• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need advice
1 1

153 posts in this topic

I wanted to add, have fun with this process. This is your childhood collection and clearly you loved it. I bet looking through the books has brought back some great memories of your youth. Consider keeping one or two books to frame and display. Go to ebay and type in a few of your books and look to see what they're selling for and giggle.

This is a connection to your past and a wonderful windfall and selling it should be a wonderful adventure. And when you get your tractor consider covering it with superhero paintings.

I wanted to add, have fun with this process. This is your childhood collection and clearly you loved it. I bet looking through the books has brought back some great memories of your youth. Consider keeping one or two books to frame and display. Go to ebay and type in a few of your books and look to see what they're selling for and giggle.

This is a connection to your past and a wonderful windfall and selling it should be a wonderful adventure. And when you get your tractor consider covering it with superhero paintings.

Yes! Do it :wishluck:

I referred to the green lantern as stuff I had as a 10 year old in 1959. I acquired the AF15 in 1969 in a way no one will beleive. I bought the spiderman 17-40 in 1970 and also the FF4 stuff. Same with Journey into mystery for the earlier ones. Most of my buying off the rack occurred starting in 1968 and continuing to about 1972-3

My early comics from 1959 all went to the dump. Thanks Mom.

It indeed is the real deal. I can see why you might think otherwise .

Sorry paper decomposes too fast. Mom's everywhere are responsible for this. I remember once being at my aunt's house in Michigan as a little little boy and she passed all these comics through the car window to us in the back since we were leaving on a multiple day drive west. My dad saw we had them and he was so pissed off , he took them, stopped at the next Howard Johnson's and threw them all out.

Remember this stuff was going to rot the minds of the youth of America. Who knew it would become their nest egg for retirement? The end of the silver age defined the time period where even Mom's finally knew to not chuck this stuff. Everybody was buying multiples off the news stand by 1972.

The next age? Maybe buying stuff that cost $3.75 each was too much of a financial burden for a lot of people. I still can't explain Amazing spiderman 129 or Iron man 55. I have them both in multiples. I won't argue, I just don't get it. I want to know how much Stan Lee charges for a signature.

Now do you want to know which Howard Johnson's?

Sorry paper decomposes too fast. Mom's everywhere are responsible for this. I remember once being at my aunt's house in Michigan as a little little boy and she passed all these comics through the car window to us in the back since we were leaving on a multiple day drive west. My dad saw we had them and he was so pissed off , he took them, stopped at the next Howard Johnson's and threw them all out.

Remember this stuff was going to rot the minds of the youth of America. Who knew it would become their nest egg for retirement? The end of the silver age defined the time period where even Mom's finally knew to not chuck this stuff. Everybody was buying multiples off the news stand by 1972.

The next age? Maybe buying stuff that cost $3.75 each was too much of a financial burden for a lot of people. I still can't explain Amazing spiderman 129 or Iron man 55. I have them both in multiples. I won't argue, I just don't get it. I want to know how much Stan Lee charges for a signature.

The ASM 129 andd IM 55 are puzzling-they weren't even worth much back when you were buying them. I remember in the 70s at my LCS ASM 129 wasnt worth any more than 128 or 130-about $1.50. I believe IM 55 becoming valuable is only relatively recent with the movies. Others can chime in that know more. Why someone would buy multiple first Thanos back in the 70s when he was no particular thing is a mystery.

The ASM 129 andd IM 55 are puzzling-they weren't even worth much back when you were buying them. I remember in the 70s at my LCS ASM 129 wasnt worth any more than 128 or 130-about $1.50. I believe IM 55 becoming valuable is only relatively recent with the movies. Others can chime in that know more. Why someone would buy multiple first Thanos back in the 70s when he was no particular thing is a mystery.

My first recollection of IM 55 taking off was 1991.

IM 55 went hot when Thanos became a top Marvel villain and Avengers foe. Collectors would ask every dealer "you got Thanos?" And every convention causing dealers to scratch their heads at collectors weird interests... Ignoring all the "good stuff" on the wall. It was the beginning of the suddenly obscure book becoming the hot book du jour due to a new series, character reintroduction, and then movie and TV appearance.

well, I got multiple spidey129's in fact. I only have one of the iron man 55. It was an accident actually.

It's a great example of being careful at the news stand. One of the 129's has the staples set perfectly. The other has the staples set about 1/8th in up off center. That caused the spine to roll. Only one was ever read and it, once. The difference in value is not insubstantial.

