• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

This Forum just turns into a bigger mess by the day. Bumping a sales thread a dozen times when the books aren’t moving? No problem! Running a sales thread with the same groups of books over and over for 6 months? No problem! Certain books aren’t selling? Pull ‘em out and start a new thread. Maybe somebody will want them if they’re listed separately this time. Let’s not forget to start multiple threads either! Gotta make sure we take up as much front page real estate as possible. Guidelines? What guidelines?

Well, I'll name names. And the first name would be mine.

I'm pretty certain that Richard is talking about me. And he has a good point. Even if he's not talking about me, I'm guilty of what he's saying. So, for my part, I apologize to those of you who feel like Richard does. It's easy to get caught up in trying to move stuff and to forget that after a round or two, others might be sick of seeing the same old stuff. I also apologize for having two threads on the front page at the moment, as I didn't mean to do that.

I think what skynwalker said, happens to the best of us, and I applaud him for the apology...I know I've had OLD threads bumped by someone else and I was embarrassed to see two threads on the front page. I don't deliberately do that, but it happens. What was bugging me, was that Comic Supply listed some Marvel Masterworks, with a LINK to his Website, and then in a separate thread, he posted Overstreets, with a link to his website, both times, the books were being sold for the same price ON the website...I know, because I looked, figuring maybe this was a board special. He must have been asked to move the Overstreet thread, because he did that, but then posted a 3rd thread, advising people that the thread was moved to the Dealer thread. SAME thing happened last year...and to me, stuff like that is deliberate, and just a total disregard for people who at least TRY to play fair.

I really do not need to have another spat with him, but I figured, I'd just spit it out...

I have a question along these lines. I need to raise funds for a grail and will be posting a fair number of books. Would it be considered bad form to have a GA selling thread and a seperate SA selling thread? Would a combined thread more along the lines of a VCC booth be more in order? The guidelines don't state one thread per person and I've seen it done both ways. While both are fine to me, within reason, I'd hate to offend anyone before they even had a chance to view my books and decide they suck on their own merit.

I have a question along these lines. I need to raise funds for a grail and will be posting a fair number of books. Would it be considered bad form to have a GA selling thread and a seperate SA selling thread? Would a combined thread more along the lines of a VCC booth be more in order? The guidelines don't state one thread per person and I've seen it done both ways. While both are fine to me, within reason, I'd hate to offend anyone before they even had a chance to view my books and decide they suck on their own merit.

I'm no expert, but I know it's hard enough to monitor one thread at a time...and there are lots of people who collect both (and will be looking to combine shipping) so, I try to stick to one. Once a week has passed, it's another story, because you can't edit after a few days anyway. It is also easier for people buying to watch one thread at a time. Does that help at all ?

I didn’t see it necessary to name names, since any list (like the one Dr. Banner put together) is mostly just the list of the moment. Tomorrow or the next day is likely to be the same situation but with different people. And it doesn’t take cut-and-dry guideline-breaking to make a mess, there’s threads that manage to stay within the guidelines but remain questionable as well as willy-nilly posting that lessens the quality of life, so to speak, in the Selling Forum. It’s become such a hodgepodge that I skip the majority of threads, whereas I used to check almost all of them out.

And I have no problem with re-listing a book, sometimes it may take more than once to find a buyer (esp. if it’s a certain Hulk 172 :grin: ), but if a book isn’t selling repeatedly it’s either priced too high or has no market in this market.

Dr. Banner – you forgot Nicka.

None of the best board sellers (who also manage to move the majority of their books), seem to need multiple threads. I'd just recommend Appropriate Thread Titling. (thumbs u

I'm no expert, but I know it's hard enough to monitor one thread at a time...and there are lots of people who collect both (and will be looking to combine shipping) so, I try to stick to one. Once a week has passed, it's another story, because you can't edit after a few days anyway. It is also easier for people buying to watch one thread at a time. Does that help at all ?

Yeah, I guess one will be better. I thought two might be easier to keep clean. I don't know how people like FT keep their massively long threads in line. It would drive me nuts.

This Forum just turns into a bigger mess by the day. Bumping a sales thread a dozen times when the books aren’t moving? No problem! Running a sales thread with the same groups of books over and over for 6 months? No problem! Certain books aren’t selling? Pull ‘em out and start a new thread. Maybe somebody will want them if they’re listed separately this time. Let’s not forget to start multiple threads either! Gotta make sure we take up as much front page real estate as possible. Guidelines? What guidelines?

I'm pretty certain that Richard is talking about me. And he has a good point. Even if he's not talking about me, I'm guilty of what he's saying. So, for my part, I apologize to those of you who feel like Richard does. It's easy to get caught up in trying to move stuff and to forget that after a round or two, others might be sick of seeing the same old stuff. I also apologize for having two threads on the front page at the moment, as I didn't mean to do that.

I think what skynwalker said, happens to the best of us, and I applaud him for the apology...I know I've had OLD threads bumped by someone else and I was embarrassed to see two threads on the front page. I don't deliberately do that, but it happens. What was bugging me, was that Comic Supply listed some Marvel Masterworks, with a LINK to his Website, and then in a separate thread, he posted Overstreets, with a link to his website, both times, the books were being sold for the same price ON the website...I know, because I looked, figuring maybe this was a board special. He must have been asked to move the Overstreet thread, because he did that, but then posted a 3rd thread, advising people that the thread was moved to the Dealer thread. SAME thing happened last year...and to me, stuff like that is deliberate, and just a total disregard for people who at least TRY to play fair.

I really do not need to have another spat with him, but I figured, I'd just spit it out...

Damn straight! Of course it's deliberate, and a perfect example of "sort of" adhering to the Guidelines. I'd pay full retail before I'd deal with people like that.

The best thing to do would be to just make it an SA selling thread, and we can take care of your GA offerings via PM. ;)

The best thing to do would be to just make it an SA selling thread, and we can take care of your GA offerings via PM. ;)

:makepoint:hm:popcorn:

Wow, thanks Jon for your quick payment! Now I won't have to bother people with these pre-code and GGA books. (thumbs u

Personally, I feel that separating the two is a good idea. One compromise would be to start one thread and list the GA first, then the SA - or vice versa.

Wow, thanks Jon for your quick payment! Now I won't have to bother people with these pre-code and GGA books. (thumbs u

:o

Oh, come on. For Church books at $100 a pop you would've done the same thing.

Great! Now we can get back to Bronze and Copper reader copies! (thumbs u

Jon, you should have read the fine print...they were Church hymn books... :hi:

:whatthe::censored:

I hope the Good Lord will forgive me this Paypal chargeback. :wishluck:

:whatthe::censored:

I hope the Good Lord will forgive me this Paypal chargeback. :wishluck:

:signfunny:

• Administrator

Are you guys using the notify moderator button in these situations and writing a GOOD EXPLANATION of the issue - i.e. enough background information that a moderator can comfortably take action without spending an hour trying to duplicate your knowledge of the pattern?

Are you guys using the notify moderator button in these situations and writing a GOOD EXPLANATION of the issue - i.e. enough background information that a moderator can comfortably take action without spending an hour trying to duplicate your knowledge of the pattern?

Clearly, a rhetorical question . . . :grin: