• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Apparently the poor fellow posted the same kind of disingenuous sounding "this is a great book, oh, btw, I have one for sale" in multiple forums. His first attempt to sell the book (several weeks earlier) was before he had it in hand, so he found some other similar CGC book (same title but an issue # or two off) and used that scan in a sales thread hyping its rareness a bit (though it's a great looking 9.6 book).

Weeks later came the spam, and he used same kind of 'soft sell' tactics (highest grade available anywhere ever for sale or something).

Plus it's a pretty unforgiving kind of place, though he seems to have earned some flack because he's transparent but acts like he's innocent babe with only the best intentions for us.

Thanks for the reply. The above doesn't sound too severe. I mean, that's normal procedure for a lot of people here. Recently someone was pimping books from a collection he had not yet even purchased. Asking for values, interest, etc. Since he was a popular figure around here it was perfectly legit. I hate pump and dump tactics but I have a feeling Batman13 took a hit because he was not popular.

and he was a complete spoon

I can't imagine it had anything to do with the price.

Agreed, then what happened ? It's confusing when threads get cleaned up but the conversation goes on. It might be nice for the Mod or anyone else to give a little more detail. It must have been really bad to start a WTB thread mocking him.

He posted multiple threads asking about the value and multiple sales threads for the book, some in the wrong forums.

In one of the threads asking about value he also posted that the book was for sale, causing the mods to delete it.

He also had the book for sale elsewhere while trying to sell it here.

When informed that he was spamming the boards and violating forum rules he didn't care and said it was no big deal and wished us merry Christmas.

Apparently the poor fellow posted the same kind of disingenuous sounding "this is a great book, oh, btw, I have one for sale" in multiple forums. His first attempt to sell the book (several weeks earlier) was before he had it in hand, so he found some other similar CGC book (same title but an issue # or two off) and used that scan in a sales thread hyping its rareness a bit (though it's a great looking 9.6 book).

Weeks later came the spam, and he used same kind of 'soft sell' tactics (highest grade available anywhere ever for sale or something).

Plus it's a pretty unforgiving kind of place, though he seems to have earned some flack because he's transparent but acts like he's innocent babe with only the best intentions for us.

Thanks for the reply. The above doesn't sound too severe. I mean, that's normal procedure for a lot of people here. Recently someone was pimping books from a collection he had not yet even purchased. Asking for values, interest, etc. Since he was a popular figure around here it was perfectly legit. I hate pump and dump tactics but I have a feeling Batman13 took a hit because he was not popular.

He also had multiple other sales threads for different books yanked for violating rules. He posted a stock image of the book he was selling. Rule breaking every time he posted a thread.

his procedure wasnt normal, nor do a lot of people do it (cause if they did this forum would be an annoying mess of a place). And yeah it's hard to see why he got the strike since all of the sales thread hoopla got deleted, as well as some of the other threads.

So on 11/23 he tried a sales thread for the Strange Adventures 12 he's trying to sell where he posted a raw pre-press photo of the book along with photos of other books ranging from lower grade copies of the same issue (I think a 9.2 SA12) and high grade pedigree copies of other issues (Spokane SA13 9.6 I think) plus a looooooooooooooong diatribe about the value of the book where he cherry picked sales of other high grade issues of SA (and ignored other lower price sales that were more applicable) and had some inflation calculation to come to some asking price. He got slammed in the thread for not being clear about what he was showing in the thread and what grade the books was and what state it was in. He cleaned up the thread but when you are trying to sell a book for thousands of dollars you have to do it cleanly from the start, otherwise potential buyers get nervous.

So he walked away and was back 2 weeks later with the book in hand and went right back to it. It was a little clearer, but still with cherry picking comps, not mentioning the book being pressed and dry cleaned and then complaining about why no one was buying his book, and how he wasnt spamming the forums about it (there are like 5 thread that no longer exist relating to the book in various forums, so looking at the posts now doesnt show just how much he was posting this book.

in the end if he had just listed the book and the price he would have been fine.

He instead did a little bit of everything we work to avoid in the sales threads (so that we dont become like facebook or craigslist).

Bob,

He was posting pictures of 9.6 Silver Age (This was a Marvel Super Heroes #12 in a now deleted thread) slabs that he didn't own....and when pressed said they were "examples" of the book he had coming back from CGC and looked "identical" to his. Four figure SA slabs....with stock photo pics.

And he cross posted on Facebook...with another stand in photo...with another serial number...for the same book.

Then he sliced and diced GPA reported sales. Including only the high sales and removing any mention of the most recent sales which were FAR lower.

That's not even getting into claims that the other copies of his books on the census have never sold and would not be available, even though he didn't know who owned them and had no actual knowledge if they had ever changed hands.

This isn't a lack of popularity causing negative reaction. This is negative actions causing a lack of popularity.

This isn't a lack of popularity causing negative reaction. This is negative actions causing a lack of popularity.

Yep.

