• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,632 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2023 at 9:08 AM, szav said:

Kinda looks like Baker faces, dunno you might be right.  @Dr. Love and @adamstrange what do you experts think please?  Could Fight 35 be the first Baker professional work vs Jumbo 69 (as stated in Art of Glamour) by a week?

Looking at the artwork in Fight 34 the Tiger Girl in that issue does not look like Baker at all, and looking at 36 (which is credited as Baker by Art of Glamour) looks like this.

Comic Book Cover For Fight Comics 36

I agree I don’t see any baker in 34 with one potential exception.   The only possible for me is single women in splash of shark Brodie which looks Blum but had nuances w Bakeresque figure as if Baker was standing at his desk doing drive by in bull pen.   I can imagine him making suggestion or even showing off skill as first time introducing himself w editor and other artists standing around. Nothing official as payroll but causal “hey baker let see what you got “   Then I imagine his first day in office he is partnered w Blum on stories that go into fight 35 and jumbo 69    As it happens publishing scheduling are such that fight hit’s newsstand week prior.    Splitting hairs but fun to consider.   

On 2/22/2023 at 10:08 AM, szav said:

Kinda looks like Baker faces, dunno you might be right.  @Dr. Love and @adamstrange what do you experts think please?  Could Fight 35 be the first Baker professional work vs Jumbo 69 (as stated in Art of Glamour) by a week?

The early work of an artist at a sweatshop like Iger is going to be hard to identify with certainty.  I do think there's a good possibility of Baker being involved with inks in the story, but it will take someone with more interest than I have in Baker's early/formative/primitive stages to be confident of it.

On 2/22/2023 at 10:14 AM, Robot Man said:

Isn’t the cover on #35 enough reason to want it? 

Agreed.

On 2/22/2023 at 10:25 AM, szav said:

For further reference the Baker (AoG credited) Skygirl from Jumbo 69.

Comic Book Cover For Jumbo Comics 069

The right panel is superb, clearly Baker and clearly miles ahead of where the other FH artists were in their depiction of women.  The other art, including his alleged first work in Fight 35, pales in comparison.

On 2/21/2023 at 11:24 PM, MattTheDuck said:

MCS has "likely" Baker in this issue.  "Good-girl art aplenty as Senorita Rio tracks an heiress abducted by the Nazis. Inking likely done by famed good-girl artist Matt Baker, who started in comics at this time.

On 2/21/2023 at 11:39 PM, comicnoir said:

They'll do anything to sell a comic. Can anyone really tell Baker's inks for certain?

Inkin’ don’t mean nothin’.

Unless he did the pencils, who cares?

Edited by Spyder!

On 2/22/2023 at 11:27 AM, Foxtrot70 said:

I agree I don’t see any baker in 34 with one potential exception.   The only possible for me is single women in splash of shark Brodie which looks Blum but had nuances w Bakeresque figure as if Baker was standing at his desk doing drive by in bull pen.   I can imagine him making suggestion or even showing off skill as first time introducing himself w editor and other artists standing around. Nothing official as payroll but causal “hey baker let see what you got “   Then I imagine his first day in office he is partnered w Blum on stories that go into fight 35 and jumbo 69    As it happens publishing scheduling are such that fight hit’s newsstand week prior.    Splitting hairs but fun to consider.   

Can't we just proclaim on February 22, 2023 that Fighg 35 is bakers first work and call it day lol😆 

On 2/22/2023 at 1:16 PM, adamstrange said:

The right panel is superb, clearly Baker and clearly miles ahead of where the other FH artists were in their depiction of women.  The other art, including his alleged first work in Fight 35, pales in comparison.

I wouldn't go that far. This could be Alex Blum, who was great in his own right. Some of his stuff is hard to distinguish from Baker. 

On 2/24/2023 at 4:40 PM, MrBedrock said:

It is great seeing all of the Baker talk in regards to Fight 35. I personally think he worked on the entire book. Every panel of every story.

But what do I know? I am horrible at attributions...

fight35.jpg

Is the “topless woman cover” a recent addition to notes at CGC? I really don’t remember seeing that before…???

On 2/24/2023 at 6:57 PM, N e r V said:

Is the “topless woman cover” a recent addition to notes at CGC? I really don’t remember seeing that before…???

Those nerds probably just noticed.

On 2/22/2023 at 7:34 AM, Foxtrot70 said:

I appreciate all hard work they did but as with any scholarship they are never the last word.   So to answer the question here are few baker panels.  Keep in mind Iger studio has mult artists per story and likely Baker is only pencils with someone inking.   In other words he assisted on Tiger girl, Hooks, and Shark B but I am not saying every tiger girl is Baker in this issue.  Later he is more prominent.   

C87FCAEC-D2C2-44BA-9A02-AAA57A266C6C.png

8DD19456-E6BB-48A5-87FB-AB12A34BAB93.jpeg

Both pages look like Alex Blum and early Matt Baker.