• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists that are really garbage ...(or artists you don't like)
2 2

133 posts in this topic

Maybe some people like highly-shadowed, Expressionist artwork and others don't like its gloominess.  Always liked Mignola, from his lighter, Phantom Stranger / Cosmic Odyssey period onwards. Then again, I admire comics' chiaroscuro masters, including Alex Toth, another polarising artist, but not Stan Lee, especially during his minimalist, black cockroach phase.

4 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Maybe some people like highly-shadowed, Expressionist artwork and others don't like its gloominess.  Always liked Mignola, from his lighter, Phantom Stranger / Cosmic Odyssey period onwards. Then again, I admire comics' chiaroscuro masters, including Alex Toth, another polarising artist, but not Stan Lee, especially during his minimalist, black cockroach phase.

Have you seen Stan Lee's "slender man" spider-man? Looks like a pant-legged bobble head, but still better than a cockroach ha :) 

On 3 February 2018 at 1:16 PM, RedRaven said:

Keith Giffen, when this one arrived in the mail in the mid 80s, it left me traumatized.

702541.jpg

I enjoyed Giffen's runs on Legion; the initial run featuring The Great Darkness Saga and the second, late 80s run while he was emulating the art style of Kevin Maguire, along with some consistently-enjoyable stories. In between that, I didn't generally like his work, which you've given an example of there, especially during the period when comics were printed using that horrendous, garish, Flexographic technique.  The only exception is Ambush Bug, featuring an insane lead character, and the style fit well with the chaotic nature of his material.  That said, Giffen did push it a bit too far for my tastes in the 90s with awful, self-indulgent comics such as Trencher.

Edited by Ken Aldred

10 hours ago, oakman29 said:

You guys are definitely correct with John Romita Jr.

I love his early work, but he has gotten lazy with his newer stuff.

This is what I was thinking as well. Of course inkers can make a difference bad or good, but there may well be no greater drop-off than this guy without Bob Layton.

Joe Benitez - there's just something about his art that's 'wrong' to me. Especially his Titans issues. Dear gods they were hideous. 

John Romita Jr - terrible artist now. I don't know what's happened, but I'd rather look at Liefeld than modern JRJR (yay hyperbole?). 

Brett Blevins - really disliked his run on New Mutants. Far from the worst, but he'd make my list. 

Minor offender status - Tom Lyle. Everything's very competently drawn, but it's stiff and has no flow. Not appealing. 

On 1/23/2017 at 12:44 PM, the blob said:

a lot of artists trace or use projectors, not just freehand. nowadays i guess computers can help. many painters who do amazingly realistic paintings are doing it by projecting images on the canvas and basically painting over them. this guy, who my father knew wayyyy back when (both were born in washington heights, ny in the 20s, but i don't think that's why they knew each other), made a nice living do that. He did a lot of Doc Savage and pulp type stuff before focusing on being a western artist. he's in his 90s now and still cranking away:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bama

James Bama used model Steve Holland for his Doc Savage Bantam paperback covers painting.  He's been legally blind for years and hasn't 'cranked' anything out, to my knowledge.

10 hours ago, comics4all said:

Can't stand Ramos

I recently had another quick look at some of his 90s work, Impulse and Crimson, and found that I don't really like it anymore.

His recent art has extreme distortions in the figures, but it's still there, even early on, and a bit annoying.

Edited by Ken Aldred

One of the more modern runs of covers that I really disliked was Wonder Woman's run with Cliff Chiang. Such a shame as it had an outstanding story, one of the best of the New 52 IMO, but the art was just just totally BLAH artwork IMO. Its reminds me of paint by number. There is almost no fine detail in the work at all. There were a couple of decent covers, but most of them were just mediocre at best for me. Makes me appreciate the new run by Jenny Frison just that much more. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

I know this is going to sound like blasphemy,  but Frank Miller's more recent stuff is pathetic.  Give me the days of his greatness , Sin City, Daredevil. That All Star Batman was garbage.

I like his earlier 70s / 80s, Kane-influenced work, but not his newer, scratchier, more distorted style.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

I know this is going to sound like blasphemy,  but Frank Miller's more recent stuff is pathetic.  Give me the days of his greatness , Sin City, Daredevil. That All Star Batman was garbage.

Agreed. Anything he has done from DK 2 on looks terrible.

He was a great artist in the 70s & 80s

Edited by comics4all

1 hour ago, OrangeCrush said:

One of the more modern runs of covers that I really disliked was Wonder Woman's run with Cliff Chiang. Such a shame as it had an outstanding story, one of the best of the New 52 IMO, but the art was just just totally BLAH artwork IMO. Its reminds me of paint by number. There is almost no fine detail in the work at all. There were a couple of decent covers, but most of them were just mediocre at best for me. Makes me appreciate the new run by Jenny Frison just that much more. 

Chiang missed the memo that Diana's face was supposed to be beautiful!