• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Congrats on the job.

However, those links detailing years of repeated issues on other sites and venues is very telling. Not isolated incidents. This is a pattern. You lost a lot of trust on these boards.

I'm wondering why nothing I've done on these boards as far as transactions has any merit in that "fact." A lot of boardies have bought from me on eBay as well.

None of those transactions have had any issues or are worth "losing trust" over. Also, I've used the donated funds for exactly what I said I would use them for. I'm wondering what the other sites have to do with anything right now. One of those was 15 years ago, I believe. I don't remember all three links but I know they were all years ago.

Am I not entitled to try and improve aspects of my life?

Edited by Chip Cataldo

If someone starts a vote I would have no issue voting yes for the HOS.

I'm still pretty pissed at you, but amazing how some things can find common ground.

It won't happen because he actually hasn't committed any rule breaking here. And those other site instances are more than a few years old.

Being civilized means sometimes having a wait and see approach.

I honestly don't think Chip is stupid.

Congrats on the job.

However, those links detailing years of repeated issues on other sites and venues is very telling. Not isolated incidents. This is a pattern. You lost a lot of trust on these boards.

I'm wondering why nothing I've done on these boards as far as transactions has any merit in that "fact." A lot of boardies have bought from me on eBay as well.

None of those transactions have had any issues or are worth "losing trust" over. Also, I've used the donated funds for exactly what I said I would use them for. I'm wondering what the other sites have to do with anything right now. One of those was 15 years ago, I believe. I don't remember all three links but I know they were all years ago.

It's a pattern. A 15+ year pattern. Taking the time to ship out items while going further in debt is something that builds trust?

Sorry Chip but I'm not buying it and frankly, I'm shocked you're actually here posting after you essentially lied about your "dire" situation in an attempt to fleece others.

You have a long history of theft and deception. It's written all over the wall and guess what, you continued that pattern as recently as a few days ago.

Question: did you ever repay those who you stole from? And if so, with interest?

How have you not learned a damn thing? You admit you're lazy and unmotivated. Guess what: that's the only thing I believe out of your mouth.

It's embarrassing that so many were quick to help you yet you flat out deceived them. Many good people here.

And while some may not like my attitude or my opinion on things, at least I'm honest. What are you??

You have zero credibility here or any of the other forums on the Internet. You've burned any bridge you had here and frankly, you should be austrocized.

HOS is probably about right. You need to hit rock bottom. You need to live out of your car or on the street to see what it's really like.

to say I'm mad is an understatement.

A zebra cannot change its stripes.

I'm still pretty pissed at you, but amazing how some things can find common ground.

It won't happen because he actually hasn't committed any rule breaking here. And those other site instances are more than a few years old.

You're pissed at me? lol

Someone in the other thread referred to my comments as "not gentle". I agree. I'm a straight shooter and see a pattern here with no intent to change.

Chip people are bringing up the old threads not because of failed transactions per se, but because of the excuses you used back then (having money troubles, having problems with family, problems with your girlfriend etc), which are similar to the issues you are bringing up today. Like you said, some of those threads are from 15 years ago. So the question is, why do you still have the same problems today? And will it change anything or will you still have those problems 15 years later on another thread.

Chip people are bringing up the old threads not because of failed transactions per se, but because of the excuses you used back then (having money troubles, having problems with family, problems with your girlfriend etc), which are similar to the issues you are bringing up today. Like you said, some of those threads are from 15 years ago. So the question is, why do you still have the same problems today? And will it change anything or will you still have those problems 15 years later on another thread.

Clearly the latter. 2c

You're pissed at me? lol

Someone in the other thread referred to my comments as "not gentle". I agree. I'm a straight shooter and see a pattern here with no intent to change.

I'm not pissed at you. You're my new best friend

You're pissed at me? lol

Sorry, I thought it was quite apparent that I didn't like you. Obviously you've forgotten, and I don't want to get into it.

You are a straight shooter, in regards of matters of these types. And, yes you aren't gentle. That is not my reason :)

I was agreeing with you, because if anyone cared to notice, I made the same conclusion last night, and I abandoned it because some others pointed out the facts to me as I just did.

I know I am not a dealer and just a collector and my posts can seem inane, but sometimes just brushing over them isn't good enough ;)

Congrats on the job.

Of course. I'm not suggesting otherwise. However, what I said is true. You have lost trust here. You have to earn that back. This is not an isolated incident. I have a different opinion of you after seeing those links and your repeated issues. Given this new information brought to light, if you screw up again, the boards will roast you alive. You made this bed, no one else.

