• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Okay, like I said, it's difficult to ascertain all this after the fact. However, to my point of the good old boys club..... Look at Racer-x's recent tactics when he was acquiring a GA collection.

- He started a thread showing off a recently acquired OO collection. Turns out he didn't even have the books yet, just pimping them. I commented about this in the thread and he basically told me he's a made man here and I could leave.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9587107&fpart=1

- He started new threads showing off group shots of the collection by genre.

- He started a thread asking how he should sell the books.

Anyway, I'm not here to call Racer-X out, just saying his tactics seem to be okay with everyone. I really don't know what's legit around here anymore but it's all good.

I'm with you on this one. Those rules gave me a headache on page 6.

his tactics seem to be okay with everyone. I really don't know what's legit around here anymore but it's all good.

Racer-X's tactics you describe are not OK with me...they are very annoying (as far as board-related annoyances go). I directly called him out in one of his early pimping threads in Gold. After that, when it was obviously becoming habitual (and not just a one-time oops), I button humped another one of those threads.

The mods seemingly ignored my notification. :D

Thank you for validating my point. So fellow Boardies, why is Racer-X's tactics acceptable to you ? He pimps at a collection level, Batman13 was only one or two books.

Did someone actually do this; charge 10% extra for a picture????

I am not sure if I am supposed to laugh :roflmao: or if this is seriously what someone did doh!

Please enlighten me.

I know I did see someone with a thread once who was selling books that he said were coming back from CGC and you could buy them now (sight unseen) or pay more once they were in hand.

Yes, and I believe he continues to do this. Your reference to the thread you saw is probably a match. Books not in hand, buy them now or pay 10% more once in hand with pic. Again, another Board good ol' boy and it's okay with everyone.

while I agree this is dumb, and probably makes customers angry rather than eager to buy, and is not dishonest, 'dumb' is not a violation or abuse of the board rules.

his tactics seem to be okay with everyone. I really don't know what's legit around here anymore but it's all good.

Racer-X's tactics you describe are not OK with me...they are very annoying (as far as board-related annoyances go). I directly called him out in one of his early pimping threads in Gold. After that, when it was obviously becoming habitual (and not just a one-time oops), I button humped another one of those threads.

Thank you for validating my point. So fellow Boardies, why is Racer-X's tactics acceptable to you ? He pimps at a collection level, Batman13 was only one or two books.

Its not. PM the mods and ask them why they didn't nuke his pimp thread.

Okay, like I said, it's difficult to ascertain all this after the fact. However, to my point of the good old boys club..... Look at Racer-x's recent tactics when he was acquiring a GA collection.

- He started a thread showing off a recently acquired OO collection. Turns out he didn't even have the books yet, just pimping them. I commented about this in the thread and he basically told me he's a made man here and I could leave.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9587107&fpart=1

- He started new threads showing off group shots of the collection by genre.

- He started a thread asking how he should sell the books.

Anyway, I'm not here to call Racer-X out, just saying his tactics seem to be okay with everyone. I really don't know what's legit around here anymore but it's all good.

I grew up in Da Bronx, I hope "Made man" does not mean the same thing here as it did there;)?

I said he was a made man HERE, as on the Boards. When I questioned him about pimping books before they were even purchased here was his response.....

Do some research and check me out. Or bow out.

Ask Vintage Roy, Filter or the Metro guys about me.

his procedure wasnt normal, nor do a lot of people do it (cause if they did this forum would be an annoying mess of a place).

in the end if he had just listed the book and the price he would have been fine.

He instead did a little bit of everything we work to avoid in the sales threads (so that we dont become like facebook or craigslist).

Agreeing with you on the above but how is this set of selling conditions by Racer-X considered 'normal' ?

