• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I don't wish anything negative on anyone, but I find it ironic that some of the people clamoring the loudest against Chip have their own personal issues regarding getting along on this chat forum.

Is everyone so self righteous that they can just talk about someone like they are a soulless entity. A void? A 2 dimensional cartoon character?

The analogies are unsound if used as direct correlations.

A person is not a frog or a scorpion or a snake.

If they are, which animals are the ones who are pointing fingers?

Gang, we are talking about people, not amphibians or reptiles.

If snakes can't help their nature and zebras can't change their stripes, why do we have a justice system that allows people to restart and rebuild?

Monkeys, snakes, roosters, frogs, scorpions....

What the heck is going on in here. :sumo:

Anime.

I don't wish anything negative on anyone, but I find it ironic that some of the people clamoring the loudest against Chip have their own personal issues regarding getting along on this chat forum.

Is everyone so self righteous that they can just talk about someone like they are a soulless entity. A void? A 2 dimensional cartoon character?

If snakes can't help their nature and zebras can't change their stripes, why do we have a justice system that allows people to restart and rebuild?

Interesting you should say this - I had this to say elsewhere:

I said this to someone else, but one of the reasons I donated is because I felt like I had such a two-dimensional concept of who Chip was merely from reading his comments over the years (and from reading the many, many comments of others) - I felt like perhaps I'd dehumanized him a bit by putting him in a box.

I decided to take it at face value, maybe this is a guy that is about to lose everything and end up homeless - I don't wish that on anyone, thus the small donation :shrug:

Congrats on the job.

However, those links detailing years of repeated issues on other sites and venues is very telling. Not isolated incidents. This is a pattern. You lost a lot of trust on these boards.

I'm wondering why nothing I've done on these boards as far as transactions has any merit in that "fact." A lot of boardies have bought from me on eBay as well.

None of those transactions have had any issues or are worth "losing trust" over. Also, I've used the donated funds for exactly what I said I would use them for. I'm wondering what the other sites have to do with anything right now. One of those was 15 years ago, I believe. I don't remember all three links but I know they were all years ago.

Am I not entitled to try and improve aspects of my life?

Words mean nothing. Your job now is to prove your words with your actions. If you mean what you say, you'll do what you need to do.

The lessons are to show that wisdom is demonstrated in taking note of what people have revealed themselves to be instead of hoping they are something they've never been.

It's not that people can't change, it's that words are cheap, and should never take the place of experience and perception.

And we've both been in comics long enough to know that people can be, and regularly are, reptiles.

Words mean nothing. Your job now is to prove your words with your actions. If you mean what you say, you'll do what you need to do.

He's been here for 4.5 years and as far as I know hasn't ripped anyone off, has he? That's not me making excuse for his past, but at what point does a person start to get benefit of the doubt again?

I know some people don't like his style of posting, but hey that's most of the chat forum for some people.

Has Chip done anything fraudulent to anyone here since he's arrived?

Money management is not a genetic trait and if their parents don't teach it, many are not taught it until they fall a few times. That was the case for me.

It's not that people can't change, it's that words are cheap, and should never take the place of experience and perception.

See my post to RMA above. :)

And we've both been in comics long enough to know that people can be, and regularly are, reptiles.

lol

Some truth to that!

You have zero credibility here or any of the other forums on the Internet. You've burned any bridge you had here and frankly, you should be austrocized ostracized.

A zebra cannot change its stripes.

I don't think making him Austrian would be any help at all.

Ok, that was pretty funny. ;)

He's been here for 4.5 years and as far as I know hasn't ripped anyone off, has he? That's not me making excuse for his past, but at what point does a person start to get benefit of the doubt again?

I know some people don't like his style of posting, but hey that's most of the chat forum for some people.

Money management is not a genetic trait and if their parents don't teach it, many are not taught it until they fall a few times. That was the case for me.

He made it look easy to find gold on Craigslist so I wasted a bunch of hours looking and I blame it on Chip. Theft of my time is his charge.

Do you think he was completely transparent, clear, above board, and was fully honest about his situation, the amount of money he wanted, where it was going, and why?