Not to worry though, Cool Books prevails. A couple successful sales threads will get the rehab of your image well underway. For the sake of your daughter, if nothing else, I hope you succeed.

I remember getting up on Saturday mornings to work the breakfast line at McDonalds, leaving that to go work a landscaping job and then leaving that to work at the mall in the afternoons and the evenings.

At the same time I was doing "things" on the side to make money. Unholy things... bad things... things that I am ashamed of today to admit I was doing. What was this horrible thing I did? I made arrangements with a guy at Toys R Us and sold Power Rangers figures to desperate parents at Christmas time.

I did what it took...

Edited by Buzzetta

This. A thousand times this.

I remember getting up on Saturday mornings to work the breakfast line at McDonalds, leaving that to go work a landscaping job and then leaving that to work at the mall in the afternoons and the evenings.

At the same time I was doing "things" on the side to make money. Unholy things... bad things... things that I am ashamed of today to admit I was doing. What was this horrible thing I did? I made arrangements with a guy at Toys R Us and sold Power Rangers figures to desperate parents at Christmas time.

I did what it took...

So ... You did unholy things with power rangers action figures for money... Got it

Edited by Revat

I did what it took...

100%

I'd shovel mess to take care of my family. Luckily all my real life work experience means I don't have to.

Well, I've been talking about the Chinese 'Year Of The Monkey' for some time now, and this week is no exception. Picture a monkey being in control of everything. Picture a black and white comedy, where everyone is asleep and a monkey is driving the car. Everything is random and unexpected. :eek:

Not that I'm big on horoscopes, but I have found some commonalities with them. According to my Chinese horoscope (I'm Year Of The Dog), the Dog and the Monkey do not get along very well and although the year will be difficult to navigate, with work and lots of attention it should be OK. And that has been my experience all year. No matter how 'hands on' an approach I take in any situation, if something has an opportunity to fall sideways it will take the plunge. :cry:

These threads about Chip and his past are the new thing tipping sideways today.

As most of you know, I'm big on trying to see the bright side of someone's life no matter what their history, and I think most will agree that sometimes I'm this way to a fault. I was bullied as a kid (mostly for being a comic geek) and so now as an adult I get immediately defensive for an 'underdog' because I assume that they are being bullied. This sometimes prevents me from seeing things realistically. Sometimes that's a blessing and sometimes it can be a curse, although in the grand scheme of things I do believe everything works out for the best regardless, including negative things. That's my experience.

You guys may also know Chip has been selling stuff on consignment for many board members including me (some who have piped up in these threads although you may not know who they are, specifically).

After selling lots of items for me, I've never had a negative dealing with Chip so far. I don't know whether others have or not since he's been on this forum.

That's not to say that there is not a history previous to this forum and that there are issues at work that need to be considered. Everyone has a skeleton.

And so where I stand is that yesterday I sent a decent sized short box of books to Chip out of my personal collection to sell on consignment for me in an effort to help him out.

This also helps me out greatly because at the moment slabbed books are a bit of a grey area due to problems developing with CGC's new holder.

So what do I do upon learning about this new info about Chip's past?

I'm in a quandary because the books are out of my hands and en route.

Do I trust Chip with the books? There is a decent dollar amount there but I have never had an issue with Chip before.

Do I let the auctions ride knowing that because of today's unfolding events that many people may not bid, affecting auction prices of my own books?

Do I stop the shipment and redirect and find another venue to sell my books? I could have sold them on the forums myself. They're mostly all decent things that people will want. It would just take a little time.

Year Of The Monkey indeed. :tonofbricks:

Personally, I don't think I will have any problems with Chip selling the books for me. My gut tells me to just carry on as planned. I guess it's just me trying to help someone find 'the good' even though it might cost me something in the end.

Life doesn't always give us a 'best case' scenario. Sometimes, what's best for everyone is not always best for you personally. And so here we are.

Roy, my 2c on this? I think it was really nice of you to do that, but contact the shipper and redirect them back home to you. Not as an insult to Chip. Not because I think Chip is going to steal your books (which I don't) but because right now he does not need to be selling consignment for people. Chip has been doing this and it isn't working. Getting another box of consignment will only distract him further from putting things together (as he has previously said, he can be lazy and doesn't have the drive to work "a real job"). Chip just started a new job, that's great. He needs to give 110% of his time and attention to doing everything he can to achieve there, as well as spending time sorting out his personal issues, getting his finances on track (and cutting down on expenses). Processing your consignment, scanning the books, listing them etc is all time that could be used elsewhere to help him in the long term instead of the short term return of maybe selling a couple books and getting a couple bucks from a consignment.