• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Shadow Images said:

Quick question, has Chip Cataldo meet his obligations here?

In addition to being in the HoS, he is also still on the PL, so the answer must be no, he has not.

Just now, Shadow Images said:

Thanks  couldn't find the list on the forum. 

Yes, it got shuffled in the switch over, its now within a separate "Marketplace Probations" sub-forum, sandwiched between the Kudos and the GA/SA/BA sales area.

It seems like the usual suspects are back using the updated boards but the sales thread section still seems like a ghost town?  Any ideas why?  My E-Bay store seems slow also so maybe it's just that time of year before spring buying kicks in.

It is slow, my impression is that the buyers are around but there are fewer sellers posting, and maybe part of it is making the adjustment to the new Boards, afterall it takes more to put together a sales thread than to simply post an I'll take it. So buying remains the same but selling requires adjustment. Given how much easier it is to post pics with the new system I am pretty confident things will be back to normal shortly. I was going to delay another sales thread, but given the ease of uploading pics I am considering moving it forward.

25 minutes ago, meeklo said:

It feels like a ghost town for sales both here and eBay lately...the boards I could understand with the software switch...but eBay is just uncharacteristically slow too.

It seemed to hit all at once at the beginning of March for some reason.  I was mailing out 10-14 packages a week to only mailing out 2-3 packages the last few weeks.  I switched over from BIN with offers to just a set lower priced BIN (got tired of the Offer process) so I was thinking that may have been the reason.  It has given me some more time to scan some books though which has been nice lol

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

It seemed to hit all at once at the beginning of March for some reason.  I was mailing out 10-14 packages a week to only mailing out 2-3 packages the last few weeks.  I switched over from BIN with offers to just a set lower priced BIN (got tired of the Offer process) so I was thinking that may have been the reason.  It has given me some more time to scan some books though which has been nice lol

Yeah...too bad I don't have another 12 long boxes to go through!

Edited by meeklo

On 3/15/2017 at 1:14 PM, 1Cool said:

When I do list, I set my books as BIN with best offer.  The set price is usually 10-15% above GPA, with the idea that I'll sell it if they offer 10-15% below GPA.  That rarely happens, unfortunately.  Usually on a $400 book, the consistent offers are for well under half of that, at best.  The really insulting ones will offer about $30 on a $400 book.  Begs the question as to the amount of free time they have.

I think I'm going to disable the offer feature on my meager listings as well.

5 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

When I do list, I set my books as BIN with best offer.  The set price is usually 10-15% above GPA, with the idea that I'll sell it if they offer 10-15% below GPA.  That rarely happens, unfortunately.  Usually on a $400 book, the consistent offers are for well under half of that, at best.  The really insulting ones will offer about $30 on a $400 book.  Begs the question as to the amount of free time they have.

I think I'm going to disable the offer feature on my meager listings as well.

I ended up putting the BIN with offers back on after a week.  Nothing was selling without the Offer option and 4 books sold today once I switched it back.  I ended having to negotiate for all 4 sales but at least books are moving again.

21 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I ended up putting the BIN with offers back on after a week.  Nothing was selling without the Offer option and 4 books sold today once I switched it back.  I ended having to negotiate for all 4 sales but at least books are moving again.

Yeah, Best Offer has been a huge help for me to move some stuff, as I usually build in a little wiggle room to my prices. Starting about a year ago, auctions just started eating it, and they never really recovered (except in the cases of genuinely rare/expensive books, which tend to find their proper price.) So I do pretty much everything BIN/BO now. What kills me are the people who lowball you at less than half your asking price. I don't even counteroffer those. Don't waste my time. 

38 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, Best Offer has been a huge help for me to move some stuff, as I usually build in a little wiggle room to my prices. Starting about a year ago, auctions just started eating it, and they never really recovered (except in the cases of genuinely rare/expensive books, which tend to find their proper price.) So I do pretty much everything BIN/BO now. What kills me are the people who lowball you at less than half your asking price. I don't even counteroffer those. Don't waste my time. 

Yah you can just set your listing to auto-reject offers under a certain amount.  Allowing 50% offers is already pretty generous to me, I think I typically auto reject at like 70-75%.  But then again I typically auto accept at like 85%. 

36 minutes ago, revat said:

Yah you can just set your listing to auto-reject offers under a certain amount.  Allowing 50% offers is already pretty generous to me, I think I typically auto reject at like 70-75%.  But then again I typically auto accept at like 85%. 

That explains a lot if a lot of other people set the auto accept at 10-15% off.  Everyone asks for a 15% discount and then most of the time the person pays full price if I don't respond or come back with a small discount.  My biggest issue with setting auto-reject is flipping back and forth between auction and BIN listings.  It's easy to list 150 unsold books as an auction at my asking price but then it's a pain when I switch back to BIN if I want to use the auto reject.  And I've found I like to see if maybe my price is out of wack and the 50% offer is actually a good offer.  It takes more work but the sales seemed to be back once I went back to BIN with offers. 

I think its a world wide slowdown.

By far my lowest volume of sales in the last 3 years.

6 Books this week, compared to 20 - 25 normally.

Mind you I need some new stock, so there is that.