• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Okay guys I am starting to going through my collection and decide what to get rid of. I want to thin out about 3-4 thousand books copper to present. Looking to sell either here on the boards in sets or on Craigslist leaving any keys from these books in place to encourage a sale. I'm talking things like X-factor 1st series 1-117ish, Excalibur 1-100ish, Punisher first series run, Planet Hulk stuff, New Avengers, Namor full run, Quasar Full run, Newer mini series such as Civil War etc. Uncanny X-men ranging from 266- 310ish, Avengers from the 200ish up to 400ish, Moon Knight stuff, Plus DCs like 52 , the Hush run, Plus tons more No Independents. Most would be $1-$10 books with a few more expensive keys like the X-men 266 mentioned above.

Is there interest on the boards for this stuff or is my best bet selling bulk on Craigslist?

Asking this here as not to spam general.

What Moon Knight stuff?

In case you missed it, the boards now have a one year expiration on editing posts, as opposed to the old 2 week period. Really helpful for the FOR SALE folk.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5806773&an=4&gonew=1#UNREAD

Excellent!

I want to thank the mods and whoever suggested this to them.

This really makes life a lot easier for sellers who want to add to their existing threads instead of starting over every couple weeks.

With respect to payment, I've heard it suggested that putting those terms in your initial post is pretty much become a requirement. Barring that, there's really not a lot you can do, as the rules don't delineate a specific amount of time to be paid.

All that being said, if you were to go a week without any communication of any sort, a thread in General asking if anyone had any contact info about the noob might be a good way to smoke them out.

But yeah, I think going forward, I'm going to stipulate payment terms up front

Okay, so this seems to be the common question these days:

How long do I have to wait for payment?

Last weekend, I had my first real sales thread, moving a bunch of Anthony Castrillo sketch covers to pay for some refunds on outstanding commissions we're digging out from under. Everyone paid up right quick, within three days, except for one person. He snagged one of the comics via PM 8 days ago (on the 24th), and I haven't heard form him since. I've sent him three PMs, with invoices and whatnot, and a notice this morning that I'd try to resell it if I don't hear from him by tomorrow. All of my PMs are unread, although he may well be getting them as emails. The guy's been registered since '08, but only has 7 posts, and none since September '09.

If this were just money for me, I'd be happy to give him another week. But I'm trying to wrap up these refunds, and having this one comic linger in limbo is most inconvenient. Is it uncool for me to consider it available as of tomorrow? :shrug:

I'm having another sales thread shortly, with a few more AC covers, and I'll be sure to stipulate quick payment.

Last weekend, I had my first real sales thread, moving a bunch of Anthony Castrillo sketch covers to pay for some refunds on outstanding commissions we're digging out from under. Everyone paid up right quick, within three days, except for one person. He snagged one of the comics via PM 8 days ago (on the 24th), and I haven't heard form him since. I've sent him three PMs, with invoices and whatnot, and a notice this morning that I'd try to resell it if I don't hear from him by tomorrow. All of my PMs are unread, although he may well be getting them as emails. The guy's been registered since '08, but only has 7 posts, and none since September '09.

If this were just money for me, I'd be happy to give him another week. But I'm trying to wrap up these refunds, and having this one comic linger in limbo is most inconvenient. Is it uncool for me to consider it available as of tomorrow? :shrug:

I'm having another sales thread shortly, with a few more AC covers, and I'll be sure to stipulate quick payment.

It's been a while since I've scoured the rules, but I always thought it was thirty days.

People go out of town, plus this is a holiday week. A lot of people have the entire week off (or even two weeks in my company) .

It's been a while since I've scoured the rules, but I always thought it was thirty days.

People go out of town, plus this is a holiday week. A lot of people have the entire week off (or even two weeks in my company) .

Yeah, but it's whole vague "30 days to complete the transaction" thing. It doesn't actually say 30 days to pay. No?

Yeah, but it's whole vague "30 days to complete the transaction" thing. It doesn't actually say 30 days to pay. No?

I don't know. (shrug)

That's how I've always understood it, though (30 days for the buyer to pay).

IMO, a week is just not enough time (unless you specifically make it clear up front that you need payment immediately, or whatever).

Maybe going forward, just make it part of your auction terms -- "because funds are going for AC's buyer refunds, I need immediate payment on these items -- after 7 days of non-payment, I reserve the right to release items back up for sale", etc. That should hopefully get peoples' attention.

Maybe going forward, just make it part of your auction terms -- "because funds are going for AC's buyer refunds, I need immediate payment on these items -- after 7 days of non-payment, I reserve the right to release items back up for sale", etc. That should hopefully get peoples' attention.

How about "Payment required within a week, unless other arrangements are agreed upon."

