• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Yes, thanks for the link. I've read through most of it before. I still see lots of adds saying "Paypal only", though that seems to go against #9.

More importantly, I can't find any "comparables"- maybe I'm dense, but I can't see where a single Ironman 55 has changed hands here on this forum, if only to get a sense of fair market value (outside of Ebay)...

cheers,

tbg

Go here and get a subscription. IM 55s have sold here, but unless you want to slog through sales threads, you are not going to be able to cull data. Plus, many times the sales prices are edited out, or the deal was done via PM. There are no comparables that are specific to this market. It is just "the market." Better leave some meat on the bone for the crew.

http://comics.gpanalysis.com/default.asp

Thanks re: personal Paypal. Makes sense.

And yes, a GPA subscription would be useful- I didn't realize how cheap it was. I don't have piles and piles of $100+ books and I doubt I'll stay "in the business" once this fellow's stash is liquidated, but I can take a lot of notes during a one-month subscription and see what I can get done. Now if I can only find a spare month...

Thanks for the suggestions, and yes- I don't need top dollar, just "fair and reasonable" without a lot of hassle.

cheers,

tbg

Edited by thebugguy

Thanks re: personal Paypal. Makes sense.

And yes, a GPA subscription would be useful- I didn't realize how cheap it was. I don't have piles and piles of $100+ books and I doubt I'll stay "in the business" once this fellow's stash is liquidated, but I can take a lot of notes during a one-month subscription and see what I can get done. Now if I can only find a spare month...

Thanks for the suggestions, and yes- I don't need top dollar, just "fair and reasonable" without a lot of hassle.

cheers,

tbg

Don't just use GPA. Look at the market. Use eBay to extract current asking prices. Often, you will see a large gap between realized prices through auction and people that do their homework based on supply, demand and competition asking prices. Realized low prices are often due to people either desperate to sell or don't realize that patience is a virtue. If the book isn't a key or hot book than avoid auctions as they will sell below market value. Lastly, if you want to take advantage of full market value don't sell here as you are dealing with people that are looking to make money from what you're offering.

Hmmmm! bugguy? hm

Exterminator maybe?

Nawp, but good guess. I only do "dead" bugs- I work for a major university research collection (~5,000,000 specimens). I get paid (sorta) for collecting and organizing bugs (think of a librarian and books), then go home and spend the money collecting stamps and coins (and just about anything else I can get my hands on).

I've set aside a few of my buddy's comics for myself (Arrgh! 1), but for the most part I'm just a pass-through. I get a kick out of learning new hobbies, though...

cheers,

tbg

Hmmmm! bugguy? hm

Exterminator maybe?

Nawp, but good guess. I only do "dead" bugs- I work for a major university research collection (~5,000,000 specimens). I get paid (sorta) for collecting and organizing bugs (think of a librarian and books), then go home and spend the money collecting stamps and coins (and just about anything else I can get my hands on).

I've set aside a few of my buddy's comics for myself (Arrgh! 1), but for the most part I'm just a pass-through. I get a kick out of learning new hobbies, though...

cheers,

tbg

I'm an exterminator, and I love killing things. lol

Realized low prices are often due to people either desperate to sell or don't realize that patience is a virtue.

Good advice- thanks. I'm somewhere in the middle in terms of turn-around time. I don't have to make my living doing this- I don't need to squeeze every penny from every book (and I'm not interested in dragging this out forever- the guy's got 1,400 more books I haven't even looked at yet!), but then I don't want to give 'em away, either. Frankly, I'd rather sell for a little less to a reputable buyer than deal with the potential hassle of an anonymous sale. I haven't been burned on Ebay too bad yet, but I get a little antsy with these higher end titles.

I have put the ASM 122 on Ebay before, but everyone only seemed interested in low-ball offers. I may not be an expert, but I'm not desperate, nor am I totally naive. It was kind of a waste of time...

cheers,

tbg

I get paid (sorta) for collecting and organizing bugs

Now, I'm really serious...you guys could collaborate hm Genius!

Do they have to be alive when you get them? :D

Man did I come across a doozy a few days ago,even kept it in my specimen jar.

I found a Tarantula hawk wasp,it's a wasp that lays eggs in the belly of a Tarantula,and the wasp larvae eats the spider from the inside out. Really amazing.

Picture1-5.png

Don't get stung by one, one of the most painful stings you'll ever deal with.

:idea:

NEW SUB-FORUM!!!!

"show us the new bugs in your collection"

:sumo:

:roflmao: I'm just fascinated by bugs,the hard part is having to kill a raccoon,skunk, or worse yet a mountain lion. Better yet try dealing with africanized bees. :eek:

I found a Tarantula hawk wasp,it's a wasp that lays eggs in the belly of a Tarantula,and the wasp larvae eats the spider from the inside out. Really amazing.

Picture1-5.png

Now THAT'S a wasp! And yes, they have one of the worst stings in the world- I've never been nailed by one, but that's because I know better! That's probably Pepsis or Hemipepsis- the real deal.

I do get asked questions about termites and fleas and imaginary insects inhabiting people's skin (delusional parasitosis is not just an urban legend!), but I prefer to go after little brown beetles and such. Matter of fact, I'm heading to Guatemala soon for a three week "vacation"- collecting jungle bugs (and drinking rum).

I only started this conversation now because I've been sitting on these books for a while and will need some pocket money for later in the summer...

cheers,

tbg

Realized low prices are often due to people either desperate to sell or don't realize that patience is a virtue.

Good advice- thanks. I'm somewhere in the middle in terms of turn-around time. I don't have to make my living doing this- I don't need to squeeze every penny from every book (and I'm not interested in dragging this out forever- the guy's got 1,400 more books I haven't even looked at yet!), but then I don't want to give 'em away, either. Frankly, I'd rather sell for a little less to a reputable buyer than deal with the potential hassle of an anonymous sale. I haven't been burned on Ebay too bad yet, but I get a little antsy with these higher end titles.

I have put the ASM 122 on Ebay before, but everyone only seemed interested in low-ball offers. I may not be an expert, but I'm not desperate, nor am I totally naive. It was kind of a waste of time...

cheers,

tbg

In addition to eBay completed auctions and GPA you can check the Heritage Auctions archive--it's free but you have register for the site.

Checking the sites of big dealers--Metropolis, highgradecomics, wwcomics, bedrockcity-- will give you an idea of the ceiling on the prices you can expect (it's unlikely, of course, that someone will buy from a new seller if they can buy at the same price from a well-known dealer).

If you list books here at GPA they should sell or generate reasonable offers.

Good luck!

Picture1-5.png

Now THAT'S a wasp! And yes, they have one of the worst stings in the world- I've never been nailed by one, but that's because I know better! That's probably Pepsis or Hemipepsis- the real deal.

I do get asked questions about termites and fleas and imaginary insects inhabiting people's skin (delusional parasitosis is not just an urban legend!), but I prefer to go after little brown beetles and such. Matter of fact, I'm heading to Guatemala soon for a three week "vacation"- collecting jungle bugs (and drinking rum).

I only started this conversation now because I've been sitting on these books for a while and will need some pocket money for later in the summer...

cheers,

tbg

It puts the lotion in the basket...

Picture1-5.png

cheers,

tbg

:roflmao: Andy, you slay me .

Picture1-5.png

cheers,

tbg

:roflmao: Andy, you slay me .

Your kids must win EVERY show and tell lol