• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker's Best Covers (Top 10)
6 6

338 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

If I had to pick only 10, and rank them, here's what happens: 

Phantom Lady #17  (because it's the first Baker I ever went ape for) 

Cinderella Love #25  (I believe it's his single best artistic effort) 

Seven Seas #6  (I'm putting this above all Baker's romance covers that I adore so much, because it's that good) 

Teen-Age Romances #42  (it makes me feel an autumn evening in my bones) 

Cinderella Love #27  (no words... they should've sent a poet) 

Going Steady #10  (again, for the atmosphere) 

Diary Secrets #26  (it has horses) 

Going Steady #12 

Diary Secrets #27,

Wartime Romances #17  (it really is a masterpiece of composition and execution).  

(shrug)

Interesting choices.  I need to cogitate a bit and finally put mine together. hm

12 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Someone mentioned here a bit back ago, but they mentioned the Bakers without word bubbles. I kinda gravitate that way :cloud9:

Those make up most of my favorite Baker covers.  Here are a couple that have yet to be posted in this thread...

gs12_zpsf95d91e8.jpg 

ds27_zpsuxq2eorn.jpg

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:

Those make up most of my favorite Baker covers.  Here are a couple that have yet to be posted in this thread...

gs12_zpsf95d91e8.jpg 

ds27_zpsuxq2eorn.jpg

That GS 12 is gorgeous. One issue I have not been able to upgrade. Matter of fact, I haven't ever seen ANY copies available for sale since acquiring my Good copy.

9 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

That GS 12 is gorgeous. One issue I have not been able to upgrade. Matter of fact, I haven't ever seen ANY copies available for sale since acquiring my Good copy.

You may remember that large assortment of Bakers that came up for auction on eBay around Christmas in 2003... the seller was NeatStuffCollectibles.  The Going Steady 12 came from that collection.  I've bought and sold a few other copies since then, but I've not seen a nicer one.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:58 PM, Junkdrawer said:

Someone mentioned here a bit back ago, but they mentioned the Bakers without word bubbles. I kinda gravitate that way :cloud9:

While word bubbles are generally an unwanted distraction on covers, the exception is romance comics.  On many of them, especially those with Baker covers, the dialogue is what makes the covers such classics.

52 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

While word bubbles are generally an unwanted distraction on covers, the exception is romance comics.  On many of them, especially those with Baker covers, the dialogue is what makes the covers such classics.

+1

On 3/2/2017 at 11:19 AM, Dale Roberts said:

939068502_o.jpg

+1

Absolutely wonderful green cover with the beautiful multi-colors coming off the waters.  :cloud9:

Clearly remember going after this one, but was never able to find a nice enough copy at a reasonable for my collection.  :frown:

If I remember correctly, this was how I ended up with a nice copy of Seven Seas 4 as I had to settle for it as a consolation since the dealer did not have a copy of issue 6, which was what I was really after.  I guess it worked out for me in the end after all.  :whee:

6 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

True that

16 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Here's a prime example that I just got from Rick..... what a pickle this gal is in. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

CVZBoMy.jpg

Those are all beautiful books... but that Pictorial Romances #18 just knocks my socks off.  Why on earth hasn't that one been slabbed yet?? 

I also have a nice (looking) PR #18, but I'll probably never get it graded because it has some unusual silverfish damage to the spine and bc.  You'd never know that from just looking at the front cover, though...

PictorialRomances18Ja_zpsc717289c.jpg

On 2/22/2017 at 5:43 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

This is my favorite Baker romance cover

I would love to upgrade :baiting:

image.jpg

I don't know much about romance covers and don't really have a favorite (except for maybe GCE 12), but I like the way colors were used in this one. I'd never seen one of these prior to reading this thread.

4 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't know much about romance covers and don't really have a favorite (except for maybe GCE 12), but I like the way colors were used in this one. I'd never seen one of these prior to reading this thread.

It is a great cover and fairly scarce.