• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Yes I understand, it was a bit unusual in not having bid increments, but whatever the increments, there is going to be a last bid, and the highest wins, what does it matter what the increments are?

It doesn't and of course it doesn't matter how late the final highest bid comes in. As a proud sniper of 16+ years, I refuse to see anything ungentlemanly about it (sniping). Making a statement about increments perhaps put pressure on all subsequent bids to have a bit more than a $5 dollar increment.

I agreed with where Buzzetta was going with the question. With a book at this price point, it's annoying to potentially get sniped by $1 or whatever, and to have that bid thrown in at the last second with no way to top it. Ebay and the other auction houses automatically have higher bid increments at that level, but here it's more of an honor system unless the seller specifies.

Say there's a forum auction, and I have a bid of $500 that's been riding all day with no further bids.

If someone else bids $525 at the very last second, I'd think "oh well, wish I'd won the book, but at least my buddy [the seller] got more $ for it."

But if someone else bids $500.01 at the very last second, they've won it for essentially the same bid price I put in.

I agreed with where Buzzetta was going with the question. With a book at this price point, it's annoying to potentially get sniped by $1 or whatever, and to have that bid thrown in at the last second with no way to top it. Ebay and the other auction houses automatically have higher bid increments at that level, but here it's more of an honor system unless the seller specifies.

Say there's a forum auction, and I have a bid of $500 that's been riding all day with no further bids.

If someone else bids $525 at the very last second, I'd think "oh well, wish I'd won the book, but at least my buddy [the seller] got more $ for it."

But if someone else bids $500.01 at the very last second, they've won it for essentially the same bid price I put in.

Agreed

Sniping is all psychological

The “sniper” lives in the mind of the tortured bidder.

The tortured bidder had the earnest foresight to track the auction of their prized grail, to carefully plan the financing and nourish the thrill of anticipation, to believe that the world cannot be so unjust as to give it to someone unworthy.

Someone who just happened to log on within minutes or even seconds of the end of the auction

Someone who doesn’t even really care about that book

Someone who may not even care about comics or money

Someone who might like it only because those fat glossy cover colours match their décor

And who finally plans on using it as a coaster for their sticky can of Coke...

...In that moment of supreme horror, the sniper is born.

That was poetry, Crassus! While I was reading it I thought of this:

So what is the "being a gentlemen" increment? $10? $20?

A "gentleman" only bids in hundred dollar bill increments.

Absurd to be upset for longer than 35 seconds.

Why is it that everyone thinks that just because you have a sales thread, you are desperate to sale something and must be willing to take pennys?

Apparently you have never inquired about selling to a dealer lol

Why is it that everyone thinks that just because you have a sales thread, you are desperate to sale something and must be willing to take pennys?

I think it may be the "My Last Sales Thread" title that probably made some buyers think you were cashing out and ready to fire sale.

I think it may be the "My Last Sales Thread" title that probably made some buyers think you were cashing out and ready to fire sale.

Could be. I am keep a good chunk of my collection. Just selling some stuff off and will be very selective of what I but in the future. I know some of it is the current state of collecting we are going thru, seen it before will see it again.

Hate selling stuff and want this to be the last time I do sell anything off.

Edited by Shadow Images

Odd situation

:takeit: per pm.
^^

Sad to see this book go!

Not so fast. Buyer had gotten cold feet due to "advice" from other board members.

Book is back up for sale.

My apologies for dropping out. I deserve any heat I take on.

It's an amazing book.

281davo.gif

so I had a buyer on eBay hit a BIN last week (5/12) then got a message here (as well as eBay) requesting that the order be cancelled because I use the Global Shipping program and that they would purchase the item again with a US shipping address.

The buyer confirmed they would purchase the item and inquired about some more issues, I told him I'd check and let him know.

I was not able to get the issues and sent him my paypal info for the original issues he purchased on eBay.

I sent him the message on 5/18 which was read but not responded to. I sent a follow up message this morning asking if they were still going to buy the issues if not I would be relisting them on eBay.

The buyer read the message and did not respond again.

My question is

Can I relist the item or do I need to wait for an official response?

Odd situation

:takeit: per pm.
^^

Sad to see this book go!

Not so fast. Buyer had gotten cold feet due to "advice" from other board members.

Book is back up for sale.

My apologies for dropping out. I deserve any heat I take on.

It's an amazing book.

281davo.gif

A little odd yes...but man, so many whining people showing up saying "bad form" and "great book..I'd buy it but..."

So the guy bailed on a purchase. Let's all get together and cry about it? :cry:

Yeah right...no different than buying then returning the book in the specified time. Least he saved the seller some shipping fees.

Have you cancelled the original Ebay order?

Yes I cancelled it as soon as he requested it.

You've already done the buyer one favour, they owe you a prompt response. You warned them you would relist, it was read and they did not reply. IMO you are free to relist.