• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Anyone think strikes will be coming down for this one? http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8528287&fpart=6 The OP was a tool, but there was a fair bit of TCing going on in there.

Potential for one of the greatest "Last Posts" in board history....

k4l9h.jpg

:roflmao:^^

This one was good to! :D

0abHfOD.gif

No this is correct. You don't get the option to prepare shipping label until you've been paid.

Actually, you can...I sent an invoice and I got a flashing light saying to print shipping label. I did ...not seeing the other flashing light at the top of the shipping label page saying Warning they have not paid (I was a little distracted)

Luckily the person was nice and paid me for the books, since I didn't notice till after the postperson took them and I was working on the next label (when I noticed the flashing light)

It was only $12, so I wasn't really worried...but you sure can print a label without them paying. I think it pops up on your list when you send an invoice.

I did write to eBay and say they shouldn't do that.

I have a bunch of notices now where people have not paid that say to print the shipping label.

Hmm Interesting.

I've said this before: I don't know why many think that PMs are sacrosanct, and cannot be shared publicly.

The "private" in "private message" only means that people not invited to that PM aren't able to access it. It's private between you and whomever you are engaged with.

It does not mean, nor even imply, that some expectation of enforced privacy on any party involved in the PM is created or maintained through this particular method of communication.

The simple rules follows: if you wouldn't say it in public, you probably shouldn't be saying it in private. And if someone sends me a PM, especially an unsolicited one, they should have no expectation that that information is actually private in the sense of not being able to share with others, unless all parties agree otherwise (aka "personal conversations between friends.")

Obviously, if a deal falls apart, PMs are going to be important documentation to find out who is really at fault.

And if someone defrauds you...they have no right to expect their PMs with you remain "private."

Aside from your general reasoning "private" means "private", otherwise its public.

And no, I would not say at all in public things I am bound to elaborate with some specific person: thats the very sense of "private".

I agree Claudio that there is a basic common sense expectation of privacy when somebody here communicates via PM. RMA is also right though that in the specific case of a PL process PMs are often disclosed, and sometimes made to be disclosed to substantiate what was or wasn't promised in a deal.

But that's where common sense and the use of the word "private" can be misleading.

If you write me a letter, drop it in the mail, and I receive it. No one can open it before it gets to me. It's sent only to me. Once I have it, however, I can do whatever I want with it. Absent some express agreement between the parties this is like putting your personal items in the garbage...you've let them out of your control. The expectation of privacy is gone once you let that letter out of your control and it's in the hands of its intended party.

The PM system is simply a way of allowing people to speak to each other directly without having it be in a regular thread. It's not a Cone of Silence. Both parties have to agree to the privacy of the messages before the communication takes place. And even if there is such an agreement I can see waiver if one party comes to a public area and misstates the content of PM communication and the revelation of the PMs becomes necessary to correct an inaccuracy.

I agree that there is no obligation to keep confidentiality, I was thinking more of certain customs or "best practices" which even here separate some things out as proper to one or the other, for example, if someone in a sale's thread starts opening negotiation in a thread they will be told to "take it to PM", signifying that it is not a proper subject for public scrutiny.

Certainly, yes, after the fact, either one may choose to reveal those terms, so I do see your point. And absolutely, when there is a dispute, it by definition becomes subject to scrutiny.

I guess it depends on the person. I treat PMs to me as confidential because I assume that they were directed to me personally for a reason, that does not (or should not) concern others.

I do, too. It's part of common courtesy and positive interaction.

It's the "GASP! You posted a PRIVATE message publicly, how DARE YOU!!!" from the peanut gallery that I'm addressing here. There is no such expectation of privacy, nor should there be.

The things that, for example, Park has shared with me via PM, I do not share with anyone else, out of respect for him and because I value our friendship. I don't want to jeopardize that relationship by making public things we discussed privately (aka, "personal conversations between friends.") That's true even if he does like to roll around naked on Copper age comics.

If, however, someone I didn't have a friendship with decided to send me a PM...unsolicited...in which they say less-than-positive things to or about me...they have no right to expect that, just because it was sent through the PM system, I can't make that message public.

