• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I just got home from the hospital and thought I'd give an update for those of you that care.

I called the suicide hotline when it was posted here in the thread after I made my initial comments Thursday evening. About 20 minutes into that phone call the counselor from the local police department called me so I told the suicide line I'd rather speak with my local office (the woman on the hotline was terrible, BTW...seemed very disinterested in what I had to say). The local woman was very positive and about 10 minutes into that conversation the door knocked and she told me that it was an officer.

I hung up with her and spoke to the officer for about 5 minutes. I guess I seemed like I was in really bad shape because he quickly motioned for the EMS guys who I didn't even notice were by my driveway with the ambulance. They took me to the hospital right away.

When I got to the emergency room the security officer there took all my stuff...wallet, keys, cell phone and clothes. I was given scrubs and sat in a small room for a little while. A doctor came in and examined me and asked me some questions. Two nurses showed up to take blood and urine samples. Then after another few hours a "Hospitalist" come in and asked more psyche-related questions, talked with me for about an hour and gave me a few exams. I was taken to my own room in the psyche ward about 3:30am.

The next morning (yesterday) when I woke up I noticed that the room had nothing in it save for my bed, the door was open and a security guard was stationed right outside. That's was the environment for the rest of the weekend. I wasn't allowed my phone, a TV or even a magazine. I had to wait all day until about 8pm last night to see the psychiatrist as he doesn't work in the hospital. He consults from a private practice. He spent about an hour with me and prescribed medications for bi-polar disease. He stated it was pretty obvious from what I was describing as to what was going on and what I history was. He prescribed me medication that I'd not tried yet. I listed all the medications I'd been on in the past that hadn't worked.

I had two women show up that offered free counseling and care with a local office as well as free prescription medication and I'm getting a referral call-back Monday or Tuesday to go into counseling. I just arrived home from getting discharged and am going to have my prescriptions filled for my two medications now. The psychiatrist and medical doctor both said that I should see definitive results regularly within 4-6 weeks but could see some reaction within the first week as my mind gets acclimated to the medication.

Hopefully this is a start on a somewhat full recovery for me from where I've been mentally and emotionally. I appreciate all the advice posted in this thread. I'll be taking the time to re-read it all in-depth this evening once I'm resting. I realize there's a lot of good information here, especially about the jobs available to me.

Thank you to everyone that expressed concern for my well-being. That means a lot to me even though I've never met any of you.

Regards,

Chip

Glad that you are receiving help. Please stay on the meds unless your doctor takes you off of them. I wish you nothing but the best.

Hi everyone. I just got home from the hospital and thought I'd give an update for those of you that care.

I called the suicide hotline when it was posted here in the thread after I made my initial comments Thursday evening. About 20 minutes into that phone call the counselor from the local police department called me so I told the suicide line I'd rather speak with my local office (the woman on the hotline was terrible, BTW...seemed very disinterested in what I had to say). The local woman was very positive and about 10 minutes into that conversation the door knocked and she told me that it was an officer.

I hung up with her and spoke to the officer for about 5 minutes. I guess I seemed like I was in really bad shape because he quickly motioned for the EMS guys who I didn't even notice were by my driveway with the ambulance. They took me to the hospital right away.

When I got to the emergency room the security officer there took all my stuff...wallet, keys, cell phone and clothes. I was given scrubs and sat in a small room for a little while. A doctor came in and examined me and asked me some questions. Two nurses showed up to take blood and urine samples. Then after another few hours a "Hospitalist" come in and asked more psyche-related questions, talked with me for about an hour and gave me a few exams. I was taken to my own room in the psyche ward about 3:30am.

The next morning (yesterday) when I woke up I noticed that the room had nothing in it save for my bed, the door was open and a security guard was stationed right outside. That's was the environment for the rest of the weekend. I wasn't allowed my phone, a TV or even a magazine. I had to wait all day until about 8pm last night to see the psychiatrist as he doesn't work in the hospital. He consults from a private practice. He spent about an hour with me and prescribed medications for bi-polar disease. He stated it was pretty obvious from what I was describing as to what was going on and what I history was. He prescribed me medication that I'd not tried yet. I listed all the medications I'd been on in the past that hadn't worked.

I had two women show up that offered free counseling and care with a local office as well as free prescription medication and I'm getting a referral call-back Monday or Tuesday to go into counseling. I just arrived home from getting discharged and am going to have my prescriptions filled for my two medications now. The psychiatrist and medical doctor both said that I should see definitive results regularly within 4-6 weeks but could see some reaction within the first week as my mind gets acclimated to the medication.

Hopefully this is a start on a somewhat full recovery for me from where I've been mentally and emotionally. I appreciate all the advice posted in this thread. I'll be taking the time to re-read it all in-depth this evening once I'm resting. I realize there's a lot of good information here, especially about the jobs available to me.

Thank you to everyone that expressed concern for my well-being. That means a lot to me even though I've never met any of you.

Regards,

Chip

Glad that you are receiving help. Please stay on the meds unless your doctor takes you off of them. I wish you nothing but the best.

+1

Stay on the meds, even if you don't feel/see any effects as quickly as you would like.

