• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Good knowledge. I will hit my local USPS tomorrow to get more info. Anyone know if the slabbed comic fits comfortably in the small flat rate box?

Slabs are delicate. Best way to ship them is in a box and that box inside another, bigger box. Lots of peanuts, bubble wrap, or crushed newspaper for protection.

Good knowledge. I will hit my local USPS tomorrow to get more info. Anyone know if the slabbed comic fits comfortably in the small flat rate box?

Slabs are delicate. Best way to ship them is in a box and that box inside another, bigger box. Lots of peanuts, bubble wrap, or crushed newspaper for protection.

But with First Class International there is still no tracking or insurance offered, right? That was my biggest challenge with this method when selling.

Send a PM to branget. He sent me a book in a box that perfectly fit one slab. I turned around and shipped his back (it was a trade) in the same box (USPS) and it was the best price I have ever paid to ship a slab to Canada.

It might be common knowledge in the GWN, but those thin white boxes are awesome, and we don't have anything like them at our PO, that I know of.

I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere, but what is the best most reasonable way to ship a single slab to Canada, less than $100 value? What are the extra forms I need? And what is the total cost? Should I register or get Certificate of Mailing? Thanks, I'd a appreciate any help.

A 2.25 lb USPS First Class Mail International Parcel will run you $10. It should initially be trackable via the CN-22 Customs Declaration number. Add another $12 if you want the enhanced (99.99%) security of Registered Mail (which may not be justified considering the relatively low value of your item). In my opinion, a Certificate of Mailing is worthless. Your USPS receipt will prove essentially the same thing -- that you mailed a parcel to Canada.

Please don't use paper or newspaper, or shredded paper for packing. Any paper has no crush factor to it, no internal volume. All paper will crush to its smallest size or volume with any force. So the "air" between the not fully crushed paper does not resist impacts.

Paper will be like a layer of paper around objects, it adds a thickness to the box you could say. The point of packing material is supposed to be for absorbing impacts, resisting forces that could reach the item. Paper does not do that, it compresses instantly to its thinnest dimensions(crush it in you hand before you think of putting it in the box(that's the amount that the box thickness is increased)). The air which any of that paper is holding space inside, that air moves aside instantly and the force keeps going in, into the fragile article.

Use bubble wrap or peanuts, they resist impacts the best. Try to compress a handful of peanuts that you would use along one end of a box. Then take the amount of paper you would use to fill that same space. Compress that in your hand. Tell us which one when compressed, is thicker?

Respectfully, can we please stop having so many drive by posts during sales threads?

+1 - except in the case of my sales threads. In those I encourage everyone to drive-by post, spam, threadcrap, person_without_enough_empathyandmoan, second guess grading and/or pricing, or whatever the hell else you want to do.

If someone wants the books they will find them.

Respectfully, can we please stop having so many drive by posts during sales threads?

+1 - except in the case of my sales threads. In those I encourage everyone to drive-by post, spam, threadcrap, person_without_enough_empathyandmoan, second guess grading and/or pricing, or whatever the hell else you want to do.

If someone wants the books they will find them.

+1.

Folks,

Things such as:

GLWTS

If i didnt have this book all ready,

If I didnt have to pay this bill,

If I didnt have to go and get crack rock I would be all over it

These type statements, have, to me (and judging by the thread in CG about this although clothed in parody) gotten out of hand.

There are just, in my opinion, too many people making too many comments like this.,

Respectfully,

Arex

I understand what you are saying, but look at it from this point of view, to give some of these "positive" comments is like a "kudos" for what they are selling. It is better, sometimes, than putting your books up for sale and get no response at all. You can't tell if your books aren't worth it or if maybe people just don't have the dough to spend right now.

Just another way of looking at it.

Folks,

Things such as:

GLWTS

These type statements, have, to me (and judging by the thread in CG about this although clothed in parody) gotten out of hand.

There are just, in my opinion, too many people making too many comments like this.,

Respectfully,

Arex

I understand what you are saying, but look at it from this point of view, to give some of these "positive" comments is like a "kudos" for what they are selling. It is better, sometimes, than putting your books up for sale and get no response at all. You can't tell if your books aren't worth it or if maybe people just don't have the dough to spend right now.

... and as an added bonus, those little comments show activity in the thread. Always makes me think there is a party going on there and I need to look.

The more people that look... and then re-look... just improves an item's chance of selling.

But what do I know... I sell pure sheeeet :)

Folks,

Things such as:

GLWTS

Respectfully,

Arex

Seems to me that each seller should consider adding a bit of fine print to their auction text stating comments are welcome or not. Everyone has different preferences so why not state it from the get go?

Folks,

Things such as:

GLWTS

Respectfully,

Arex

... and as an added bonus, those little comments show activity in the thread. Always makes me think there is a party going on there and I need to look.

The more people that look... and then re-look... just improves an item's chance of selling.

But what do I know... I sell pure sheeeet :)

I agree with BoosterGold and Rupp. I feel like I'm wasting time if there are no responses to my sales threads. I'd also add that when people post positive comments in your threads, that it might help encourage a potential buyer who's never dealt with you before. Seeing other's praise in your thread might be what they need to pull the trigger.

It's preference it seems. I don't really enjoy the "wish I could buy that, but..." because it just seems like fluff to me, though I don't think no one's ever posted that in my sale threads before. But I do like the company, as others have stated, the chit chatter, the wishing of luck and most importantly the wise cracks. It does add support, humorous bumping and rapport amongst the community. Having an empty thread could discourage sellers, but life goes on. Either you're too new and just building a reputation, your books really suck monkey balls, etc. Empty threads are good learning tools. 2c

Folks,

Things such as:

GLWTS

Respectfully,

Arex

I am wondering if Arex's point might be more to the empty nature of the comment.

Sometimes these comments are so thoughtlessly delivered that I have to bit my tongue. :sumo:

And don't tell me what a beautiful book it is when it's a photograph aparently taken on the foggiest day in the history of the Scottish moors. :mad:

And sometimes I feel commentators are deliberately duplicitous. Complimenting a book as a great 9.4 when the number of spine stresses would offend a chiropractor ... :pullhair:

:) I feel better now.