• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

You were getting paid by check, with an offer to ship to the same person that you agreed to sell it to anyway. You were going to have cleared funds in your account before you ever shipped and the book in the hands of a guy you were comfortable enough to sell to directly.

And this.

Didn't the seller put the book on hold because it was not, at that point, sold? The seller pretty clearly states that he will ship to the US only in his first post and nothing about that PM conversation suggests a done deal.

It did not show up in the posted p.m. exchange...but according to quadman...the first p.m. sent was the :takeit: sign.

After that...they were just ironing out the details and quadman simply asked if the seller was willing to used a mutually known third party as a middleman. quadman never said he would not take the book if one wasn't used...he was simply asking if it was ok to use one.

I'm just not really seeing much fault with the seller here. We are all supposing a lot about his intentions when taking Rick's unconditional takeit but it's entirely up to the seller to accept or reject extraneous after-the-fact conditions when he states his requirements in the very first post.

There were no after-the-fact "conditions" stated. The buyer simply asked a question.

"I was thinking with such a large purchase maybe we can use reputable board member as a middle man? Maybe Filter or GAtor?"

The seller did not want to use a third party and that was ok with the buyer...as was noted in his next p.m reply to the seller.

"I'll send a cheque straight up then "

I guess. It seems like the tenor of this whole conversation is leading towards demonizing the seller for choosing the deal he was most comfortable with. The "on hold" is a monkeywrench but the deal was never finalized.

It wasn't finalized because the seller chose, voluntarily, to ignore the "On Hold" that he offered and created himself, again voluntarily.

It's a monkeywrench because it created a duty. Once created, it gave Quadman an expectation that it would be respected and honored. It wasn't. That would be a problem in any business setting.

Do you think the seller should now be obligated to sell to quadman? And if he refuses, should the seller be placed on the probation list?

Ryan, the seller himself said "Normal rules apply" - meaning first :takeit: wins.

Randy's first post to the seller was :takeit: . Several people have wondered why the seller didn't mark the thread "SOLD" - he was the one that chose to mark the book "ON HOLD". (shrug)

You know what, I changed my mind. Quadman won the book. The probation list still feels a little extreme considering this seems borne more out of misunderstanding than malicious intent or incompetence.

I notified the other party I will be keeping the Action 23 with me. The other party (Not Quadman) agrees that would be best under the circumstances. I apologize to the board for any procedural errors, misconceptions or ill will towards any party involved.

Please don't punish GAtor for our lack of being able to work something out. None of this is his fault. I'll remove all claims to the book if you will honour his :takeit:

You know what, I changed my mind. Quadman won the book. The probation list still feels a little extreme considering this seems borne more out of misunderstanding than malicious intent or incompetence.

After reading all the details... I stand with the other Ryan (or am I the other Ryan hm )

I notified the other party I will be keeping the Action 23 with me. The other party (Not Quadman) agrees that would be best under the circumstances. I apologize to the board for any procedural errors, misconceptions or ill will towards any party involved.

Please don't punish GAtor for our lack of being able to work something out. None of this is his fault. I'll remove all claims to the book if you will honour his :takeit:

(worship)

One thing that comes out of this:

quadman78 - :angel:

trory140 - :devil:

After reading all the details... I stand with the other Ryan (or am I the other Ryan hm )

:sumo:

The book was on HOLD not SOLD. I placed it on HOLD to figure out if I wanted to sell it to a buyer out of the country and see what his ideas were. He wanted a third party and this was looking like more trouble than it was worth. As far as not knowing who he is no I don't. I mostly lurk as my post count will attest. I am not KAV and I am not going completing any 10,000 dollar transactions unless I feel comfortable with the buyer, terms, payment, shipping etc.

This was on HOLD to see what the potential buyer had to say. What he said was I live in another country, I would like a third party.

I'm sorry, you didn't handle this well and this clusterduster is the result.

When selling 10k books 'Usual Rules Apply' isn't clear enough as there are no agreed on selling rules. :takeit: in thread wins would have been much easier.

Putting the book on hold was an honorable thing for you to do. You could have discussed the sale via pm and left the book for sale on the thread. Once you held the book for the pm buyer you should have continued to discuss his terms and ignored any action in your sales thread. If there was something about the terms - 3rd party etc - that was a problem you should have told the pm buyer the terms were unacceptable and the book was no longer on hold.

Yes, it's your book, you sold it to someone you trust, for your asking price, but did you really handle this well? And how would you feel if the situation was reversed?

