• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, jcb193 said:
1 hour ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Has anyone ever taken their blood pressure during "extended bidding"?

I know once or twice I've sat there during that 3min of refreshing saying "please god, what was I thinking, Please have someone outbid me :) "

I've definitely also had this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach on several occasions.  :/

20 minutes ago, jcb193 said:

I know once or twice I've sat there during that 3min of refreshing saying "please god, what was I thinking, Please have someone outbid me :) "

lol that's the worst

41 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:
2 hours ago, sagii said:

And don't forget to add LT Tan pages to that too. Good enough for Jon, good enough for me! :bigsmile:

(Seen some slightly brittle books in there too. So take that, @Sqeggs!!)

Besides the bad PQ, even the Conserved and the much dreaded PLOD Restored were still alright for the truly HTF generational books which you might never ever see again.  Especially for the ones with only 3 or less graded copies (and low grade at that) on the census and also not showing up in the HA archives after all these years.  With the full disclosure, all good to go for me.  (thumbsu

Definitely found myself bidding on many of these books, but unfortunately for me, so were many other bidders.  :frown:

52 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:
2 hours ago, sagii said:

And don't forget to add LT Tan pages to that too. Good enough for Jon, good enough for me! :bigsmile:

(Seen some slightly brittle books in there too. So take that, @Sqeggs!!)

Assuming he knew the pq on some of those books was that bad (or that all the resto was there). 

But I have to admit that I've picked up several of his LT pq books.  You guys are dragging down my standards with all your loose talk! :cry:

3 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

shame on you.

You shouldn't care.  Your Mys Men cup overfloweth already. :baiting:

5 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I hope somebody has the resources to keep the Church Mystery Men run together and not let dopes like me pick off any of them. :wishluck:

shame on you.

:sorry:

1 minute ago, Straw-Man said:
6 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

You shouldn't care.  Your Mys Men cup overfloweth already. :baiting:

but i want some water from colorado to overflow down here to the bayou!!!

If that happens, you may need to have the books pressed to get the ripples out. hm

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

I hate ComicConnect's extended bidding. Nothing like a good snipe bid. :cloud9:

I'm ok with it, just don't like the person that waits 2 min and 52 seconds to enter their bid (over and over)...takes a 10 min "extended" bidding and can make it hour +....I'm bored refreshing...I bid right away...I'm courteous to my competition! lol

3 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

This auction is the greatest but i feel dumb because i don't know who Jon Berk is ??

i Wikipedia him but he does not have a his own page.

If you go to the ComicConnect site, they have some info on Berk. 

7 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Love the LB Cole cover:)

What I'm really really enjoying about this auction (besides all the fun posts and the great books), is that I'm hoping that Jon will have made minor (disclosed) restoration more acceptable to a few more people.

I'm so thrilled to see a collection like this, because for years, I was happy to get a book with slight restoration (or even more than slight if it was going to put me in the poor house otherwise), because it allowed me to at least own a copy I loved, that looked nice and sometimes with all the PLOD rhetoric, I was kind of shy about showing mine to anyone..

I'm not a trimming fan and I'm not a fan of taking a destroyed book and making it a 9.8, but Jon's collection is the greatest example I've seen of beautiful books that had highs and lows, the BEST possible grades and some hard to find copies that had a "little help from their friends".

I'm talking about rare GA of course, not Silver and up where the books are so much more common. 

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, GAtor and I have spoken about it before, and there are many others who agree, but I find that sometimes newer collectors have been terrible turned off by just the "word", when in fact, it might help them own a lovely book.

Not for everyone, of course, nothing ever is:)

Thank you Jon, again...great collection, I just love it. I feel like I'm in a museum.(worship)

:applause:Totally agree that it is a shame that some folks are so against restoring the books or at least preserving them.  I wish that there could be some way to improve the paper quality and make it less brittle so the book doesn't just crumble and have that count as conservation rather than restoration as I don't think it has to actually whiten the pages.  Lets make the comics last as long as we can.  The are certainly not making any more of these books.  Anyway just my unasked for 2c.