• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Looking for opinions. Being as I am one of the parties involved I will try not to be biased but likely won't be able to.

I purchased a large lot of comics from a boardie. Paid for the comics and decided I would pay for postage later since he was unfamiliar with how much it would cost.

" I'll ship it and tell you exact postage once the books are in the mail. I'm probably going to send the raw books in one package and the slabs in another package b/c I think it will be more safe and less expensive unless you want me to do it otherwise. "

I waited for the comics and received 3 packages. One VERY LARGE box, a medium priority and a poster tube. Total postage was $90+. The deal was about 35 raw comics, 2 CGC's and a poster. Without discussing any other factors I am of the opinion that I should pay the reasonable shipping charge and the remainder the seller should count as a learning experience.

Thoughts?

First time I shipped to Canada, I used the USPS online calculator and quoted them a price according to first class rate. I exceeded the 4lbs weight limit and had to ship it Priority. I ate the $25 because it was totally my fault due to inexperience.

However, with that said, you have enough experience to know that shipping from the US to Canada can get expensive fast if you aren't familiar with the specifics. My question would be why would you agree to allow someone admittedly inexperienced in shipping to Canada to simply ship your items without discussing the specifics of shipping method, package weights, etc?

While I agree that the seller should have done his homework, I'd have to say that you can't put this entirely on the seller because you agreed to pay the postage later without stipulations on cost limits and such.

Edited by Benjamin Grimm

Looking for opinions. Being as I am one of the parties involved I will try not to be biased but likely won't be able to.

I purchased a large lot of comics from a boardie. Paid for the comics and decided I would pay for postage later since he was unfamiliar with how much it would cost.

" I'll ship it and tell you exact postage once the books are in the mail. I'm probably going to send the raw books in one package and the slabs in another package b/c I think it will be more safe and less expensive unless you want me to do it otherwise. "

I waited for the comics and received 3 packages. One VERY LARGE box, a medium priority and a poster tube. Total postage was $90+. The deal was about 35 raw comics, 2 CGC's and a poster. Without discussing any other factors I am of the opinion that I should pay the reasonable shipping charge and the remainder the seller should count as a learning experience.

Thoughts?

Maybe you've tried too hard to appear unbiased because the quoted portion shows that the guy gave you a heads up on his plans and an opportunity to give your instructions before he shipped.....if you didn't respond with your preferences or share your knowledge to help him (since he's clearly unfamiliar with shipping to Canada) then I'd say you should honour your commitment to pay full postage.

The opportunity to provide him with a "learning experience" was before he shipped.

2c

I want to give a quick shout out to the boardies here that I deal with, be it on a regular basis, or a one-time deal or those who just pop in and say hello or something similar!

I've been here a LONG time.....and I am constantly amazed at the people around here. I only wish the people I meet in the real world, day after day, had the integrity and sense of community as the folks I deal with on this silly comic book chat board.

I have an amazing life and an amazing family. But this place figures in the equation somewhere and my days would mean less without most of you.

Which shocks me! Thanks to you all!

Thoughts?

Maybe you've tried too hard to appear unbiased because the quoted portion shows that the guy gave you a heads up on his plans and an opportunity to give your instructions before he shipped.....if you didn't respond with your preferences or share your knowledge to help him (since he's clearly unfamiliar with shipping to Canada) then I'd say you should honour your commitment to pay full postage.

The opportunity to provide him with a "learning experience" was before he shipped.

2c

I quoted this part as it does show the entire picture for me. The reason I let it go is part of the quote being he believed his method was less expensive. The issue I have with covering the entire amount (other than the cost) is that there is no responsibility placed on the seller to research the shipping methods.

I agree that I could have held his hand but I do not agree that it is a "shipping to Canada" issue. The packing methods used would have substantially increased the cost within the US as well. The size of the large box is easily 2-3 times the size required for the entire shipment which was sent in 3 packages.

So in the future should I set a maximum? I realize I am more experienced but by comparison I can ship an entire full short box for $65 anywhere in the US. The postage on this should have been <$45.

Thoughts?

2c

I quoted this part as it does show the entire picture for me. The reason I let it go is part of the quote being he believed his method was less expensive. The issue I have with covering the entire amount (other than the cost) is that there is no responsibility placed on the seller to research the shipping methods.

I agree that I could have held his hand but I do not agree that it is a "shipping to Canada" issue. The packing methods used would have substantially increased the cost within the US as well. The size of the large box is easily 2-3 times the size required for the entire shipment which was sent in 3 packages.

So in the future should I set a maximum? I realize I am more experienced but by comparison I can ship an entire full short box for $65 anywhere in the US. The postage on this should have been <$45.

I do not know the details of the items in question or the weights, or values. But I can say safely that the total cost will vary greatly depending on whether any insurance is used, and if things are packed with the intention of safe guarding them from shipping damage.

For example, shipping any comic box full of comics is bad packing, if you just slap tape on it with a shipping label. That is a zero protection parcel, there is no protection from any impacts at any angle.

If parcels were only lifted by hand and gently set down, then no damage would occur. In the USPS, all parcels are thrown or tossed, if they physically can be, into large hampers, during many steps of sorting. Parcels are tossed onto other parcels, or the hard bottom of the hamper, or a steel cage(5'x5'x3' deep). You have no idea or control of what random parcels will be tossed onto your parcel.

Keeping these facts in mind, please pack all parcels as if you knew it was going to be tossed, and that other heavy parcels will land on top of yours. That means there must be some kind of packing material around items, all the way around, and it has to be thick material, something which will absorb some force of impacts. Bubble wrap and peanuts do that, paper does not absorb impacts. Paper crushes to a zero thickness, instantly, and that allows any force to go straight through the paper(crushed), into the item inside.

