• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Nothing against anyone here, just a mental thing for myself, but when you have "design" in your username, that sends a flag for me.

My cousin is a graphic designer, an amazing one. Just the stuff she's shared with me on her job makes me wary of anyone in the hobby spouting that title.

Again, not stating anything other than how I see things. No offense meant to anyone.

Nothing against anyone here, just a mental thing for myself, but when you have "design" in your username, that sends a flag for me.

My cousin is a graphic designer, an amazing one. Just the stuff she's shared with me on her job makes me wary of anyone in the hobby spouting that title.

Again, not stating anything other than how I see things. No offense meant to anyone.

I was going to change my name to Designing Women, because I loved that show. But now you've talked me out of it. :sorry:

Does this also apply to people with "Giant Dong" or "Superior Scrotum" in their username?

Does this also apply to people with "Giant Dong" or "Superior Scrotum" in their username?

TaintDesign69

My new screen name

TaintDesign69

My new screen name

Try to fit any certs you may have in there as well.

TaintDesign69

My new screen name

I support this move (thumbs u

I am a graphic designer. Only thing, in italy we do not use the word "design" (disegno) in this field, so I am "un grafico". I guess I am safe.

I wonder what "igordesign" would mean. That he designs igor? lol

Anyways. Context is everything...

Apparently I am just a natural force of insult. If it's a gift, or talent, it's one I could do without lol

The question you raised is interesting, not because of the joke, but because we have the word "design" ("disegno") in every field, except the graphic field.

In matters of law ("disegno di legge"), in architecture, meaning a plan ("un disegno"), in furniture and objects design ("disegno industriale") etc…

"Grafica" used to mean painting or "fine art", but since "design" was adopted around the 1960s as a calc from english I realized that we never used "disegno" as in "disegno grafico", and that’s very interesting – and revealing – about the fact that the book's conception (and printing matters) were incorporated in the modern logic of "design" but they were with us since Gutemberg.

Etimologically graphics have not much to do with design, aside from the book's (or the page) overall "lay out".

What did you use in english when they "designed" books in the 16th century? Was the word already there to mean "progettare" (because that’s how "design" would translate in italian, but not the other way around…)

I wonder what "igordesign" would mean. That he designs igor? lol

I think he's a bull that takes great pride in the fact that he gored the world famous bullfighter Esign.

6b900c6f2253f380d27aea1fc66e5af2.jpg

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9397905&gonew=1#UNREAD

Buyers beware

Seller sold me restored books in the past and would not take any responsibility. No returns and prior history are red flags.

Just an FYI

Remind me again why stuff like this is not PL worthy?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9397905&gonew=1#UNREAD

Buyers beware

Seller sold me restored books in the past and would not take any responsibility. No returns and prior history are red flags.

Just an FYI

That would be my question also. Maybe nobody nominated him yet?

Edited by CatskillMike

Buyers beware

Just an FYI

That would be my question also. Maybe nobody nominated him yet?

Because not everyone can detect restoration reliably :shrug:

A good seller would, of course, take returns in a case like this, but if the seller specifies "no returns" I'd say it's up to the buyer to decide for themselves whether they want to take the risk or not.

I personally don't buy from people who don't stand by what they sell - if your tolerance for risk is higher, great, but at some point there needs to be responsibility on the buyer side as well.