57881904.jpg

Maybe in the land of Poutine and Monopoly Money, but our justice system in the states is a bit different.

Congrats on the job, Chip.

But I don't want to just leave it with a quick :applause: and call it case closed. You have obviously dealt with similar issues in the past and burned bridges while cheating people out of money. And you once again find yourself in this self-made predicament of financial peril and have played the "victim card." This isn't something that happened over night; you were making comments about being lazy and lacking any motivation years back. You can't be surprised of where you ended up both financially and relationship wise. And short term donation and bail out is just a bandaid on the situation. I agree with what Branget and others have said: hitting rock bottom might have actually been a good thing long term for you. It looks like that's not going to happen though because people here have illustrated that they care about you. Don't return that kindness with a slap to their faces by just sweeping this under the rug and moving on. Chip, you need to see a therapist as there is obviously a deeper issue at play. Im not saying that to be a , but it's easy to see. Otherwise, if you don't hit rock bottom where you're forced to deal with things or don't voluntarily address the deeper rooted issues, you're never going to get ahead in life and will just experience similar issues in the future.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Great post by Harvey.

Congrats on the job Chip. I was amazed by the CGC forum community for helping a cgc member out. Best of luck .

Congrats on the job.

However, those links detailing years of repeated issues on other sites and venues is very telling. Not isolated incidents. This is a pattern. You lost a lot of trust on these boards.

I'm wondering why nothing I've done on these boards as far as transactions has any merit in that "fact." A lot of boardies have bought from me on eBay as well.

None of those transactions have had any issues or are worth "losing trust" over. Also, I've used the donated funds for exactly what I said I would use them for. I'm wondering what the other sites have to do with anything right now. One of those was 15 years ago, I believe. I don't remember all three links but I know they were all years ago.

Am I not entitled to try and improve aspects of my life?

Truer words

Chip very clearly is not willing to do what it takes to get out of whatever situation he is in, and ought to be encouraged to do that, not be comforted in his discomfort. It is that very discomfort which will rescue him, not being comforted.

Since when is "not ripping people off" the benchmark for success? Are standards that low? Has Chip done anything fraudulent since coming here? One might say that not being forthcoming about where money was going, while continuing to ask for it is awfffful close to that line.

My parents didn't teach me money management. I got into horrible trouble in the 90's with credit, and all of it was my fault, not theirs. The result? I stopped using credit in 1999 for anything. If I didn't have the money, I didn't make the purchase.

If one enables people to continue making bad choices, those people will continue to make bad choices. That's pure hatred, disguised as "love and caring." In the end, it is destruction and tragedy.

:(

Do you think he was completely transparent, clear, above board, and was fully honest about his situation, the amount of money he wanted, where it was going, and why?

I don't but then I also am not sure if he meant to deceive or just doesn't know how to manage money. Desperation is blinding and maturity is a progression.

But what I am talking about is has he taken someone's money without shipping an item or promised something and not given it?

Because that is what I thought we were initially talking about when people talked about his past toy dealings and his status on this forum.

There's this little thing called Karma that sorts all this out eventually.

lol

Most people's idea of Karma is that they'll take matters into their own hands.

Karma only works if you allow it to work, meaning you just walk away. That's the beauty of it. It doesn't need anyone's help.

And guys, I'm not going to tell anyone how to feel about Chip or how to deal with him.

What is important is that he is human as we all are and we all live and die by our own personal choices.

So just make those choices.

By the way, this is a pretty insulting thing to say. What does "getting along" have to do with asking people for money and not being willing to be accountable for where that money is going?

It's a piece of cake to "get along" with everyone: tell them what they want to hear. You do that, and you'll have no end of friends. You'll get along with everyone. Say the right things, do the right things, never say anything to anyone that might possibly offend them, never disagree with anyone, enthusiastically agree with everyone, etc.

You will also be lying to everyone and yourself.

Many, many people choose this route, obviously.

You see "put down the words and do what you need to do, Chip" and see "clamoring against." Your perspective is wrong. Those saying that couldn't be more FOR Chip, because that is precisely what will save Chip in his situation.

"Faithful are the wounds of a friend..."