• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's with the need for owning multiple copies?

153 posts in this topic

When it comes to a personal collection, what's the reasoning behind collecting multiple copies of the same issue? Psychologically, what's behind that desire? I understand that for speculators, you buy multiple copies to sell when the issue is hot. But I for one love buying the same issue over and over again for my PC, and I'm not sure what's driving that urge. Thoughts?

Because some comic books are better to own than most stocks. (shrug)

eBay%2042_zpsvs7g8uaa.jpg

eBay%2044_zpsqahxonaf.jpg

and some you sell when the Netflix series go live in 2017. (shrug)

eBay%2041_zpsrked4kum.jpg

I don't see the point, I never have owned more than one copy of any comic. The few I got multiple copies of somehow, I got rid of. Let someone else enjoy it, why should I hog it? I don't need more than one anyway.

As for golden age comics and comics that are in demand, it seems to me people just want to get as many as they can or more than one to feel like they are better than people because they have them. Same with grading, they want to feel great and want a higher number on the made up meaningless grading scale to feel better than people. No one hoards like multiple issues of some 80s heathcliff comic or some comic no one care about, they hoard comics that are popular and in demand to show off they have them. Which is fine, but to me it is greedy and an ego thing it seems. I wouldn't do it, i want people to enjoy a comic if they want it, not have me sitting on two or twenty copies.

No one hoards like multiple issues of some 80s heathcliff comic or some comic no one care about, they hoard comics that are popular and in demand to show off they have them. Which is fine, but to me it is greedy and an ego thing it seems. I wouldn't do it, i want people to enjoy a comic if they want it, not have me sitting on two or twenty copies.

Gonna beg to differ on this one. Will post pics tomorrow. :D

I don't see the point, I never have owned more than one copy of any comic. The few I got multiple copies of somehow, I got rid of. Let someone else enjoy it, why should I hog it? I don't need more than one anyway.

As for golden age comics and comics that are in demand, it seems to me people just want to get as many as they can or more than one to feel like they are better than people because they have them. Same with grading, they want to feel great and want a higher number on the made up meaningless grading scale to feel better than people. No one hoards like multiple issues of some 80s heathcliff comic or some comic no one care about, they hoard comics that are popular and in demand to show off they have them. Which is fine, but to me it is greedy and an ego thing it seems. I wouldn't do it, i want people to enjoy a comic if they want it, not have me sitting on two or twenty copies.

Nice way to alienate a large chunk of the boards :whistle:

Did you not see my pic a few pages back, no one cares about that book, others I have were acquired during bulk deals, yes I have upgraded some issues as I wanted a better copy for myself.

The time, effort and cost involved to sell my duplicates is not something I will ever care to do, but believe me it is not greedy or ego at all.

You need to give your head a shake I think :makepoint:

The time, effort and cost involved to sell my duplicates is not something I will ever care to do, but believe me it is not greedy or ego at all.

Getting stuck with a comic, and going out to buy ever copy of a key you can find are obviously two very different things.

The point was made earlier that the opportunity cost of buying multiples is the other books you could buy with that money. Unless you plan to sell or invest, there's no good reason to own more than a slab and a reader.

No one hoards like multiple issues of some 80s heathcliff comic or some comic no one care about, they hoard comics that are popular and in demand to show off they have them. Which is fine, but to me it is greedy and an ego thing it seems. I wouldn't do it, i want people to enjoy a comic if they want it, not have me sitting on two or twenty copies.

Gonna beg to differ on this one. Will post pics tomorrow. :D

Getting stuck with a comic, and going out to buy ever copy of a key you can find are obviously two very different things.

The point was made earlier that the opportunity cost of buying multiples is the other books you could buy with that money. Unless you plan to sell or invest, there's no good reason to own more than a slab and a reader.

Here you go. Common modern variant. I love the Black Widow and this cover never fails to bring a smile to my face so I usually buy a copy whenever I see one for $5 or under. I don't think I'm depriving anyone. Plenty of these to go around and the copies I bought off ebay seem to have been sitting there for a couple years given the title said "preorder, release 01/08/14".

The raw copy on the upper left in Mylar Archive is the first floppy I ever bought. Never realized until now but copies stored in Mylar actually look a lot nicer than those in slabs. :cloud9:

ni58GESl.jpg

I have never been stuck with a comic, nor have I ever tried to buy every copy of any keys.

To give an example, I have 3 Daredevil #1s, maybe more I am unsure, I have had them a long time, if I sold them back when, I may have got a few $100 each, if I sold them now I may get a few $1000 each but I choose to keep them.

Why do I have to have a reason beyond that, I don't sell comics as I want them, I love comics, simple as that.

We are not all the same