• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Roy,

I've been offered some really stupid prices for stuff. Like 10 bucks shipped to Canada.. WTF :shrug: You know the item is 10 bucks and shipping is like 6-10 bucks to canada from the states... dont fuggen waste my time. I can understand making offers on expensive items, I have NO problem with it but sometimes the offers are just so ridiculous that its not even funny.

Greggy making offers doesnt count :P

Thankfully, I havent been lowballed in awhile, but it does get annoying when it does happen. Some people expect mess for free doh!

I don't get it.Why do people get annoyed? They can ask the question and you can decline. I was offered a ridiculous price for the FF #1 is sold for my friend. Why would I get upset? I just said no and the bidder came back with two higher bids. He didn't buy the book but still...

Heck, greggy offered me $1 on an $800 Ebay book.

Why take it personally. Every once in a while someone will say yes and that is what they are taking their chances on..

R.

I agree and I don't mind offers. As you say, I can always say No.

The initial point was the '5.00 shipped' or '10.00 shipped' offers where the buyer is asking the seller to basically give the book away. Those, while amusing. are a bit tacky.

Thankfully, I havent been lowballed in awhile, but it does get annoying when it does happen. Some people expect mess for free doh!

I don't get it.Why do people get annoyed? They can ask the question and you can decline. I was offered a ridiculous price for the FF #1 is sold for my friend. Why would I get upset? I just said no and the bidder came back with two higher bids. He didn't buy the book but still...

Heck, greggy offered me $1 on an $800 Ebay book.

Why take it personally. Every once in a while someone will say yes and that is what they are taking their chances on..

R.

I agree and I don't mind offers. As you say, I can always say No.

The initial point was the '5.00 shipped' or '10.00 shipped' offers where the buyer is asking the seller to basically give the book away. Those, while amusing. are a bit tacky.

Do the intials cch mean anything? :whistle:

in my last sale someone offered to buy books off me for 80% off, I won't say who.
Was it me? :acclaim:

no you are the one that did the charge back on the paypal payment... $1000 gone...

I don't mind lowball offers, but as was mentioned previously, once the :takeit: comes out it does drive off other buyers.

Or course you don't...you don't sell anything. Set up a selling thread & get a real look at the marketplace. (thumbs u

Or course you don't...you don't sell anything. Set up a selling thread & get a real look at the marketplace.

Nah, I'd rather burn all my books, and just might do that this summer. hm

I don't mind lowball offers, but as was mentioned previously, once the :takeit: comes out it does drive off other buyers.

Or course you don't...you don't sell anything. Set up a selling thread & get a real look at the marketplace. (thumbs u

lol

Exactly...walk a mile in my shoes before advising me which shoes to wear, how I should tie them, when I should rest, and what I should eat for breakfast before I venture out in the morning. :sumo:

I will always accept a conditional pm as long as the buyer is serious. That makes it fair for everyone. Some guys want to keep it anonymous, some guys need time payments authorized, some guys have more questions. I hate losing a book just because the seller was off line and could not answer a question for me.

Couldn't agree more Roy! (thumbs u

Both buyers and sellers have rights, and frankly, I consider the policy of "A :takeit: in the thread trumps any PM's" to be a strong-armed tactic by sellers to force the hand of buyers. As with your examples above, if I'm interested in a book but want to know the PQ, want a back cover scan, want to know if I can take 2 weeks to pay, etc.,. I would really appreciate the decency of a seller responding to my inquiry before selling the book. Otherwise, a buyer feels pressured into pulling the trigger without knowing the details of what is being offered, essentially giving away their rights.

Personally, I give right-of-1st-refusal to anyone that PM's me with interest about a book, and if someone posts the :takeit: in the thread I PM them and let them know the book is "pending".

Finally, having been on both sides of this situation many, many times over the last 5+ years of buying and selling hundreds of books on the boards, I speak with experience on this issue and not as a busy-body trying to butt into everyone else's business. :sumo:

I hate it when someone gives a lowball offer of $20 shipped on an $80+ book, stating how they don't have a lot of money, but then the next week start a thread bragging about a mega-key they obtained (still for four figures)

...not saying any names :gossip::whistle:

Edited by djpinkpanther67

Or course you don't...you don't sell anything. Set up a selling thread & get a real look at the marketplace.

I want to see you burning a box of warehouse condition GSX #1's

:wishluck:

I want to see you burning a box of warehouse condition GSX #1's

So now it's a BOX? :screwy:

This place is hilarious - now that Sho'nuff is banned, I guess everyone needs an enemy.