• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,646 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2023 at 9:01 PM, Spyder! said:

Care to elaborate? The vast majority of the Planet covers are pretty highly regarded. 

Yeah I had always assumed this was obvious. I know several SA/BA Marvel collectors (me included here) who despite that consider FH covers to be the greatest single run of killer covers in the history of comics. I prefer collecting SA and BA Marvels, but with a few notable exceptions the covers are boring by comparison to FH covers, my only qualifier might be that some of the FH comic covers were variants or swipes from comparable pulp titles...but that is a small thing imo

On 7/9/2023 at 9:37 PM, StingerMcK said:

Here is a better look at #2. I was eyeing a #1 at the show but it did not present well and was a little over priced. I went with #2 instead and it's a former CGC 5.0. The label was on the back of the board. 

PXL_20230710_013030893_MP.thumb.jpg.c596e0ae7baf01bbbb27a4672414c0fd.jpg

Love it, one of my top wants, and my favourite Sheena artist, so jealous 

On 7/9/2023 at 9:37 PM, StingerMcK said:

Here is a better look at #2. I was eyeing a #1 at the show but it did not present well and was a little over priced. I went with #2 instead and it's a former CGC 5.0. The label was on the back of the board. 

PXL_20230710_013030893_MP.thumb.jpg.c596e0ae7baf01bbbb27a4672414c0fd.jpg

Looks good! #1 is extremely common, but it's tough to find with good cover colors. You made the right choice.

On 7/9/2023 at 6:12 PM, crassus said:

Yeah I had always assumed this was obvious. I know several SA/BA Marvel collectors (me included here) who despite that consider FH covers to be the greatest single run of killer covers in the history of comics. I prefer collecting SA and BA Marvels, but with a few notable exceptions the covers are boring by comparison to FH covers, my only qualifier might be that some of the FH comic covers were variants or swipes from comparable pulp titles...but that is a small thing imo

Actually, probably the other way around. The Planet Stories covers had a lot of swipes from the comics that proceeded them. 

On 7/10/2023 at 7:53 PM, Robot Man said:

Actually, probably the other way around. The Planet Stories covers had a lot of swipes from the comics that proceeded them. 

Thanks for clarifying that, I had always assumed (wrongly I realize) that pulps predated or preceded any comics 

On 7/1/2023 at 11:39 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I like over half of them, and there aren't many titles I can say that about. I probably like the Joe Doolin covers the least, but even he had some good ones.

I'm especially partial to the Lily Renee covers in part because I dig the idea of a female artist drawing covers in the boys club that was GA comic publishing.

1905161936051.jpg

2503230814101.jpg

Those look familiar…

On 7/10/2023 at 7:27 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Every once in a while I like to pick up a low-grade raw comic so that I can enjoy the interior art. I picked up this Jungle on MyComicShop tonight. It may not be a forever book, but I hope to enjoy it for two or three years. (Is that Barney in the background?)

Jungle16A.jpg

So you’re the one who outbid me! Congrats! That’s a tough issue to find. :golfclap:

On 7/10/2023 at 9:39 PM, cheetah said:

What’s not to love?

Planet66FC.jpg

Planet35.jpg

Planet49804x1280_zps111a5df5.jpg

The "big cat" returns to his old hunting grounds. :hi:

On 7/11/2023 at 1:25 AM, adamstrange said:

The "big cat" returns to his old hunting grounds. :hi:

I couldn’t stand by and watch an iconic series belittled!

FWIW, I’m back in the states for 4-6 weeks and am going to take the time to sell the last of my GA books.  It’s nice to see so many old boarders are still excited about fiction house titles.  Under appreciated for too many years.