So, when you ship things, or pay someone else to ship items to you, discuss the insurance, and the method of packing the items. The postage costs are minor issues compared to the importance of the packing labor and methods. New members hardly know any of this, so help them to help everyone by learning what's best.

Good advice. When I mentioned shipping a short box I should have clarified. It was an example more for weight and size for the discussion of shipping charges. When I ship a short box it is in a CGC box (15 count box) surrounded by peanuts and I can ship it for $65 anywhere in the US. I believe the weighting this case is about 40 lbs.

This shipment could have used the same box and would have weighed about 10 lbs.

Good advice. When I mentioned shipping a short box I should have clarified. It was an example more for weight and size for the discussion of shipping charges. When I ship a short box it is in a CGC box (15 count box) surrounded by peanuts and I can ship it for $65 anywhere in the US. I believe the weighting this case is about 40 lbs.

This shipment could have used the same box and would have weighed about 10 lbs.

I'm sure that your seller made some mistakes in that shipping, I'd hope that at least he will learn from the experience, no matter who pays the bill or portion of it this time.

I've shipped 85lb truck transfer cases that took a bunch of time just to fill the "box", and the cost was around $50 by DHL back then when they were here. Finding the ideal main outer box is the biggest step. With the right box, you can improvise the inside packing.

I like to use two boxes, one which is very tightly matched to the items, and a larger one that has enough surrounding space to fill it with packing materials. I keep saving the really thick CGC boxes, planning to use them some day for heavy groups of comics. I'll do my raw books eventually.

He sold it to me via PM. I may have posted in a thread but I don't believe so. We agreed on $45 which is my estimate of what it should have cost. Thanks for the thoughts though. :)

I want to give a quick shout out to the boardies here that I deal with, be it on a regular basis, or a one-time deal or those who just pop in and say hello or something similar!

I've been here a LONG time.....and I am constantly amazed at the people around here. I only wish the people I meet in the real world, day after day, had the integrity and sense of community as the folks I deal with on this silly comic book chat board.

I have an amazing life and an amazing family. But this place figures in the equation somewhere and my days would mean less without most of you.

Right back at you :)

Thoughts?

2c

Yeah. This is why some people won't ship outside the USA because rates are so high and they fear negative blowback form the buyer. It's not the seller's fault if he charged you exact shipping and that's what it was.

Let's not be silly now. If he decided (without looking at other methods and implying he would look at alternatives) to ship it overnight express at a cost of $300 then of course he is partly if not completely at fault.

Are you saying the seller has no obligation to the buyer to atleast research the shipping method? It is not a cross border discussion.

Thoughts?

This bothers me too much not to say something. You are a seller. Would you just ship out something and bill out the buyer later? This makes no sense to me especially since you acknowledged that the seller was unsure of the shipping cost.

I have gone to the post office to weigh packages in order to finalize shipping cost many times. However since you agreed to pay shipping later then I feel you should be responsible for the entire shipping cost. I feel that it is your lesson for not getting a finalized invoice before the packages were shipped.

This has nothing to do with handle holding, you agreed to pay later without stating any preference. If the seller provided a cost upfront then you would have been able to provide input about your preferred shipping methods.

:hi: + 1 but you stated it better.

Edited by nocutename

Thoughts?

This bothers me too much not to say something. You are a seller. Would you just ship out something and bill out the buyer later? This makes no sense to me especially since you acknowledged that the seller was unsure of the shipping cost.

I have gone to the post office to weigh packages in order to finalize shipping cost many times. However since you agreed to pay shipping later then I feel you should be responsible for the entire shipping cost. I feel that it is your lesson for not getting a finalized invoice before the packages were shipped.

This has nothing to do with handle holding, you agreed to pay later without stating any preference. If the seller provided a cost upfront then you would have been able to provide input about your preferred shipping methods.

So in short I left myself completely at the mercy of the seller and should take my lumps?

As a seller I would finalize the deal. The payment was made without finalizing the shipping because the seller was desperate for cash. I guess I should have added that the transaction was done in good faith in order to help the seller out of a jam. I expected the seller would take the time to treat my money with the same respect he treats his. As a seller I certainly would have but it seems I expected too much.

And after the one comment about a sales thread I went back. The sales thread initiated the sale and within the thread was free shipping to US and Canada. lol

I certainly think there is some dual fault here. When I first read your comments last week I was ready to side with the seller completely but the fact that the shipping is twice the price of the books is bothersome The seller probably thought they were taking care to get the books to you in the best condition possible but when they brought them to the counter and found out the price they should have rethought the entire situation and contacted the buyer. At some point common sense should take over.

Perhaps you should contact the seller with these concerns if you haven't already. I'm sure a common ground can be reached. While it's not up to you to teach the seller a lesson I'm sure a lesson can be learned by both parties. Let us know how it turns out.

just my dos centavos.

We decided on $45 so the transaction is closed.

I agree with your comments and specifically that there is dual fault and at some point common sense should take over.

I realize initially the 1st impression may have been just another case of a buyer complaining about shipping cost. Another comment was to blame it on international shipping.

I live in Canada. I pay a multitude of outrageous shipping charges and for the most part I agree. I do need to see some benefit for the seller and/or the buyer though. Paying extra shipping just for the sake of paying extra shipping is silly. Some sellers require tracking, others insurance and for most it completely depends on the sale price. I fall into the latter but certainly don't expect it from sellers.

I do expect a seller to do their due diligence which usually is doing their best to ensure the items arrive in the condition described. In this case since I did leave shipping cost on the table I fully expect a certain amount of care to be taken with postage.

Shoe on the other foot I would expect any buyer to hold me to those standards.