• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Seller's prerogative trumps since it is the sellers sales thread. If a potential buy does not like it then they may move on.

Must agree.

A seller's sales thread is his and his alone. The seller really doesn't have to justify his actions to anyone.

That being said, his actions and ANY results that occur because of them, positive or negative, are for his shoulders to bear.

One of the advantages of eBay is anonymity... opinions of the seller occur after the sale there.

Here opinions are preconceived and not always because the seller has done any wrong... but just by the opinions of the judgmental "majority". Or at least the opinions from the ones who think they are a "majority" ;)

xxx ooo

Rupp

Seller's prerogative trumps since it is the sellers sales thread. If a potential buy does not like it then they may move on.

Must agree.

A seller's sales thread is his and his alone. The seller really doesn't have to justify his actions to anyone.

That being said, his actions and ANY results that occur because of them, positive or negative, are for his shoulders to bear.

One of the advantages of eBay is anonymity... opinions of the seller occur after the sale there.

Here opinions are preconceived and not always because the seller has done any wrong... but just by the opinions of the judgmental "majority". Or at least the opinions from the ones who think they are a "majority" ;)

xxx ooo

Rupp

If I was 300lbs, I'd be a majority :grin:

Must agree.

xxx ooo

Rupp

If I was 300lbs, I'd be a majority :grin:

I'm at 250 lbs... so that makes me almost one lol

xxx ooo

Rupp

People need a rule for this? I thought it was a right within society not to have to deal with someone you don't want to?

My concern is whether this community would accept a sales thread which opened with all the required information, but no reference to "I'll take its" at all, and stated only that the seller reserved the exclusive right to determine when a book was sold.

This would certainly be the logical expression of any right to not have to deal with anybody you don't want to.

The "I'll take it" is not mandated by the rules, it is a perfect example of convention or custom. The rules only say "11.Prompt responses must be made to buy requests made through the boards (posts or PMs)."

There would also be no point in referencing time stamps, since those followed from the logic of the "I'll take it", but where those do not exist, neither does time or order of operations matter. I can look through a series of buy requests, however expressed, at whatever time, and choose the one I prefer.

Maybe there is nothing wrong with this. I don't claim to know for sure, but maybe not everyone would be comfortable with that format. Certainly in strict terms if the seller is merely looking over buy requests, but committing to none, there is no obligation created until he or she chooses one. I'm guessing that would be the legal analysis.

For me, even if not strictly necessary, the "I'll take its" express the assumption of a certain equity and fairness, an open and level playing field, that the pure seller's prerogative does not.

I have doubles I want to sell, I honestly have no idea how to start a sales thread since,

1) I have a sense of humor that most people don't get

2) I would totally reserve the right to not sell to anyone, even people I would choose to do business with

3) The rules on this forum are WAY too complex for simple issues, I am surprised there aren't more strikes for aggressive spelling and punctuation.

Just put the whole forum on ignore...you can't get pms that way...no one can complete the transaction that way

and it also solves this "personal list " problem for everyone ..if the person is on ignore, they can't pm you.

I've only had 2 people on ignore ever one new person for a short time and one that continues to be ignore...if someone annoys me I usually forget about it soon after, unless that is, they keep annoying me so I can remember;)

Life is too short.

People need a rule for this? I thought it was a right within society not to have to deal with someone you don't want to?

My concern is whether this community would accept a sales thread which opened with all the required information, but no reference to "I'll take its" at all, and stated only that the seller reserved the exclusive right to determine when a book was sold.

This would certainly be the logical expression of any right to not have to deal with anybody you don't want to.

The "I'll take it" is not mandated by the rules, it is a perfect example of convention or custom. The rules only say "11.Prompt responses must be made to buy requests made through the boards (posts or PMs)."

There would also be no point in referencing time stamps, since those followed from the logic of the "I'll take it", but where those do not exist, neither does time or order of operations matter. I can look through a series of buy requests, however expressed, at whatever time, and choose the one I prefer.

Maybe there is nothing wrong with this. I don't claim to know for sure, but maybe not everyone would be comfortable with that format. Certainly in strict terms if the seller is merely looking over buy requests, but committing to none, there is no obligation created until he or she chooses one. I'm guessing that would be the legal analysis.

For me, even if not strictly necessary, the "I'll take its" express the assumption of a certain equity and fairness, an open and level playing field, that the pure seller's prerogative does not.

I have doubles I want to sell, I honestly have no idea how to start a sales thread since,

2) I would totally reserve the right to not sell to anyone, even people I would choose to do business with

3) The rules on this forum are WAY too complex for simple issues, I am surprised there aren't more strikes for aggressive spelling and punctuation.

Just put the whole forum on ignore...you can't get pms that way...no one can complete the transaction that way

and it also solves this "personal list " problem for everyone ..if the person is on ignore, they can't pm you.

I've only had 2 people on ignore ever one new person for a short time and one that continues to be ignore...if someone annoys me I usually forget about it soon after, unless that is, they keep annoying me so I can remember;)

Life is too short.

I guess I'm making a plea for shorter lists, and more critical self reflection when making them.

on ignore...you can't get pms that way...no one can complete the transaction that way

And the book is put back up for sale in the thread if :takeit: was used.

Not too difficult. :shy:

Life is too short.

The whole forum.....that's crazy talk. What would I do with my Fridays?

Life is too short.

Just put them on ignore during sales threads...and don't hold a sales thread on a Friday;)

Life is too short.

Just put them on ignore during sales threads...and don't hold a sales thread on a Friday;)

:banana:

Dunno what I'd do without ya

I'm asking here because I wouldn't in a sales thread, but what exactly is meant by "sniping" in this context? I'm assuming that if an auction closes at a precise time, that all valid bids entered prior to that time are equally legitimate, no?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8620531#Post8620531

I'm asking here because I wouldn't in a sales thread, but what exactly is meant by "sniping" in this context? I'm assuming that if an auction closes at a precise time, that all valid bids entered prior to that time are equally legitimate, no?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8620531#Post8620531

So now getting the highest bid in before an auction ends can be considered in poor taste? That totally makes sense.

So now getting the highest bid in before an auction ends can be considered in poor taste? That totally makes sense.

Sniping is all psychological

The “sniper” lives in the mind of the tortured bidder.

The tortured bidder had the earnest foresight to track the auction of their prized grail, to carefully plan the financing and nourish the thrill of anticipation, to believe that the world cannot be so unjust as to give it to someone unworthy.

Someone who just happened to log on within minutes or even seconds of the end of the auction

Someone who doesn’t even really care about that book

Someone who may not even care about comics or money

Someone who might like it only because those fat glossy cover colours match their décor

And who finally plans on using it as a coaster for their sticky can of Coke...

...In that moment of supreme horror, the sniper is born.

Sniping is all psychological

The “sniper” lives in the mind of the tortured bidder.

The tortured bidder had the earnest foresight to track the auction of their prized grail, to carefully plan the financing and nourish the thrill of anticipation, to believe that the world cannot be so unjust as to give it to someone unworthy.

Someone who just happened to log on within minutes or even seconds of the end of the auction

Someone who doesn’t even really care about that book

Someone who may not even care about comics or money

Someone who might like it only because those fat glossy cover colours match their décor

And who finally plans on using it as a coaster for their sticky can of Coke...

...In that moment of supreme horror, the sniper is born.

I think Buzzetta was speaking more to the bid increment than to the snipe. I took it as he didn't mind being sniped, just not by $5. (shrug)

Yes I understand, it was a bit unusual in not having bid increments, but whatever the increments, there is going to be a last bid, and the highest wins, what does it matter what the increments are?