1. I post FC and BC scans of books in an order I choose (not sure what that will be yet, and may change on the fly)

2. Each post will contain my estimated grade, any notable blemishes not obvious from the scans, and a RESERVE PRICE (note: not a purchase price)

3. Boardies have 48 hours from time of post to IM me with offers (there is no limit to the number of offers a boardie can make via PM)

4. I will not relay ANYTHING about one boardie’s offer to any other boardie

5. I will not give ANY clue to one boardie about what other offers may be (not “another offer is $10 higher,” or “you’re the second highest,” or “5 other people made offers”…nothing at all…all offers will be totally blind)

6. After exactly 48 hours, I MUST accept the highest offer that is at or over the reserve price

7. I may accept an offer under the reserve, but I am not mandated to do so

8. If no deal is made, I may do with that book whatever I wish (which may include re-posting it here, posting it on ebay, giving it to my children, adding it to my bathroom magazine stack, etc.)

9. Upon accepting an offer, I will post the purchase price and the boardie’s ID (so as to allay any suspicion that sales are being made outside of the board)

10. The buyer has exactly 48 hours to transfer money into my paypal account (ONLY paypal will be accepted as payment)

11. If I do not receive payment within 2 days of the deal, I may cancel the transaction at will

12. After payment is recevied, I then have up to 3 days to ship the book(s) out

13. All books will be bagged and boarded

14. Shipping: books purchased at $50 or under will be sandwiched between cardboard slabs and shipped in a parcel post padded envelope for an additional charge of $5.

14. Shipping: books purchased at $50 or over will be shipped in a USPS priority mail box for an additional charge of $10

15. I will combine up to 3 books at the same shipping price

16. Buyer has up to three days from receipt of book(s) to ask for a FULL REFUND return, no questions asked

17. Buyer must pay return shipping

18. Given book(s) is/are returned in same condition as they were to begin with, I have up to 24 hours from receipt of returned book(s) to refund the purchase price.

Did someone actually do this; charge 10% extra for a picture????

I am not sure if I am supposed to laugh :roflmao: or if this is seriously what someone did doh!

Please enlighten me.

I know I did see someone with a thread once who was selling books that he said were coming back from CGC and you could buy them now (sight unseen) or pay more once they were in hand.

Yes, and I believe he continues to do this. Your reference to the thread you saw is probably a match. Books not in hand, buy them now or pay 10% more once in hand with pic. Again, another Board good ol' boy and it's okay with everyone.

I don't know if everyone would define "Board Good Ol' Boy" the same way.

his procedure wasnt normal, nor do a lot of people do it (cause if they did this forum would be an annoying mess of a place).

in the end if he had just listed the book and the price he would have been fine.

He instead did a little bit of everything we work to avoid in the sales threads (so that we dont become like facebook or craigslist).

Agreeing with you on the above but how is this set of selling conditions by Racer-X considered 'normal' ?

1. I post FC and BC scans of books in an order I choose (not sure what that will be yet, and may change on the fly)

2. Each post will contain my estimated grade, any notable blemishes not obvious from the scans, and a RESERVE PRICE (note: not a purchase price)

3. Boardies have 48 hours from time of post to IM me with offers (there is no limit to the number of offers a boardie can make via PM)

5. I will not give ANY clue to one boardie about what other offers may be (not “another offer is $10 higher,” or “you’re the second highest,” or “5 other people made offers”…nothing at all…all offers will be totally blind)

6. After exactly 48 hours, I MUST accept the highest offer that is at or over the reserve price

8. If no deal is made, I may do with that book whatever I wish (which may include re-posting it here, posting it on ebay, giving it to my children, adding it to my bathroom magazine stack, etc.)

9. Upon accepting an offer, I will post the purchase price and the boardie’s ID (so as to allay any suspicion that sales are being made outside of the board)

10. The buyer has exactly 48 hours to transfer money into my paypal account (ONLY paypal will be accepted as payment)

11. If I do not receive payment within 2 days of the deal, I may cancel the transaction at will

14. Shipping: books purchased at $50 or under will be sandwiched between cardboard slabs and shipped in a parcel post padded envelope for an additional charge of $5.

