• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

How has that guy not received a strike for his outrageous spamming?

I don't know. Clearly he's earned one.

Apparently he got it.

yup

and he'll probably come back and launch a ten page tirade on how unfair the mods are. (shrug)

That would cut into his selling time though :baiting:

Hell no,he'd just pimp his book at the end of his post and post links to facebook and comiclink

Did CGC change it's designation on trimmed books?

Here's a link to an Iron Man #55 that a board member has in a sales thread

and note says "top edge trimmed" but it has a Blue Universal label.

In the past, didn't this type of scenario receive a purple label with the notation "trimmed" next

to the grade?

Iron Man #55 sales thread

It's a factory miscut, not a trim.

The seller was just using slang, as in 'bad trim' = bad cut, just like when it's cut with back cover mis-wrapped around with white stripe, for e.g.

Thus, blue label.

The label itself has the trimmed notation.

In the past, didn't this type of scenario receive a purple label with the notation "trimmed" next

to the grade?

The seller was just using slang, as in 'bad trim' = bad cut, just like when it's cut with back cover mis-wrapped around with white stripe, for e.g.

Thus, blue label.

The verification look up also shows the notation of a trim & label colour reference reads "universal"

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=1343577010&grader-notes=yes

hm

Edited by bababooey

to the grade?

Either that book was weirdly miscut and not trimmed, so the label note is wrong. Or it was trimmed, in which case it should have a purple label.

to the grade?

Thus, blue label.

The verification look up also shows the notation of a trim & label colour reference reads "universal"

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=1343577010&grader-notes=yes

hm

Just out of curiosity, I blew $5 on the grader's notes.

Here they (it) are (is):

trimmed full top of whole book

So, the book should have a purple label.

Edited by Sqeggs

My bad. I'm an i d i o t, sorry. I figured QC would catch that kind of thing and get label color right and didn't see the note on label.

I suspect the hairy chest Wonder Woman might have been an error too, now that I think about it.

Just out of curiosity, I blew $5 on the grader's notes.

Here they (it) are (is):

trimmed full top of whole book

So, the book should have a purple label.

You're okay bud, guess it's the season when wallets open a little easier to take the fly on the notes, real glad you shared with us.

to the grade?

Thus, blue label.

I have a feeling that it might be a poor manufacturing cut but with the notes

using "trimmed" instead of saying "miscut" it is causing confusion as the word

"trimmed" has a negative stigma in the hobby.

I would imagine that is why it received an 8.5 grade for the glaring flaw.

I have a feeling that it might be a poor manufacturing cut but with the notes

using "trimmed" instead of saying "miscut" it is causing confusion as the word

"trimmed" has a negative stigma in the hobby.

I would imagine that is why it received an 8.5 grade for the glaring flaw.

'Glaring' is an understatement. The back cover looks like it has a big corner crunch or something else is going on there. If you are correct and it's a factory miscut, they really only gave it a minor, if anything, knock in the grade. Factory, or on purpose, that is a big

flaw.

How has that guy not received a strike for his outrageous spamming?

I don't know. Clearly he's earned one.

Apparently he got it.

yup

and he'll probably come back and launch a ten page tirade on how unfair the mods are. (shrug)

Who are we talking about here?

I'm sorry but what am I missing here regarding Batman13 ? When he first got the book raw, he posted a thread asking for help in determining the value. Nobody responds, as in 0 responses in the thread. I think he got some private PM's and used the advice given to ascertain a guestimate FMV price. Maybe I missed something but asking a ridiculous price for a book is not grounds for ridicule ? Here is a link to the aforementioned thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=33&Number=9640740&Searchpage=1&Main=421142&Words=+batmanfan13&topic=0&Search=true#Post9640740

I can't imagine it had anything to do with the price.

Agreed, then what happened ? It's confusing when threads get cleaned up but the conversation goes on. It might be nice for the Mod or anyone else to give a little more detail. It must have been really bad to start a WTB thread mocking him.

Apparently the poor fellow posted the same kind of disingenuous sounding "this is a great book, oh, btw, I have one for sale" in multiple forums and elsewhere. His first attempt to sell the book (several weeks earlier) was before he had it in hand, so he found some other similar CGC book (same title but an issue # or two off) and used that scan in a sales thread hyping its rareness a bit (though it's a great looking 9.6 book).

Weeks later came the spam, and he used same kind of 'soft sell' tactics (highest grade available anywhere ever for sale or something).

Plus it's a pretty unforgiving kind of place, though he seems to have earned some flack because he's transparent but acts like he's innocent babe with only the best intentions for us.

Agreed, then what happened ? It's confusing when threads get cleaned up but the conversation goes on. It might be nice for the Mod or anyone else to give a little more detail. It must have been really bad to start a WTB thread mocking him.

he even posted the book for sale in the coin forums...everywhere you looked..that book!

he even posted the book for sale in the coin forums...everywhere you looked..that book!

including Facebook

Apparently the poor fellow posted the same kind of disingenuous sounding "this is a great book, oh, btw, I have one for sale" in multiple forums. His first attempt to sell the book (several weeks earlier) was before he had it in hand, so he found some other similar CGC book (same title but an issue # or two off) and used that scan in a sales thread hyping its rareness a bit (though it's a great looking 9.6 book).

Weeks later came the spam, and he used same kind of 'soft sell' tactics (highest grade available anywhere ever for sale or something).

Plus it's a pretty unforgiving kind of place, though he seems to have earned some flack because he's transparent but acts like he's innocent babe with only the best intentions for us.

Thanks for the reply. The above doesn't sound too severe. I mean, that's normal procedure for a lot of people here. Recently someone was pimping books from a collection he had not yet even purchased. Asking for values, interest, etc. Since he was a popular figure around here it was perfectly legit. I hate pump and dump tactics but I have a feeling Batman13 took a hit because he was not popular.