• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

On the other hand, why say you'll take something before you've thoroughly thought it out?

Now the bee may be in someone else's bonnet that the book might be "tainted".

It makes the book more difficult to sell when in fact it might just have been the buyer who said he had another book in his sites, was persuaded by the other seller to take that one..

I agreed with where Buzzetta was going with the question. With a book at this price point, it's annoying to potentially get sniped by $1 or whatever, and to have that bid thrown in at the last second with no way to top it. Ebay and the other auction houses automatically have higher bid increments at that level, but here it's more of an honor system unless the seller specifies.

Say there's a forum auction, and I have a bid of $500 that's been riding all day with no further bids.

If someone else bids $525 at the very last second, I'd think "oh well, wish I'd won the book, but at least my buddy [the seller] got more $ for it."

But if someone else bids $500.01 at the very last second, they've won it for essentially the same bid price I put in.

Yes. This is the issue, not the sniping.

But on the issue of sniping....every bid entered, whether it is in the first second or the last, is legitimate. The people who have a problem with it is because they want to get the item for a lower price than they are willing to pay, always.

And that's true every single time.

They complain about someone "stealing" the item from them "in the last seconds." The operative word being "stealing." Because, of course, THEY wanted to "steal" the item themselves. But they never mention that.

If a buyer bids the most they are willing to pay, at the time of their bid, they will never be angry if someone outbids them, no matter when, because that person wanted it more than they did. Disappointed that they didn't get what they want, but it was more than they were willing to pay, so no harm, no foul.

I recently bid $450+ for an item I realllly wanted. It sold for $103. I wanted it the most. It's not worth $450, but I wasn't about to cheap out and try and "get a deal."

Yay! Two cents from RMA! (Poster is not responsible for inflation eating up value; results vary.)

I agreed with where Buzzetta was going with the question. With a book at this price point, it's annoying to potentially get sniped by $1 or whatever, and to have that bid thrown in at the last second with no way to top it. Ebay and the other auction houses automatically have higher bid increments at that level, but here it's more of an honor system unless the seller specifies.

Say there's a forum auction, and I have a bid of $500 that's been riding all day with no further bids.

If someone else bids $525 at the very last second, I'd think "oh well, wish I'd won the book, but at least my buddy [the seller] got more $ for it."

But if someone else bids $500.01 at the very last second, they've won it for essentially the same bid price I put in.

But on the issue of sniping....every bid entered, whether it is in the first second or the last, is legitimate. The people who have a problem with it is because they want to get the item for a lower price than they are willing to pay, always.

They complain about someone "stealing" the item from them "in the last seconds." The operative word being "stealing." Because, of course, THEY wanted to "steal" the item themselves. But they never mention that.

If a buyer bids the most they are willing to pay, at the time of their bid, they will never be angry if someone outbids them, no matter when, because that person wanted it more than they did. Disappointed that they didn't get what they want, but it was more than they were willing to pay, so no harm, no foul.

I recently bid $450+ for an item I realllly wanted. It sold for $103. I wanted it the most. It's not worth $450, but I wasn't about to cheap out and try and "get a deal."

Yay! Two cents from RMA! (Poster is not responsible for inflation eating up value; results vary.)

That's true...and it works great in a proxy bid situation.

On the boards, where proxy bids don't exist, if you bid $450...you pay $450.

There's no chance to win for $103.

Yes, just commenting on the general concept of sniping in proxy bid situations (like eBay and Heritage), and that just with the $450+/$103 example.

The rest applies to any auction format.

Yes, just commenting on the general concept of sniping in proxy bid situations (like eBay and Heritage.)

And I've done the same thing in those situations.

One piece of art I won $3,500 under my max bid. lol

It felt like a gift.

Even in the situation on the board, though, with no increments stated, then realistically, anybody could be outbid by any amount, even a cent. It just makes it imperative to either "bid the most you're willing to pay" (even down to the cent if necessary) at the time of whenever your last bid can reasonably be made, or wait until the last possible moment to bid.

If the listing ends at 9PM EDT, and you don't want to be sniped by a cent, it's imperative to bid at 8:59:52 (and this isn't impossible to do) or something close to that, and then you won't be outbid by that cent unless someone is equally dedicated to timing it as much as you.

Also...it makes it important to specify bid increments.

After all....mathematically, $500.00000000001 is more than $500.

Yes, there would be sturm und drang, and very few would be willing to risk the social backlash of such a move....but they wouldn't be wrong, no matter how tacky such a move would be.

Even in the situation on the board, though, with no increments stated, then realistically, anybody could be outbid by any amount, even a cent. It just makes it imperative to either "bid the most you're willing to pay" (even down to the cent if necessary) at the time of whenever your last bid can reasonably be made, or wait until the last possible moment to bid.

If the listing ends at 9PM EDT, and you don't want to be sniped by a cent, it's imperative to bid at 8:59:52 (and this isn't impossible to do) or something close to that, and then you won't be outbid by that cent unless someone is equally dedicated to timing it as much as you.

I agree, one of the benefits of the auction is that EVERYONE has the chance to put in their MAXIMUM bid. If you're nickel and diming hoping to get it for less, you run the risk of missing out. There's obviously some timing strategies, but if the rules are clear from the beginning, anything is fair game.

I agree, one of the benefits of the auction is that EVERYONE has the chance to put in their MAXIMUM bid. If you're nickel and diming hoping to get it for less, you run the risk of missing out. There's obviously some timing strategies, but if the rules are clear from the beginning, anything is fair game.

Yes. If you bid the most you're willing to pay, you can never go away and say "I would have paid more!" If you would, you didn't bid the max you were willing to pay.

Granted...absolutely granted...that the most you're willing to pay may change when other factors (ie, bidders) are introduced into the equation. But if that's the case, and there's nothing wrong with that, simply re-evaluate and bid again. If you've made the highest bid you're willing to pay, using all the information available to you at the time, you will very, very rarely leave an auction situation being angry because you "would have paid more."

The psychology behind auction behavior is immensely fascinating.

I have another issue

I sold this book

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=79&Number=8606620&Searchpage=1&Main=378670&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post8606620

however the buyer created a shill account

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8609255#Post8609255

what do you do in this situation? buyer contacted me today asking if the book was still available

Go through with the sale :shrug: He's not banned from the boards, on the PL or HoS. Not sure why he created a shill but eh.

I agree you should complete the sale. The member received a strike and was suspended. I assume that is intended to punish and teach a lesson, and then move on.

I have another issue

I sold this book

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=79&Number=8606620&Searchpage=1&Main=378670&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post8606620

however the buyer created a shill account

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8609255#Post8609255

what do you do in this situation? buyer contacted me today asking if the book was still available

Strange, why did he make a shill account?

I dont think I would feel comfortable dealing with someone with a shill account unless I knew why they had it or what they are trying to hide.