• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

General question: In sales threads with a lot of books, do you prefer to see full size scans posted in the thread (which requires a lot more paging to make it through the thread), or do you prefer clickable thumbnail scans, which make the threads more svelte (but requires you to click to see big scans of the books you're interested in)?

General question: In sales threads with a lot of books, do you prefer to see full size scans posted in the thread (which requires a lot more paging to make it through the thread), or do you prefer clickable thumbnail scans, which make the threads more svelte (but requires you to click to see big scans of the books you're interested in)?

I prefer full-sized front and back in the thread. Show me what ya got.

How is this thread not against the forum rules?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6950538#Post6950538

No grades and no scans of the books people are going to receive :shrug:

Every preshow/presale thread is against the rules imo.

Not really - I think this is the first presale thread I've seen where no guarantees are made as to the condition of the books you're receiving.

Yeah that was of concern... there was the whole "people who've used me before know what they are getting" bravado (I dont know if its earned or not), but its ripe for letdown/abuse. Sure menace has a good long track record. but could a newbie run the same sale? Maybe he doesnt get any takers, but maybe he does....

So after having my own SDCC sales thread go poof for a few hours last month over the pre-sale issue, I feel I can weigh in.

I have an issue with the vagueness of the quality in that sales thread and the "I'm not responsible for how the books are shipped back to me". It just screams you get what you get, especially since payment is being requested up-front before the show even opens.

Everything I sell early in a con thread I have an order already in place with the publisher, I know the quality of the product, or I have them already in hand before the show.

The rest I wait until the show & I have them in hand so everyone knows what they are getting.

I'm attending Fan Expo & I could put stuff up for pre-sale that I know I'll be getting but I'm waiting to see the quality first. There's no point in disappointing people over a few bucks.

(shrug)

Does everyone know that they can CHANGE THE TITLE IN THEIR OWN POST?

If you don't, you do now...

It would be helpful for those of us who have this thread on watch in our emails. It gets confusing when someone changes the title randomly and you get bizarre emails...

Not that I mind some of my bizarre emails...but usually they are from friends;)

I like front and back pictures, large size, because the thumbnails don't always enlarge to a proper size and I don't like presales.

I'd rather see a picture of what I'm considering.

(just to keep up the conversation;)

I like front and back pictures, large size, because the thumbnails don't always enlarge to a proper size and I don't like presales.

I'd rather see a picture of what I'm considering.

(just to keep up the conversation;)

Yep. I find this is a problem as well. Typically, the scans posted in the threads are larger/higher resolution than the thumbnails leading you back to photobucket. At any rate, that is the way they display on my computer.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

One or two books per post; multiples in a single post can take forever to load.
Didn't think about this before...I sometimes put 4-5 books in a post because it seemed more efficient for some reason...didn't think about how that would affect load times... hm good to know.

What if you say 10% off or 15% off?

Is it that hard to do the math?

no.

I can do math.

It's not about the math, its about my own observed behavior of not automatically going back thru a thread when someone notes discounts w/o listing a summary of remaining books or something to that effect.

Agreed. I'm a lot less likely to participate if there isn't a summary of some sort accompanying the price update notice.

Didn't think about this before...I sometimes put 4-5 books in a post because it seemed more efficient for some reason...didn't think about how that would affect load times... hm good to know.

A single book per post make quoting with an :takeit: easier. (thumbs u

A single book per post make quoting with an :takeit: easier. (thumbs u

1 book/lot per post is definately the most functional. (thumbs u

I prefer full-sized front and back in the thread. Show me what ya got.

Me too.

Another reason to just do one book per post.

Some people are on mobiles, and trying to edit the post you are quoting in an effort to post the "I'll take it" can be difficult (I know it is for me).

And Im with the regular size scans.

I always liked the threads that did back cover scans as "minis" so you could click on them if you really wanted to see the back covers..

Some day ill be as virtuous as you two, God willing. Thank you for being such a good example.

Gentle denizens of the CGC Boards, please forgive me for maligning junk swapping. I realize that on a Board where there have been multi-thousand dollar scams, stealing wives, and threats of physical violence, I have set a new low by saying bad things about the PIF thread. Wash away my iniquities, and help me see that meekly perusing threads, rubbing fannies, clapping hands and keeping on the lookout for folks who might want to buy my junk are the proper method of interacting with my fellow man on these Boards.

Finally, please grant me a whole ton of Windex for the phoneys in their glass houses. Thank you.

Troll boy.

You forgot to mention charities that weren't charities, people celebrating that board members died, and boardies threatening unseemly acts to other boardies moms....etc etc.

This is lower than all of those. Sure. Why not?

Yeah! What he said.

:sumo:

Oh, wait. If someone was calling one of your buddies a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces for participating in what generally is a trading thread, your stance would be different. So I guess it is all in good fun to do this when calling a larger audience a bunch of .

Continue on with your logical stance. Makes perfect sense.

I think the all time low is funny. It's just Bosco's agenda. He's still butthurt about his strike callout. I didn't like my strike either. And his crew rolling in is cool, too. It's not cool when my crew rolls in, but those guys are jagoffs. It is not friendly to call the PIF stupid, but I think it is, so i can either be a hypocrite or be quiet. I was quiet about it for months until it was brought to the doorstep of the Probation Thread. Then I gave my opinion. In a not very friendly manner.

Folks that don't think the PIF is stupid have made some very good points, and it seems like the consensus is to add PIF offender to the PL with a notation that it is PIF.

I'm not going to get dragged into anything unless it gets funny or entertaining. I hope I have enough self control to avoid a strike. Anyone that wants to take shots at me for being a , have at it. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Edited by seanfingh