• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Well generally strikes are handed out the next day, so he may get a strike tomorrow.

Whelp I was wrong. Apparently he is the new Teflon Man, free to do as he likes.

teflonman.jpg

Hello everyone,

All the other threads were locked so I'm responding here.

First off I'd like to address the Google links that were thrown up about my time on previous forums. Yes, I've had some issues in the past. However, if you would kindly look here :

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5525613#Post5525613

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=chips-comics&ftab=AllFeedback

...you would see that I don't have those issues anymore and complete transactions to satisfaction. I'm not 100% perfect, but no one is...especially with a large sample size. Those other situations were years ago and I take a lot more care & give a lot more attention when selling online. I don't believe I've ever had even a small issue when selling on this forum.

Secondly I'd like to admit that I made a huge mistake in not analyzing and correcting my goal once I decided to remove the Paypal loan repayment from my plan. I took the advice of a few that said it's not really something I should be asking for and I should only ask for help with my living expenses and related things. I just left the amount as-is because I didn't yet have a job and was worried about my bills continuing to pile up. Hiring movers should definitely not have been included but I wasn't thinking about just leaving things behind and taking a monetary loss. I didn't want to take any kind of loss...I was trying to gain ground, not lose it. I'm guilty of not taking the amount as seriously as I should and naively thought that it wouldn't be an issue. I honestly didn't even think I'd come anywhere close to even a third of that so I am guilty of not paying it the attention I should. I was wrong and should have made it a more accurate number before going public.

If anyone wants to know exactly what areas I've spent the actual donations on I'm going to list them here. I don't think I've forgotten anything. However, I have sold some items of my own on the forum while the fundraiser was going on so the numbers might not match up 100%...nearly all of it is here. I also received donations from friends on Facebook & sold some things locally so not all the money raised for these bills came from this forum. All of it was to make overdue things as current as possible and I didn't have enough left for a security deposit/1st month rent at a new & cheaper place.

Monthly rent - $2,940 (2 months)

Car payment - $577.20 (3 months)

Utilities (heat/electric) - $298.39 (3 months)

Phone - $210.66 (2 months)

For those that still care I do have some good news on the 2nd interview I had the other day. I got the job and started training yesterday. I'm happy about it because it wasn't a job I expected to land (with 3 weeks between interviews). It's paid training so while I do have to wait a few weeks to see money coming in I will eventually have positive cash flow and am making it a priority to get into a cheaper home as soon as possible.

I know I'm probably forgetting to address something so I'm sorry for that but it's early and I haven't slept much due to the usual nerves about the new job.

I want to thank everyone for their help & good advice and once again apologize for the way I handled the situation. I obviously wasn't thinking it through clearly when I started this entire thing, you (all) were right to ask questions and it got very much out of hand with every subsequent thing I said.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Regards,

Chip

hm

Do you think he was completely transparent, clear, above board, and was fully honest about his situation, the amount of money he wanted, where it was going, and why?

I don't but then I also am not sure if he meant to deceive or just doesn't know how to manage money. Desperation is blinding and maturity is a progression.

But what I am talking about is has he taken someone's money without shipping an item or promised something and not given it?

Because that is what I thought we were initially talking about when people talked about his past toy dealings and his status on this forum.

I think it's a larger pattern being referred to beyond simple items and shipping and money.

I don't wish anything negative on anyone, but I find it ironic that some of the people clamoring the loudest against Chip have their own personal issues regarding getting along on this chat forum.

Is everyone so self righteous that they can just talk about someone like they are a soulless entity. A void? A 2 dimensional cartoon character?

The analogies are unsound if used as direct correlations.

A person is not a frog or a scorpion or a snake.

If they are, which animals are the ones who are pointing fingers?

Gang, we are talking about people, not amphibians or reptiles.

If snakes can't help their nature and zebras can't change their stripes, why do we have a justice system that allows people to restart and rebuild?

Roy, I get that you have a soft spot for the guy, but I think posts like this are part of the problem. I don't know Chip personally, but I suspect in private conversation he comes off like a decent fellow. And because of that, he probably doesn't have the luxury of having someone in his life that cares enough to call him out on his wildly_fanciful_statement.

Personally, while I don't have an ax to grind with Chip, I find the stuff he posts here pretty deplorable. Admitting to taking advantage of people to make an extra buck, blaming genetics for his lack of motivation, chalking up his Brobdingnagian financial debt to bad luck or poor circumstance... It's just mess, man. Pure, unbridled, corn-riddled mess.