14. Shipping: books purchased at $50 or over will be shipped in a USPS priority mail box for an additional charge of $10

16. Buyer has up to three days from receipt of book(s) to ask for a FULL REFUND return, no questions asked

18. Given book(s) is/are returned in same condition as they were to begin with, I have up to 24 hours from receipt of returned book(s) to refund the purchase price.

I guess the question is whether point 6 meets the requirements of point 6 of the Boards' Sales Rules, specifically, "It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for."

On one level his rules do not meet this requirement, since there is no equivalent of a BIN as in auctions, and by his own definition his "reserve" price is not a BIN. 2c

I just wonder where he found the time to conceive and write down all of these rules… :P

Aside from this, the only things I don’t like is people being so touchy that you can’t even make a critique or an observation.

I recall that once Racer-X had a small quarrel with etanick about his purchases and sales: true, etanick was a bit rough but he basically told him to do his "homework" to avoid being scammed. I told him that was Nick's temper, but in the end he put him on "ignore", which (as a general rule) i consider an immature thing to do.

Here's another pimp thread, obviously okay because it's Racer-X, titled 'Look What I found' .........

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9682284&fpart=1

I guess the question is whether point 6 meets the requirements of point 6 of the Boards' Sales Rules, specifically, "It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for."

On one level his rules do not meet this requirement, since there is no equivalent of a BIN as in auctions, and by his own definition his "reserve" price is not a BIN. 2c

Right.

Here's another pimp thread, obviously okay because it's Racer-X, titled 'Look What I found' .........

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9682284&fpart=1

I think you're under the impression Batman13 got his strike for pimping his books in other threads.

He didn't.

He got them for repeatedly posting in the sales forum in violation of the rules. Even after he was warned. Even after he had threads deleted. He repeated the listing violations. Those threads got deleted and he got the strike for not paying any heed to the mods telling him to follow the rules.

If he would have stuck to pimping in the the non-sales areas you'd still be able to read and complain about his posts there along with Racer-X's.

I think you're under the impression Batman13 got his strike for pimping his books in other threads.

He didn't.

He got them for repeatedly posting in the sales forum in violation of the rules. Even after he was warned. Even after he had threads deleted. He repeated the listing violations. Those threads got deleted and he got the strike for not paying any heed to the mods telling him to follow the rules.

If he would have stuck to pimping in the the non-sales areas you'd still be able to read and complain about his posts there along with Racer-X's.

OK, but boomber-bob at least is right in saying that tactic is annoying, and not fair to the public.

I replied to Racer-X here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9689222#Post9689222

He didn't.

OK, but boomber-bob at least is right in saying that tactic is annoying, and not fair to the public.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9689222#Post9689222

No one's disagreeing with Bob there.

It's the comparison to the discipline of Batman13 (for very specific listing violations in the one area of the forum that actually has tight listing criteria) to Racer-X's seeming non-discipline for posting in less regulated areas of the board which is not the best apples to apples comparison.

He didn't.

Wouldn't this be the equivalent to posting in the "spare me a grade" section? He just should be posting there instead.

I think we are talking about 2 different people;)

I was just making a probably hard to follow joke about the "made man" reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_man

I knew what you meant Sharon :)

I watched The Sopranos :sumo:

But not Goodfellas, apparently. :cry:

This joke goes over her head, that joke goes over his head.

And this guys like "oh, whaddya want from me".

I was just making a probably hard to follow joke about the "made man" reference.

XS5LK.gif

He didn't.

Wouldn't this be the equivalent to posting in the "spare me a grade" section? He just should be posting there instead.

:gossip: Page 2

Mea Culpa;)

I totally admit to being movie and tv challenged;) I used to do pretty well on Trivial Pursuit, but totally crashed in those categories;)

I DO, however, watch the superhero stuff now;)