• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

Lets say hypothetically this happened, could one back out of the deal and not be crucified by the boards for backing out of a deal? What I mean is, if I took a book and someone slid additional fees in at the last second like that, like buying a used car or something, I would be rather steamed. Are you locked in at this point?

Obviously it would be situational, at least in my mind.

If you agreed to purchase Book_A from me for $500.00, and shipping fees are clearly outlined in the thread, per the rules, any additional charges would have to be explained to your satisfaction before you completed the deal.  I can't imagine how the extra money would be justified, but I guess anything is possible.

Edit:  To be more specific, I'm not going to be happy about a hidden price jump, and would probably take that to the probation thread if the seller made a stink about me backing out of a purchase.

Edited by entalmighty1

1 minute ago, entalmighty1 said:

If you agreed to purchase Book_A from me for $500.00, and shipping fees are clearly outlined in the thread, per the rules, any additional charges would have to be explained to your satisfaction before you completed the deal.  I can't imagine how the extra money would be justified, but I guess anything is possible.

What I mean is if I :takeit: on a book_A, as you say, for 500$ and the thread lists shipping 15$ and the seller accepts PP, those are the terms I have agreed to. Then I get a PM stating that there will be an additional 3% due to the fact that I am paying with PP. Is that not violating the terms that I took the book to? 

Just now, Patriot6 said:

What I mean is if I :takeit: on a book_A, as you say, for 500$ and the thread lists shipping 15$ and the seller accepts PP, those are the terms I have agreed to. Then I get a PM stating that there will be an additional 3% due to the fact that I am paying with PP. Is that not violating the terms that I took the book to? 

I realized I didn't really answer your question very well, then edited my response. (thumbsu 

I'm in complete agreement.  Seller would be voiding the sale by demanding extra, which should easily let you out of the deal.  I suspect that seller would be tarred and feathered should that information get out.  Still, cool books and all, so it probably wouldn't last long.

3 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I realized I didn't really answer your question very well, then edited my response. (thumbsu 

I'm in complete agreement.  Seller would be voiding the sale by demanding extra, which should easily let you out of the deal.  I suspect that seller would be tarred and feathered should that information get out.  Still, cool books and all, so it probably wouldn't last long.

So your htink people would over look the shady addition of the 3% at the last minute for the cool books? What is the world coming to....

12 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Edit:  To be more specific, I'm not going to be happy about a hidden price jump, and would probably take that to the probation thread if the seller made a stink about me backing out of a purchase.

Oh there it is haha. Got it (thumbsu

1 minute ago, Patriot6 said:
4 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

actually at that point I think you would be able to put the seller on the probation list for not executing on the agreed upon terms of the deal.  There's no way one could reasonably expect to be asked to break the terms of paypal as part of the normal course of business, especially when its explicitly stated in the rules of the board and paypal.

IF I were somewhat less scrupulous, I would just put in my listing "Paypal accepted reluctantly, contact me if you want to pay in some other friendlier financial instrument"  and then the person paying by 'check' would contact me and likely ask for the 'price by check', and might be 'quoted' a price or might make an offer stating that they're paying by check, without ever mentioning paypal fees or discounts, etc.  No one breaks any rules blatantly (or publicly), everyone gets what they want. 

That's IF I was less scrupulous.  I don't deal in big items, I don't rely on comics for money, and I'm lazy.  So I'm fine with the paypal fees, more than fine when it makes shipping easier.

1 minute ago, revat said:

actually at that point I think you would be able to put the seller on the probation list for not executing on the agreed upon terms of the deal.  There's no way one could reasonably expect to be asked to break the terms of paypal as part of the normal course of business, especially when its explicitly stated in the rules of the board and paypal.

IF I were somewhat less scrupulous, I would just put in my listing "Paypal accepted reluctantly, contact me if you want to pay in some other friendlier financial instrument"  and then the person paying by 'check' would contact me and likely ask for the 'price by check', and might be 'quoted' a price or might make an offer stating that they're paying by check, without ever mentioning paypal fees or discounts, etc.  No one breaks any rules blatantly (or publicly), everyone gets what they want. 

That's IF I was less scrupulous.  I don't deal in big items, I don't rely on comics for money, and I'm lazy.  So I'm fine with the paypal fees, more than fine when it makes shipping easier.

This makes total sense and has been the standard around here since I arrived. The only thing that bothers me about cheques, checks, is that, as a Canadian, I have to pay about 5$ to make out a cheque in US dollars plus postage to get the cheque there. So I loose either way, unless the 3% exceeds the amount of fees I have to pay for a cheque. Plus, going to the bank to get the cheque and everything is kind of a hassle. 

30 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Yep!  3K worth. 

seriously Mike. I thought you were busting his chops. He must have been a complete lunatic. 3K WTF.

Edited by DR.X