And lastly, what real risk do you face when payment is via cheque or money order? All the risk is on the buyer and that's why he was asking about a 3rd party. You want a payment method that has the lowest fees but puts the buyer at risk yet you're unwilling to accommodate him.

Im not sure what to say here other than I will not be shipping any book to Quadman78. We can argue the semantics of "HOLD" but I am not letting a book go in a transaction that I don't feel comfortable with. I would require a check or MO but that does not negate any risk on my part. Apparently going forward I will have to put a wall of legalese in my posts.
Could you clarify as to what risk you would still have with check or mo? I'm still unclear on this. Anyone?

The book was on HOLD not SOLD. I placed it on HOLD to figure out if I wanted to sell it to a buyer out of the country and see what his ideas were. He wanted a third party and this was looking like more trouble than it was worth. As far as not knowing who he is no I don't. I mostly lurk as my post count will attest. I am not KAV and I am not going completing any 10,000 dollar transactions unless I feel comfortable with the buyer, terms, payment, shipping etc.

This was on HOLD to see what the potential buyer had to say. What he said was I live in another country, I would like a third party.

I'm sorry, you didn't handle this well and this clusterduster is the result.

When selling 10k books 'Usual Rules Apply' isn't clear enough as there are no agreed on selling rules. :takeit: in thread wins would have been much easier.

Putting the book on hold was an honorable thing for you to do. You could have discussed the sale via pm and left the book for sale on the thread. Once you held the book for the pm buyer you should have continued to discuss his terms and ignored any action in your sales thread. If there was something about the terms - 3rd party etc - that was a problem you should have told the pm buyer the terms were unacceptable and the book was no longer on hold.

Yes, it's your book, you sold it to someone you trust, for your asking price, but did you really handle this well? And how would you feel if the situation was reversed?

And lastly, what real risk do you face when payment is via cheque or money order? All the risk is on the buyer and that's why he was asking about a 3rd party. You want a payment method that has the lowest fees but puts the buyer at risk yet you're unwilling to accommodate him.

^^

Very well said.

(worship)

wow

Quadman, what exactly did you PM him? Because if you just posted a :takeit: there shouldn't have needed to be any dickering on his part and the book should have been claimed by you.

How purchase price is to be paid is an essential term of the contract. Buyer made a counter offer regarding this term. That would count as a rejection of the original offer. Seller did not accept the counter offer. Seller accepted Gators offer to his original sale.

As I see it putting it on hold was a kind gesture but doesn't denote acceptance of his offer.

Edited by Pike's Comics

(worship)

wow

(thumbs u

this is just general thoughts:

I did just recently see a straw man sales thread where a book was on hold, then off hold...have no idea what went on behind the scenes...not sure if anyone ever bought it...

in all the years I have been buying books on these boards,I have never considered "on hold" to mean sold, but some negotiating of some sort going on..in every instance I consider a book available until a sold by seller is posted, or an unconditional take it by buyer is posted ...I don't even consider "take it via pm" as sold (and I've posted these plenty of times), until the seller confirms, because who knows if the seller has even agreed or accepted the terms.... that's why I posted the "non conditional" take it...no negotiating needed... I thought that was "standard rules"...

I have always considered an unconditional take it in the thread, to mean "sold", regardless of what was happening in a PM, unless the seller specified that a pm take it (which is private and unknown to other potential buyers) would supercede (I myself specify time stamps, etc) and that the seller acknowledges in the thread.... sometimes, a seller will see a "take it" in a thread, before a PM is even read, etc...

there just seems to be too many rules that folks all interpret or use differently, so that is why I am ok with the seller rescinding the book in this case...sometimes, folks make mistakes, it happens...live and let live as long as there was no malice, which I don't believe there was... I know both rory and randy, and both are aces in my book

in reading some other boardies thoughts , I will look at "on hold" as meaning something other than what I had previously considered, and will probably add something like "I will take it if the hold becomes unhold", or something like that to establish one's place in line.... you learn something new every day... but I still think to avoid situations like this, some rules of order should be specified in the thread...

just my 2c

It's hilarious how some would rather take their ball and go home than admit fault and keep playing. And it's a minor fault that's easily resolvable and would be a win-win for all involved. Oh well.

Quadman, what exactly did you PM him? Because if you just posted a :takeit: there shouldn't have needed to be any dickering on his part and the book should have been claimed by you.

How purchase price is to be paid is an essential term of the contract. Buyer made a counter offer regarding this term. That would count as a rejection of the original offer. Seller did not accept the counter offer. Seller accepted Gators offer to his original sale.

As I see it putting it on hold was a kind gesture but doesn't denote acceptance of his offer.

Interesting take.