But some around here behave as if PMs, no matter what the context, are, as comix4fun said, a "Cone of Silence." People have even called for strikes and worse to those who "violate" the "sanctity" of the PM.

And that's just ridiculous.

Other than personally identifying information that the person has not made public, everything else is, and should be, fair to make public.

I think I will now ease off my abusive PMs to you. I only abuse others in confidence.

Anyone think strikes will be coming down for this one? http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8528287&fpart=6 The OP was a tool, but there was a fair bit of TCing going on in there.

You worry too much. 2c

Can people stop buying from people who don't post grades in sales threads so that more people will post grades in sales threads? (I'm aware that just pics/scans are enough per the rules.) I just don't understand why otherwise knowledgeable experienced sellers won't post an estimated grade? Are there that many disputes and returns? Or just that many people who don't care? And I feel like its getting worse, and people just keep on buying....

I know I personally just assume its a VF (or worse) and that's why no grade is posted. Am I the only one who feels this way? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

That is all.

Thanks.

Can people stop buying from people who don't post grades in sales threads so that more people will post grades in sales threads? (I'm aware that just pics/scans are enough per the rules.) I just don't understand why otherwise knowledgeable experienced sellers won't post an estimated grade? Are there that many disputes and returns? Or just that many people who don't care? And I feel like its getting worse, and people just keep on buying....

I know I personally just assume its a VF (or worse) and that's why no grade is posted. Am I the only one who feels this way? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

That is all.

Thanks.

I have always assumed that scans were representative of the grade. If there are defects that are not visible in the scan they should be mentioned.

That is all.

Thanks.

I have always assumed that scans were representative of the grade. If there are defects that are not visible in the scan they should be mentioned.

Even if they are, why not mention the grade? so a potential buyer doesn't have to waste time looking at scans that are not in the grade they might want. The seller has to take the time to scan the book, and look for issues not on the scan, so why not just post the grade?

That is all.

Thanks.

Even if they are, why not mention the grade? so a potential buyer doesn't have to waste time looking at scans that are not in the grade they might want. The seller has to take the time to scan the book, and look for issues not on the scan, so why not just post the grade?

Because grade are subjective. Most of the books I have bought on here lately have been overgraded but the price was below what I was willing to pay for the condition of the book in the picture. I would rather buy from a picture than a its cgc grade whatever with no pic. Just my opinion.

That is all.

Thanks.

Why? Post a grade and people complain about your grading. Don't post a grade and he we are.

Yes, I believe it is because grading is subjective, and they don't want to get into an argument/discussion about it. I say it's a VG+ and someone buys it and thinks it's a VG-, so there is trouble there. Post a picture without a grade and you really can't argue about that, unless there are undisclosed issues.

Having said that, I still prefer scans WITH a grade.

Edited by CatskillMike

Potential for one of the greatest "Last Posts" in board history....

k4l9h.jpg

He was directing that Liar comment to me for this interchange.....

Him: No plans to ever sell any books and with the headache I got here, I really dont want to do it again.

My comment in response: You just used this site to sell a 4K book with no fees and you are upset. \(shrug\)

Him: Liar.......

I don't know who bought the book from him but good luck. It may have been a good price but sometimes the risk/reward just isn't worth it.

Yes, I believe it is because grading is subjective, and they don't want to get into an argument/discussion about it. I say it's a VG+ and someone buys it and thinks it's a VG-, so there is trouble there. Post a picture without a grade and you really can't argue about that, unless there is undisclosed issues.

Having said that, I still prefer scans WITH a grade.

II don't understand the no picture thing. Maybe on $1 books and even then I'd do a group shot, but on high $$ books?

I saw one before from an old time seller with pictures and estimated grades/no returns...on raw books.

t's not that hard, take a picture, post a grade, say if you are on the fence, offer returns...it's work, but it works.

Edited by skypinkblu

That is all.

Thanks.

So that prospective buyers won't be prejudiced by the seller unnecessarily.

If I think something is a VG, but a buyer thinks it's a F/VF, they won't look at the scan as closely, and will accept, even if unconsciously, "my word" for it.