Regards,

Chip

Chip, wishing you well. Regading any monies I contributed to your fund, please have a meal and beverage on me in the hopes it will pick up your spirits.

Regards,

Chip

Good luck Chip! I have no advice to give, I just wish you luck on moving forward in your health and in your life.

Regards,

Chip

Your post actually had me in tears. Welcome to the 1st day of the rest of your life. :)

Whether we admit it or not, we all suffer from varying levels of mental illness. Bad tempers, aggression, passive aggression, vices, voices, wants, perceived needs, substance abuse. It really is just about managing ourselves and knowing our boundaries. It can be mild to the point where most people don't notice, or socially accepted (OCD collectors if you know what I mean lol ) or harmful to those around you, but we all have our own things to deal with.

When kids walk too close to a ledge you warn them. Because adults are 'supposed to know' how close they are to the ledges in their lives, we often criticize them in a negative way - because they are 'supposed to know' when they are too close to life's edges but in reality there is a portion of us out there who don't realize how close we are to those ledges until it's almost too late. And that is where community comes in. Sometimes others see things we don't and listening to them is the difference. And believe me, I know it can be tough facing the truth, facing your self and making life changes but as someone really smart once said, a 1000 mile journey begins with the first step.

It's how we make relationships work, it's how we make life work.

Glad you're back online. (thumbs u

Hey Chip, I know there's a lot of comments and criticisms and general monkeying around but I hope you can turn your life around, I don't think you're a bad person. Clearly what you've been doing hasn't worked so make some changes.

Cut costs, find a job that could lead somewhere, make some local friends, continue to pursue hobby's that you love. And I agree with CopperAge, a laborer's job will get you some exercise, fresh air, decent pay and perhaps a future.

For those of you who care (and I don't want this to be seen as me pimping my books but the reality is that I do need to sell some books to make a living), I have decided to auction my books through Chip. I could have easily forwarded them to Heritage or MyComicShop for consignment auctions but I think it's beneficial to both of us in several ways - the most obvious being that mutually it helps us both.

The reason I am posting this here is that I realize that some may have concerns about bidding, but the reality is that me and another consignor of Chip's (a very well established, long time board member) have discussed this recently and we have absolutely no problem continuing to stay the course with Chip.

If anyone has any reservations about bidding, rest assured that I will stand behind every sale personally from beginning to end and also personally attend to any concerns should they arise. I don't anticipate any but wanted to throw that out there so we are on the same page.

If anyone else wants to know my some of my deeper reasoning feel free to contact me. I'd be happy to answer.

a laborer's job will get you some exercise, fresh air, decent pay and perhaps a future.

I can't say enough about this.

For me there was no option. I was a mechanic for over 2 decades and every day was an awesome work out. It helped me psychologically and physically and I slept like a baby at night.

Plus there is something satisfying about knowing how things work and fixing things.

Being a comic book dealer really hampered this for me and I needed to fit in sports and learning to replace my daily (both mentally and physically) workouts that I used to have at my job.

For those of you who care (and I don't want this to be seen as me pimping my books but the reality is that I do need to sell some books to make a living), I have decided to auction my books through Chip. I could have easily forwarded them to Heritage or MyComicShop for consignment auctions but I think it's beneficial to both of us in several ways - the most obvious being that mutually it helps us both.

The reason I am posting this here is that I realize that some may have concerns about bidding, but the reality is that me and another consignor of Chip's (a very well established, long time board member) have discussed this recently and we have absolutely no problem continuing to stay the course with Chip.

If anyone has any reservations about bidding, rest assured that I will stand behind every sale personally from beginning to end and also personally attend to any concerns should they arise. I don't anticipate any but wanted to throw that out there so we are on the same page.

If anyone else wants to know my some of my deeper reasoning feel free to contact me. I'd be happy to answer.

Roy,

I commend you for sticking through and I think your and Chip's integrity will stay in tact. Hope you do awesome sales! I'd totally do business, but I can't afford to lol

James

BTW, Roy, I expect a chinese horoscope reading for me… :D

Roosters are pretty tough little buggers so I expect you'll do OK should you meet up with a monkey. :D

And what about the rat? :taptaptap:

Roy,

I commend you for sticking through and I think your and Chip's integrity will stay in tact. Hope you do awesome sales! I'd totally do business, but I can't afford to lol

James

Dude, you and me are so cut from the same cloth in so many ways. lol

I just have a nicer board persona. :preach:

@ KPR - We'll get links up on the chat forum when they're ready to go. (thumbs u

BTW, Roy, I expect a chinese horoscope reading for me… :D

Roosters are pretty tough little buggers so I expect you'll do OK should you meet up with a monkey. :D

And what about the rat? :taptaptap:

I think the Monkey would pick up and have his way with you. lol

Louise is year of the Rat as well. :D

Roy,

James

Dude, you and me are so cut from the same cloth in so many ways. lol

I just have a nicer board persona. :preach:

@ KPR - We'll get links up on the chat forum when they're ready to go. (thumbs u

I've still got 80k posts to prove I am not a total ;)