To come here and ask for help, when it seems like he's made zero effort to help himself, is pretty dirty. To ask for $12k more than he actually needs, without letting anyone know the reasons why, is borderline fraud.

Go look at those links I posted, and you'll find a few posts like yours. "Let's hear him out guys." "There's two sides to every story." "You guys are being cruel."

Yuck. Years later, and here we are again.

You want to help Chip out? Don't keep handing him money with one hand while you cup his balls in the other. Give him the knowledge he needs to improve his life. Maybe help him find a continuing education program or a trade school so he can learn some marketable skills. Maybe take him under your wing and teach him some trade secrets on how to become a BSD comic dealer, if that's what he really wants to do.

But please, let's stop making Chip out to be a victim here. He does a fine job of that without any help.

I don't wish anything negative on anyone, but I find it ironic that some of the people clamoring the loudest against Chip have their own personal issues regarding getting along on this chat forum.

By the way, this is a pretty insulting thing to say. What does "getting along" have to do with asking people for money and not being willing to be accountable for where that money is going?

It's a piece of cake to "get along" with everyone: tell them what they want to hear. You do that, and you'll have no end of friends. You'll get along with everyone. Say the right things, do the right things, never say anything to anyone that might possibly offend them, never disagree with anyone, enthusiastically agree with everyone, etc.

You will also be lying to everyone and yourself.

Many, many people choose this route, obviously.

You see "put down the words and do what you need to do, Chip" and see "clamoring against." Your perspective is wrong. Those saying that couldn't be more FOR Chip, because that is precisely what will save Chip in his situation.

"Faithful are the wounds of a friend..."

I was speaking about some of the more abrasive personalities but I didn't specify that.

I don't consider you abrasive, so it had nothing to do with you. :):foryou:

Personally, I think there is a lot of good advice in this thread (and others) for Chip to use but unlike reading a book where that advice can be understood and assimilated in an easy manner where the reader may not be defensive, it's fragmented and colored with many different personalities on here.

Another thing to address is that Chip has himself revealed several times that he is depressed.

I'm not sure a public chat forum is the way to address all of this stuff.

Now that every angle has been probably covered in all of this, I'm sure if that if someone wanted to reach out privately and invest some time to help Chip that it would be more appreciated than just posts on a chat forum.

With that, I'm out. :)

There's this little thing called Karma that sorts all this out eventually.

Funny thing is, that same sentiment was already expressed on another forum...back in 2009. Yet, here we are. :popcorn:

So Chip,Karma will catch up with you.

@ comix4fun and JAM_NYC

Don't disagree with either of you but everyone does things differently.

And like I said, I'm out of the discussion. :foryou:

Well generally strikes are handed out the next day, so he may get a strike tomorrow.

Whelp I was wrong. Apparently he is the new Teflon Man, free to do as he likes.

teflonman.jpg

I blame fatherless mods and a materialistic nation of wimps. I've already begun to plant my survival seeds in preparation of the inevitable gubbamint takeover.

You want to help Chip out? Don't keep handing him money with one hand while you cup his balls in the other.

Pretty sure it was Roy who told him not to make selling comics his bread and butter in a thread ages ago.

@ comix4fun and JAM_NYC

Don't disagree with either of you but everyone does things differently.

And like I said, I'm out of the discussion. :foryou:

Aww man...I was gonna do another animal analogy for you..

The "if it walks like a duck...." one.

Dammit :sorry:

You want to help Chip out? Don't keep handing him money with one hand while you cup his balls in the other.

Pretty sure it was Roy who told him not to make selling comics his bread and butter in a thread ages ago.

Glad he followed that advice, showing his progressing maturity and ability to change and grow from kind and gentle mentoring.

Glad he followed that advice, showing his progressing maturity and ability to change and grow from kind and gentle mentoring.

Yup.

Personally, while I don't have an ax to grind with Chip, I find the stuff he posts here pretty deplorable. Admitting to taking advantage of people to make an extra buck, blaming genetics for his lack of motivation, chalking up his Brobdingnagian financial debt to bad luck or poor circumstance... It's just mess, man. Pure, unbridled, corn-riddled mess.

Don't forget about his rampant mysogyny (thumbs u

I must've missed that. But then why keep sending him more books to sell? hm

Your guess is as good as mine. (shrug)

Something about a Dog in the Monkey house reaching the third moon of Capricorn over the Masonic Temple in Jonestown....made him do it.