These were not fine art contributions. It was a low ball biz.at .15 cents. I had about eight copies to choose from at the bus depot. Since at the time it never occurred to me that this kind of anal retentive stuff would go on. I was not exactly selective. At this point, maybe I wish I had been a bit more of a snot. I just took it all home and loved it to death waiting for the next first tuesday of the month. That is what it once was all about after all. When Silver surfer # 4 never showed up, we had a really bad month. ( low distribution) .

I just want to really thank all of you responding.

Edited by Glassman10

I'm confused why you said you had 55 in multiples and now just one copy. Are you saying you have 2 ASM?

that's correct. We're still in inventory world. Just the pure sorting is hard enough. The ASM are 2 (two) one has centered staples in the 129 , the other doesn't. In Iron man I have one ( 1) 55 and no more sadly.

I do have a LOT of Jack Kirby Mr Miracle, Forever People and New Gods . All excellent. I Always felt badly for Kirby making the move from Marvel to DC and starting those books and having them not really work out that well. Kirby for me was the best artist Marvel had..

I just have a lot of books here. I don't want to handle lot until the backing boards come. It's like a drunk trying to get back on the wagon. I had a great time reading Dr Strange in bed two nights back. That's actually what it was supposed to be about.

that's correct. We're still in inventory world. Just the pure sorting is hard enough. The ASM are 2 (two) one has centered staples in the 129 , the other doesn't. In Iron man I have one ( 1) 55 and no more sadly.

I do have a LOT of Jack Kirby Mr Miracle, Forever People and New Gods . All excellent. I Always felt badly for Kirby making the move from Marvel to DC and starting those books and having them not really work out that well. Kirby for me was the best artist Marvel had..

I just have a lot of books here. I don't want to handle lot until the backing boards come. It's like a drunk trying to get back on the wagon. I had a great time reading Dr Strange in bed two nights back. That's actually what it was supposed to be about.

.... they now have Marvel Masterworks editions that collect the equivalent of 10 issues reprinted in each volume.... soft or hardback..... you may want to treat yourself to a few.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The Dr strange was indeed a reprint. I think we're now looking at reprints of reprints of reprints. At this point, If it doesn't have a cover, I feel no immediate guilt.

lol

...I think we're going to like you..... have you considered keeping one or two as mementos ? .... it wouldn't have to be an expensive one. You're never too old for them.... I started picking them up off the rack in '67.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Welcome to the boards! Thanks for sharing your story in how you come to buy these books originally from years ago. You were there picking the book off the rack in 1968, I started picking my books off the spinner rack in 1973. I was a 5 years old boy with my mom paid for whatever comics I like off the rack. It's funny with time periods like that.

Would like to see what yours look like in pictures. Good luck with your adventure to get your books graded at CGC.

well, I got multiple spidey129's in fact. I only have one of the iron man 55. It was an accident actually.

It's a great example of being careful at the news stand. One of the 129's has the staples set perfectly. The other has the staples set about 1/8th in up off center. That caused the spine to roll. Only one was ever read and it, once. The difference in value is not insubstantial.

These were not fine art contributions. It was a low ball biz.at .15 cents. I had about eight copies to choose from at the bus depot. Since at the time it never occurred to me that this kind of anal retentive stuff would go on. I was not exactly selective. At this point, maybe I wish I had been a bit more of a snot. I just took it all home and loved it to death waiting for the next first tuesday of the month. That is what it once was all about after all. When Silver surfer # 4 never showed up, we had a really bad month. ( low distribution) .

I just want to really thank all of you responding.

Welcome to the boards, and please enjoy this process! I am confused by one thing above -- "low ball biz at .15 cents" -- Isn't ASM129 a .20-cent cover price?

Your collection is exactly the same as one I purchased in November 2015. My advice? Get as many books as you want, send them to Matt Nelson for pressing and work, who will then send them to CGC for grading.

Once that happens, send them directly to Comiclink. My personal opinion is that Comiclink is better for what I believe your books are - nice but not uber high grade. They can also give you money upfront if you want to go that route.

I wouldn't discount eBay for some of the more common stuff, but that's up to you. Sounds like a great collection and you'll do very well for you and your son. PM me if you have any further questions, happy to help.

Dealers spend hundreds of thousands of dollars per year with all of the auction houses listed in this thread. You get 100% of what books may hammer at instead of 90% and you get immediate payment with no risk of the vagaries of auction. Try us, Bob Storms, Dale Roberts, Richard Evans, Harley Yee, etc.

Edited by gregreece