Better not to say anything at all and just list it asking for the moon. Or you can have a sales thread where you list a price, give 25% off the price and still have it 25% higher than going rate... :insane:

Yep.

Better not to say anything at all and just list it asking for the moon. Or you can have a sales thread where you list a price, give 25% off the price and still have it 25% higher than going rate... :insane:

:takeit:

I didn't mean to say I thought he was a sweetheart or anything, as I recall his only reason for joining board is to sell a few books, not to participate in any conversation or any post anywhere outside his own threads the 'sale only' forums (other than to promote his sale thread, I mean).

Okay, like I said, it's difficult to ascertain all this after the fact. However, to my point of the good old boys club..... Look at Racer-x's recent tactics when he was acquiring a GA collection.

- He started a thread showing off a recently acquired OO collection. Turns out he didn't even have the books yet, just pimping them. I commented about this in the thread and he basically told me he's a made man here and I could leave.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9587107&fpart=1

- He started new threads showing off group shots of the collection by genre.

- He started a thread asking how he should sell the books.

Anyway, I'm not here to call Racer-X out, just saying his tactics seem to be okay with everyone. I really don't know what's legit around here anymore but it's all good.

You do realize this wasn't a one time "oopsy" on batmanfan's part resulting in a strike, right?

He did the same thing repeatedly and had multiple threads pulled for continuously failing to comply with Board rules. He's lucky he only got a strike and didn't lose the privilege to sell here.

What are you so upset about?

You do realize this wasn't a one time "oopsy" on batmanfan's part resulting in a strike, right?

He did the same thing repeatedly and had multiple threads pulled for continuously failing to comply with Board rules. He's lucky he only got a strike and didn't lose the privilege to sell here.

I'm actually not upset, just trying to understand what happened. As stated, having not seen these threads by Batman13, it's difficult to ascertain what happened. However, I see a lot of annoying sales tactics going on here. Selling before the books are in hand, starting threads to pimp books, charging 10% extra to see a pic, etc. Anything seems to be okay. Very disconcerting.

I personally am upset with NFL scheduling the Raiders to fly cross country to KC to play a divisional game on a Thursday night after a Sunday afternoon game.

his tactics seem to be okay with everyone. I really don't know what's legit around here anymore but it's all good.

Racer-X's tactics you describe are not OK with me...they are very annoying (as far as board-related annoyances go). I directly called him out in one of his early pimping threads in Gold. After that, when it was obviously becoming habitual (and not just a one-time oops), I button humped another one of those threads.

The mods seemingly ignored my notification. :D

I'm actually not upset, just trying to understand what happened. As stated, having not seen these threads by Batman13, it's difficult to ascertain what happened. However, I see a lot of annoying sales tactics going on here. Selling before the books are in hand, starting threads to pimp books, charging 10% extra to see a pic, etc. Anything seems to be okay. Very disconcerting.

Well, you didn't get a chance to see Batman13's tactics and transgressions because they were bad enough and frequent enough to get the threads deleted in their entirety.

That's why I tried to lay out for you that this wasn't a popularity contest, it was a repeated nose-thumbing of the rules, with a hefty helping of GPA manipulation and utter defiance in the face of quality advice to rectify all of the above.

Okay, like I said, it's difficult to ascertain all this after the fact. However, to my point of the good old boys club..... Look at Racer-x's recent tactics when he was acquiring a GA collection.

- He started a thread showing off a recently acquired OO collection. Turns out he didn't even have the books yet, just pimping them. I commented about this in the thread and he basically told me he's a made man here and I could leave.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9587107&fpart=1

Anyway, I'm not here to call Racer-X out, just saying his tactics seem to be okay with everyone. I really don't know what's legit around here anymore but it's all good.

I grew up in Da Bronx, I hope "Made man" does not mean the same thing here as it did there;)?

I grew up in Da Bronx, I hope "Made man" does not mean the same thing here as it did there;)?

You know what I mean. He lied about gpa, he didn't follow sales thread rules. He's gone, and we couldn't do anything about it.

tumblr_n8lu6aXilN1qizyaio1_500.gif

I think we are talking about 2 different people;)

I was just making a probably hard to follow joke about the "made man" reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_man

I knew what you meant Sharon :)

I watched The Sopranos :sumo:

Did someone actually do this; charge 10% extra for a picture????

I am not sure if I am supposed to laugh :roflmao: or if this is seriously what someone did doh!

Please enlighten me.

I know I did see someone with a thread once who was selling books that he said were coming back from CGC and you could buy them now (sight unseen) or pay more once they were in hand.

Did someone actually do this; charge 10% extra for a picture????

I am not sure if I am supposed to laugh :roflmao: or if this is seriously what someone did doh!

Please enlighten me.

I know I did see someone with a thread once who was selling books that he said were coming back from CGC and you could buy them now (sight unseen) or pay more once they were in hand.

Yes, and I believe he continues to do this. Your reference to the thread you saw is probably a match. Books not in hand, buy them now or pay 10% more once in hand with pic. Again, another Board good ol' boy and it's okay with everyone.