• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Just wondering, but if you can say "take it, pending scans", how is that any different than saying "take it, pending whether I later decide to take it" absent a Seller's rule to the contrary.

If a Seller allows it, it should be fine. I always say in my threads that first deal in time wins, so if you want to wait, you bear the risk. I think that is fairer than having the seller bear the risk of an unconditional I'll Take It having to wait for a conditional one. But that is me.

True,

It's on the seller. If they accept a conditional deal they have to ride out the conditions before accepting an unconditional offer. They'd have to specifically tell the party making conditional offer that if an unconditional offer comes in they are out. Absent that, the seller's acceptance of the conditional deal is binding.

I was the seller. I have always assumed the 1st unconditional :takeit: would trump any deal that was pending based on buyer caveats. I have no problem honoring the deal with the original buyer, I have even knocked off another $50.00 from our price. When I accepted the other mans offer I honesty felt like I was following this site's SOP. I still do to a degree. I have now learned that there are no general everybody knows guidelines here, but a set of rules the seller must write it up prior to starting the sale's thread. Lessoned learned.

It would be a lot easier if you dumbazz sellers would actually have scans ready before they list a book.

xoxo

greggy

That would solve a lot. I was going to suggest that the seller be sure, when in PM negotiations and they have laid out the rule about "Takeit Trumps All", that they reinforce this in their PM negotiations. Something like "Please be aware that if a Takeit is posted in the thread before we complete the negotiations I am obliged to sell to that person."

BUT if they do not have scans ready and need time to make them and send them, then that opens up the possibility of a "stall tactic" accusation (delaying the scans and thus delaying the PM negotiation).

Definitely better to have scans not only ready but also posted in the thread.

I don't sell often but 95% of sales have happened without back scans. The front scan was there.

Ok Well this is my mistake then. I honestly thought on this board the 1st unconditional "i'll take it" wins. My apologies to all invoved if that is not how it works.

There are some ambiguities in the process. I think, though, that once a seller agrees to accept a buyer's terms, then the seller can't (or shouldn't) back out if someone subsequently posts an "unconditional take it."

In this case, the buyer did seem to have some terms with respect to shipping and seeing scans, but you appeared to accept those terms in your PM exchange.

Maybe the safest course if you are uncertain about whether you want to accept a buyer's offer is to be explicit that you need time to think the offer over and that you plan to accept an unconditional take it should anyone post one in the mean time. The commonly used "A :takeit: in the thread or by PM trumps any ongoing PM negotiations" can cover this. My 2c

I was fine with what the original buyer wanted to do. That said I have always operated on the condition that the unconditional I'll take it trumps any deal with caveats. I 100% did not think this was outside the norm, or would cause a problem.

Edited by mdean2437

I'm still confused about the scans. Could they have negated the sale if the buyer didn't like them?

yes..

Normally I would put "first unconditional buyer takes it". If I considered accepting an offer with conditions, I make it clear to the conditional buyer, at that time, that if an unconditional buyer comes along he's got one of two options.

1) drop his condition and become an unconditional buyer

or

2) I reserve the right to accept the unconditional offer from the new buyer.

If I don't state that upfront I am bound to let the first buyer have his conditions.

In your case, since you didn't do the above when you agreed to the deal, your best bet is to go to the first buyer, the one with the condition that you agreed to, and mention that you have an unconditional buyer and see if he'd be willing to drop his condition. He's not bound to do it, but most people would.

Touching all the bases upfront while striking the deal will eliminate 99% of headaches.

Getting all the scans up at the beginning of the thread eliminates all of the above as well. lol

While I think it would be great to have a "board rule" on the :takeit: there seem to be too many variables to create a blanket rule- does the seller accept :takeit: via PM(or as I have encountered, other communication via text, phone call, etc) or just in the thread? Some sellers have strong feeling about it both ways. Public :takeit:s limit the PM sales that occur from buyers who may not post much. Maintaining that personal aspect may work as long as the buyers know what they are dealing with.

Maybe the best "board rule" is that a seller posts their :takeit: policy in the first post, we can certainly establish a selection of options that could be copied & pasted. It may not eliminate every issue but could help reduce them.

While I think it would be great to have a "board rule" on the :takeit: there seem to be too many variables to create a blanket rule- does the seller accept :takeit: via PM(or as I have encountered, other communication via text, phone call, etc) or just in the thread? Some sellers have strong feeling about it both ways. Public :takeit:s limit the PM sales that occur from buyers who may not post much. Maintaining that personal aspect may work as long as the buyers know what they are dealing with.

Maybe the best "board rule" is that a seller posts their :takeit: policy in the first post, we can certainly establish a selection of options that could be copied & pasted. It may not eliminate every issue but could help reduce them.

...... the main thing, like you said, is clarity in the terms of each seller's listing. To create a scenario that is fair to all buyers, the PM only option needs to be allowed. Privacy should be an option if someone chooses that route. It's the standard at all the auction houses and on eBay, so it's not like the idea is unorthodox. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The seller sells to who they wish. The seller does not need to be forced into offering options. The less people they choose to sell to the less sales they will have. The boards have too many rules as is. This whole "it's my book. I bought it 1st" is just silliness.

The seller sells to who they wish. The seller does not need to be forced into offering options. The less people they choose to sell to the less sales they will have. The boards have too many rules as is. This whole "it's my book. I bought it 1st" is just silliness.

It's not a rule, just the selling stating up front what their policy is so that when an issue arises there is something to refer to- it can be whatever the seller wants as a policy so we don't have questions arising like this past one and others like when Tranny got buggered out of a purchase.

Some sellers state "standard board rules" but there isn't one for that, it NEEDS to be specified by the seller, not the boards as a whole.

Some sellers state "standard board rules" but there isn't one for that, it NEEDS to be specified by the seller, not the boards as a whole.

This is true. Where did this "standard board rules" nonsense originate when there isn't any??

I agree completely with this sentiment.

This is true. Where did this "standard board rules" nonsense originate when there isn't any??

It appears sellers assume there is a general common sense policy that applies, but as we all know common sense has no place here. :insane: