• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, ChiSoxFan said:

So, generally speaking, how much hyperbole is considered allowable before it becomes something more along the lines of "misleading"? hm

If advertise a book for sale here in the forums and say that it's "extremely hard to find in grade" (like, let's say a very early Tec, that would have GPA numbers behind it) or "this is a hot book with the TV show coming" (like a Marvel Premiere #15, let's say), I would think those are perfectly okay phrases to use in a sales thread.  I've sometimes used similar comments myself, so I don't see anything wrong with making a comment on your own book in the purposed of salesmanship.

But what of a seller who says that a book (which will probably have high demand on it) has very few copies left on eBay (as of this typing, there are 25 on eBay currently) and claims sold out at "insert major online store here" and everywhere else, but one of the two largest online stores seemingly has multiple copies in stock as well?  hm  Would others have problems with making claims like that?

I sure would. You would hope potential buyers would do a little homework and after discovering what you discovered decide that maybe this is a seller they would be better off not dealing with. 

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I sure would. You would hope potential buyers would do a little homework and after discovering what you discovered decide that maybe this is a seller they would be off not dealing with. 

I'm guessing you saw the listing I did.  The first thing I did was to check MCS, and there were multiple copies listed in NM/9.4 (I don't know if they list anything in higher grades than that, unless it's something CGC'ed) and a copy in NM-/9.2.  I just snagged a 9.4 copy, and they still show the same number of copies of NM/9.4 available, so my guess is that there are multiples of that NM-/9.2 as well in their current stock.

That is subject to change as the day unfolds obviously, but I thought it was shaky (to be polite) to use an online retailer as an example of a book being sold out when the largest retailer online other than Mile High Prices has them in currently.  Granted, in higher condition presumably than the listing we're discussing, but still, a statement that seems to intentionally omit the most obvious place to look for the book.

Edited by ChiSoxFan
changed verbage

On 2017-02-18 at 7:44 AM, edowens71 said:

xD  That's what I was thinking. 

Begs the question, though...hypothetically speaking, suppose PayPal continued imposing additional international transaction fees...suppose that differential grew from 1.5% to 2%...or 2.5%...or 3.0%, etc....At what point would it be "OK" for U.S. boardies to impose a board transaction surcharge for international PayPal transactions? 

Rhetorical question, of course hm

It's really a question of what Paypal is worth to you. They're providing a service. They're allowed to charge for it. If someone feels the 4% is too much to give up then you can either build it into your price or just ask people to mail checks. But if you want the money right away, then that is the cost of the service. And this is the way most big money corporations make their money: They hit up all the people who 'need it now' and force you to pay for it through the services they provide.

This doesn't sit well with me since I'm not sure why he would out the guy unless there is more to the story.  Once a book leaves my hands it's up to the buyer to set the new price and decide how quickly to sell it.  Now if the buyer had lied and said he needed it and begged for a discount because it would never be sold then I can see it being an issue.  I guess I can see the quick flip being slightly irritating to the seller but to post an e-bay ad for the book seems excessive to me.

7 hours ago, 1Cool said:

This doesn't sit well with me since I'm not sure why he would out the guy unless there is more to the story.  Once a book leaves my hands it's up to the buyer to set the new price and decide how quickly to sell it.  Now if the buyer had lied and said he needed it and begged for a discount because it would never be sold then I can see it being an issue.  I guess I can see the quick flip being slightly irritating to the seller but to post an e-bay ad for the book seems excessive to me.

I agree.  As long as the buyer didn't lie to get it cheaper, and as long as the buyer has already received the book, then he can do what he wants with it.

12 hours ago, Red84 said:

I had no idea there were enough micronauts toys to support a group.  Learn something new everyday.

Neither did I, but there are the Mego, Takara, and the 2002 Microman.  There are a lot that were only released in Japan.

On 2/22/2017 at 10:39 PM, Gatchaman said:

Chip has shown up, again.  He is now part of a group, that I belong to, on Facebook that deals with Micronauts toys.

I've been a member there for a few months now.

I'm also a member of another 5 Facebook action figure groups and 11 Facebook comic groups, as well as a few other message boards.

Does everyone want the names of all those, too?

On 2/22/2017 at 0:20 PM, ChiSoxFan said:

So, generally speaking, how much hyperbole is considered allowable before it becomes something more along the lines of "misleading"? hm

If advertise a book for sale here in the forums and say that it's "extremely hard to find in grade" (like, let's say a very early Tec, that would have GPA numbers behind it) or "this is a hot book with the TV show coming" (like a Marvel Premiere #15, let's say), I would think those are perfectly okay phrases to use in a sales thread.  I've sometimes used similar comments myself, so I don't see anything wrong with making a comment on your own book in the purposed of salesmanship.

But what of a seller who says that a book (which will probably have high demand on it) has very few copies left on eBay (as of this typing, there are 25 on eBay currently) and claims sold out at "insert major online store here" and everywhere else, but one of the two largest online stores seemingly has multiple copies in stock as well?  hm  Would others have problems with making claims like that?

It happens quite a bit but what gets me is quoting GPA highs as "last sales", while neglecting to mention other copies that were sold for a lot less, when it isn't.  

Greetings All,

I'm a new member and have a few questions regarding selling in the forums. If I've posted this to the wrong forum, I apologize.

I have a comic book collection that I assembled during the 80s and have decided that I want to sell my books. I came across this website and forums as a possible place to sell. I have some questions I though that the experienced users could help with.  I'm not a dealer, but an individual seller. I'm not interested in selling my books one at a time, but would like to sell in groups or titles.

1. Are the forums here a good place to sell? Or should I sell on eBay instead? More qualified eyes here? Is there a benefit to selling in one place or the other?
  2. Is it recommended to make a single post per group or items for sale? Or is it recommended to list several groups or items for sale in the same post?
  3. Seeing the posts and forums of users with strikes and who are on "bad user" lists, I'm wondering how risky it is to sell in the forums.  Is it a hassle? Do individual sellers often have problems with buyers either failing to come through or falsely reporting problems with shipment?
  4. Are communications between buyer and seller handled exclusively through private messages?
  5. What is the recommended way to ship comic books so that they aren't bent or damaged in shipping?

Sorry for the list of somewhat ignorant questions, but any assistance would be appreciated.

Shepherdboy

Sorry, I'm a bit confused by both of these responses.  @Crassus, this is a giant thread of some 1500+ responses.  Is jumping into that conversation really the place to post questions? If so, I'll post there.

21 minutes ago, crassus said:

All reasonable questions, but yes wrong place, I would post your questions here

@HarveySwick, I'm confused by this as well.  This link seems to lead to a site of a former instance of these forums that has now been moved to this location. Why post to the old location?

18 minutes ago, HarveySwick said:

Post your questions HERE. That's the real CGC Boards.