• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

My question is, without seeing the back from the slab yet, if something happened to the book between when you sent it and it being graded. I've seen artists handle books horribly during signings.

Do you know who the facilitator Hustruck used was?

i will ask him for a back cover scan. to be honest, i hadn't thought about that (damage to back cover) as my main concern was to determine if it was the same book.

he obtained the signatures himself, so he did not use a facilitator.

So jsilver bought a Hulk 180 and an FF 14 on here that were both sold with undisclosed restoration?

:popcorn:

want to be sure i understand exactly what you are saying.

can you rephrase it again?

So jsilver bought a Hulk 180 and an FF 14 on here that were both sold with undisclosed restoration?

I'm not referring to your deal with Hustruck at all.

I was just noting that your purchases from two different sellers had undisclosed restoration. I know people can unknowingly pass on a restored book, that is what happened to you, presumably that is what happened to the guys who sold to you.

I'm not referring to your deal with Hustruck at all.

I was just noting that your purchases from two different sellers had undisclosed restoration. I know people can unknowingly pass on a restored book, that is what happened to you, presumably that is what happened to the guys who sold to you.

understood. i thought that's what you meant but didn't want to comment incorrectly.

I asked the seller about the FF14 as i was worried the other books in the purchase (including an FF12) might have restoration. All the books were purchased separately by him and he believes he purchased that FF14 on ebay.

I am not sure about where the buyer of the hulk 180 picked up the book.

This is the first time I've ever dealt with restoration so I am not very familiar with detection (the FF14 was easy as it had bleed through).

I've made the mistake of having too much trust on my purchase with the boards as up to now everything has been great that i've neglected to be as stringent in my review of the books that i've purchased.

these two purchases won't make me hesitate or change my approach to buying (90% of all my high grade/expensive book purchases are on the boards) but i will be more careful upon inspection of books as i receive them.

and i do believe that both sellers were not aware that the books were restored. both have great reputations and i believe as humans we are prone to make mistakes.

Totally understand missing the CT (hell we've all done it once or twice in our lives right?) but was the BC posted in the PGM? Looks like several stains and one crease on the BC.

Totally understand missing the CT (hell we've all done it once or twice in our lives right?) but was the BC posted in the PGM? Looks like several stains and one crease on the BC.
yes the original seller had both scans in the PGM but those images are now gone.

Several regulars like Oak, Divad, Timern, and the collector had the book 8.5/9.0

Here's my concern about the IH180.

Because he decided to get the book signed by Trimpe there is literally NO WAY he can return the book he bought in the same state in which he bought it.

The condition change from 9.0 to 6.5 certainly could have occurred due to the signing process either by Hustrucks own handling, or Herbs.

You cant be held accountable for the grade drop when there are so many variables added to the books handling.

I think you should (at most) refund him what you think the value drop from a universal 6.5 to a restored 6.5 is... (ignore the signature), that's the only part of this that you can still be considered accountable for (and then you can decide how to deal with the person you bought it from).

And you're right he doesnt get to pick and choose which parts to return based on which get better/worse CGC grades. Would he be sending you $$ if the book came back graded HIGHER than advertised?

When looking at the full sized scans it looks like there has been some damage to the book (though hard to tell since one is through a plastic case).

-Wendigo tail area (looks like a 3/4" dent/cover push)

-Wendigo foot/back of girl looks like some significant colour loss

(shrug)

Here's my concern about the IH180.

Because he decided to get the book signed by Trimpe there is literally NO WAY he can return the book he bought in the same state in which he bought it.

The condition change from 9.0 to 6.5 certainly could have occurred due to the signing process either by Hustrucks own handling, or Herbs.

You cant be held accountable for the grade drop when there are so many variables added to the books handling.

I think you should (at most) refund him what you think the value drop from a universal 6.5 to a restored 6.5 is... (ignore the signature), that's the only part of this that you can still be considered accountable for (and then you can decide how to deal with the person you bought it from).

And you're right he doesnt get to pick and choose which parts to return based on which get better/worse CGC grades. Would he be sending you $$ if the book came back graded HIGHER than advertised?

I agree with this analysis. The only remaining difficulty is in determining how this formula translates into an agreeable sum for a partial refund. There are GPA values obviously for universal 6.5s, and there are some conventional scales for determining the % of value lost in a restored copy.

How is this reconciled with the actual $$ spent by the buyer on the book? It might be easiest to simply apply the % of value lost to the sum actually paid. So if its 50% value lost to resto, for the sake of argument, the buyer gets back $50 instead of $100, and so on. This might also be a convenient compromise. (shrug)

I want to hear more opinions and I want to see the back cover scan.

I appreciate the groups feedback so far.

Originally the agreement between HusTruck and I was the groups feedback on the $20 vs $100 partial refund.

While $50 has been suggested, there have also been many who have said a return of all books and full refund (plus grading fees) or no refund at all

I'll see what happens in the next few days.

a return of all books and full refund (plus grading fees) or no refund at all

^^

They were part of a package deal, no? They should be kept or returned as a package deal. Otherwise it seems like it's sort of cherry picking. 2c

Although partial refunds often make sense I don't like them. I offer full refunds on all purchases and don't usually entertain partials. There is nothing in this scenario that requires a partial refund forme and I think you were very generous in offering the full refund.

Originally the agreement between HusTruck and I was the groups feedback on the $20 vs $100 partial refund.

While $50 has been suggested, there have also been many who have said a return of all books and full refund (plus grading fees) or no refund at all

Since I sold him the 180 back in December, I figured I should chime in...

The book looked really nice in hand and I was really surprised it got hammered. Also, where the color touch came from is at best a guess since he had the book signed. jsilver asked for a partial. What do I say to that? It's been over 4 months, the book has changed hands twice, has been signed and graded.

@ jsilver: Know I'm still new here, so my opinion might not fit the norm for the board, but in this situation I would consider a partial refund generous. Refund of the whole purchase or no refund seems like the 'fair' choices.

If the restoration was noticed on receipt and he asked for a refund of the book, or a partial refund, then I would side to him.

Waiting until all the books come back seems like a low risk high reward way to buy books. Buying raw is cheaper since it does carry more risk, but also has a chance for better deals. One of the risks is that a book will have restoration that is unnoticeable.

If you really want to offer a partial refund, $20 seems reasonable to me.

@highradart : I personally wouldn't expect any kind of refund to come from you. It is sad that the book is restored, but, like you said, it has changed hands since and been graded. A partial from you doesn't seem fair at all, unless you are trying to get a partial from the person you bought it from as well ;p

Edited by No Quarter

Since I sold him the 180 back in December, I figured I should chime in...

The book looked really nice in hand and I was really surprised it got hammered. Also, where the color touch came from is at best a guess since he had the book signed. jsilver asked for a partial. What do I say to that? It's been over 4 months, the book has changed hands twice, has been signed and graded.

The buyer should not have asked you for anything. Politely decline the request and move on. Anything more and I'll require some personal information when I recommend you for sainthood.