a really nice cover. I have 13 left, but who's counting....

Also, as a collector, when you like something and get a kick out of just looking at it, there's something even cooler about looking at 2 or 5 side by side. And IM#1 is a pretty nifty cover. Far from my only multiple, but it's a good example.

The buzz for me is seeing a run that someone carefully pieced together, not a pile of the same thing. A straight flush beats four of a kind.