In my new thread I said "Payment is kindly requested via paypal within three days. I want to get these refunds behind me!! If you need extra time to pay, or want to use some other payment method for some reason, please let me know before claiming anything." Sounds reasonable, right? If someone wants a week to pay, I'll probably give it to them, unless it's for a comic that multiple folks are interested in.

In my new thread I said "Payment is kindly requested via paypal within three days. I want to get these refunds behind me!! If you need extra time to pay, or want to use some other payment method for some reason, please let me know before claiming anything." Sounds reasonable, right? If someone wants a week to pay, I'll probably give it to them, unless it's for a comic that multiple folks are interested in.

(thumbs u

I owe an apology to the seller of the Bloodshot 0 Gold books . But the practice applied in his thread was a new one I hadn't seen before.

He was adjusting his sales price in the thread based on Ebay sales, but publishing just the high Ebay sale as part of the price adjustment for potential buyers to reference. That comes across like sellers that quote GPA, but list just the high sales.

Does it violate any board rules?

6.It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for.

Unfortunately, no.

Is it wrong? It seems off somewhat, in referencing an outside sales price from another market, yet not referencing the range of prices from the same market. That seems potentially misleading, though research responsibility is most probably a buyer's burden as a seller can list a book at any price.

$25 $30 each (last one sold on ebay for $35)

And if someone is going to be allowed to change prices as they track the higher sales on Ebay, at one point does someone know what they are committing to pay? Buyers better reference the price they are committing to when posting a TAKE IT! in the thread.

Nobody needs to sell their books at the cheapest price. But if you list a price, stick to the price you listed or note a correction and clarify who is impacted by that correction.

I owe an apology to the seller of the Bloodshot 0 Gold books . But the practice applied in his thread was a new one I hadn't seen before.

He was adjusting his sales price in the thread based on Ebay sales, but publishing just the high Ebay sale as part of the price adjustment for potential buyers to reference. That comes across like sellers that quote GPA, but list just the high sales.

6.It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for.

Unfortunately, no.

Is it wrong? It seems off somewhat, in referencing an outside sales price from another market, yet not referencing the range of prices from the same market. That seems potentially misleading, though research responsibility is most probably a buyer's burden as a seller can list a book at any price.

And if someone is going to be allowed to change prices as they track the higher sales on Ebay, at one point does someone know what they are committing to pay? Buyers better reference the price they are committing to when posting a TAKE IT! in the thread.

Nobody needs to sell their books at the cheapest price. But if you list a price, stick to the price you listed or note a correction and clarify who is impacted by that correction.

If I see a book for sale that I am not sure about for $100, after thinking about it I post :takeit: only to find after the dude has put the price up to $200, have I got to honor the :takeit: or can I tell him to stick it up his arse, without risking probation ? :insane:

That sounds shady to only list highest ever prices, but I agree that the buyer needs to be sure of what they think the value is, before claiming it.

That being said, it should be no problem to figure out what the buy price is when a :takeit:

is posted. There should be time stamps to prove when the prices were changed, and when the post to buy it was.

I hope that isn't a trend , I'd prefer sellers to use the most reliable value based pricing, not the highest sale they can find.

I am the seller. I posted the wrong price, adjusted it. Didn't think people would get upset. The guy who got the 1st book at $25 got a deal. If people can buy them cheaper on Fleabay, be my guest. It's always a crapshoot buying comics on ebay.

In other words. Sorry. I'll try and be more careful.

Unfortunately, no.

If I see a book for sale that I am not sure about for $100, after thinking about it I post :takeit: only to find after the dude has put the price up to $200, have I got to honor the :takeit: or can I tell him to stick it up his arse, without risking probation ? :insane:

If you put up a :takeit: you should quote the picture and the price. The seller can't change your post, so there shouldn't be any problems

It does not help the seller if they "made a mistake"

I don't really get why sellers delete the prices, but since many do, it saves that information for you at a later date, in case you are like me, and forget what things cost you.

[quote=Pinky Lee Zepplin If people can buy them cheaper on Fleabay, be my guest. It's always a crapshoot buying comics on ebay.

IF anyone actually reads this thread, you will see that this marketplace is not so trouble free, smaller, but it's not perfect. I've had plenty of nice transactions on eBay and many of those with people who post here. What is special for sellers, is there are no fees here, unlike eBay.

Unfortunately, no.

If you put up a :takeit: you should quote the picture and the price. The seller can't change your post, so there shouldn't be any problems

It does not help the seller if they "made a mistake"

I don't really get why sellers delete the prices, but since many do, it saves that information for you at a later date, in case you are like me, and forget what things cost you.

Word up on both points.

Always quote the comic you're buying, and spell out that you're expecting 15% off or whatever may have been offered by the seller in another post.

And I too wonder why sellers remove the price? If nothing else, it's fun and helpful to see what comics go for. Even if it's taken via PM, the asking price is quite useful.