• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

What do you guys think about the concept of a seller stating a set price for books and I'll take it governs but if all the books don't sell by the time the thread closes (time is indeterminate) then all sales are canceled (assume no money changes hands until after the thread concludes) is this within the rules and goals of the sales thread?

What do you guys think about the concept of a seller stating a set price for books and I'll take it governs but if all the books don't sell by the time the thread closes (time is indeterminate) then all sales are canceled (assume no money changes hands until after the thread concludes) is this within the rules and goals of the sales thread?

Not sure what the point would be..if you want a sales thread where all the books are guaranteed to sell then sell them as one big lot.

I don't know of it is within the rules and the goals of the sales thread, but it seems like a way to upset a few potential customers. Would hate to think that I'll be getting a book then an indeterminate amount of time later the seller backs out, or doesn't sell everything and so doesn't sell anything.

If you were undercutting everybody and everywhere else and the deals were to good to pass up you would sell everything. So maybe if that is the intention you will make it work.

Edited by No Quarter

This was my thought as well. That this kind of way of selling would just burn bridges. To me the easiest way to sell the whole lot is to just price the books at a good price, this is more of a hypothetical discussion.

Who would buy anything in a sale like this. Not me, that's for sure. Whatever isn't selling in my threads gets discounted, or put back in the boxes. Did someone on here run a thread like this or what?

Who would buy anything in a sale like this. Not me, that's for sure. Whatever isn't selling in my threads gets discounted, or put back in the boxes. Did someone on here run a thread like this or what?

Is this in reference to that Mystery Box thread?

If we told you. it wouldn't be a mystery.

That is getting run more like a type of event that was discussed awhile ago. He has some decent books it looks like, with the one 'jackpot' book. Not my type of deal, almost like a lottery, but I understand why people would buy them.

My response was more in regards to if the items were listed. With mystery boxes Im not planning on getting anything specific, so I won't let other good deals pass me by.

Since it is that thread and I did take two of them, I thought the rules were ok (all 20 must sell) as other mystery box threads have had the same provision in the past.

If the thread is in violation of the raffle rule, then notify the mods and it will be removed.

If the concern is in regards to no time limit, I will contact the seller and ask that he specify.

If we told you. it wouldn't be a mystery.

I saw that and I thought it was weird that people don't like the "all claimed or nothing sells" idea. It makes sense to me.

Someone please, let me know where my thinking is off on this if it is. So there are 20 boxes, and if it is a true mystery box, then the seller should have 20 boxes that look exactly alike and they are already boxed and sealed and jumbled around so even he does not know what is in each one now. He numbers them 1 to 20 and sells them to those who claim it. If only two people claim boxes (where it currently stands right now) then there is a good chance none of them will get the prized book, ASM #700 SS Stan Lee. That could create a problem if no one gets it, calling the thread misleading.

At the same time, he's probably just trying to move all the books at once instead of waiting for us to pick over some and not others…who's got time for that seriously? :insane:

I agree that there needs to be a time frame specified as to when all the boxes must be claimed by.

What are the opinions based on the shown books...

Would $100 be a fair mystery box price if there was no "chase" book?

The previous raffle was a problem because there were winners and losers winners got a book worth more than they paid, losers got a book worth less.

If the boxes are worth $100 without the chase book then I think it's ok cause people are still buying the boxes and will be happy even if they dont get the Stan Lee SS.

But Im not a big modern buyer, so Im not sure if the value is there.

As far as the "must sell all" for the sale to be legit. I guess it's ok. Seller sets the rules, though I know some people don't want to bother getting engaged in something if they arent sure its definitely going to happen... There will likely be some tipping point when it gets up to 12-15 of the boxes taken and then (when people see that it is going to happen) they jump on and get it to the 20 mark.

the "all 20 must sell" thing does give me pause becuase its basically him saying "if I dont get rid of all of this stuff I dont want to have to give up the Stan Lee SS" which again makes it seem a little more like a raffle and less like a straight mystery box sale.

the "all 20 must sell" thing does give me pause becuase its basically him saying "if I dont get rid of all of this drek stuff I dont want to have to give up the Stan Lee SS" which again makes it seem a little more like a raffle and less like a straight mystery box sale.

Yes, he can do what ever he wants. But the all or nothing thing bothers me. Why not just let it run till its all gone? That way everyone is going to get they're box. That takes the mystery out of it.

Why not just let it run till its all gone? That way everyone is going to get they're box.

cause what he doesnt want is for the first box he sells (and ships) to have the SS in it ("Wahoo I got the Stan Lee!) and then see his sales thread dry up cause it's already popped its proverbial cherry.

Why not just let it run till its all gone? That way everyone is going to get they're box.

cause what he doesnt want is for the first box he sells (and ships) to have the SS in it ("Wahoo I got the Stan Lee!) and then see his sales thread dry up cause it's already popped its proverbial cherry.

o.k. but why does he have to start shipping anything out until everything is sold?

o.k. but why does he have to start shipping anything out until everything is sold?

True. Don't ship anything until the sale is over. No need to sell all 20 to be successful.