• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:
8 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Let's set the pitchforks abaze!

I was saddened to see skypinkblu jump on the bandwagon. :sorry:

Im sorry never thought about it pushing people down. Ill be more careful next time. I thought i was satisfying the people who say they dont look unlrss they .know what is inside.

People have actually said that? 

6 minutes ago, Jeffro™ said:

I've seen people float that out there. That's why I usually title my threads exactly what is in them. 

I hate to say it (because hey, I'd rather list all my books in my title too) but these guys definitely have a point. Long titles crowd out other sellers.

After our exchange a few hours ago, I tried viewing the marketplace on my phone. This was what I saw.... :D

IMG_1076.thumb.PNG.47357a65c1dfbdccec12fb02eec77907.PNG

1 hour ago, Jeffro™ said:

Yep, they do and i thought it was cool to have more letters. Its actually hard to visualize the whole title until its posted. You only see a small window when you post it. I'm not home and i failed phone editing 101 but ill shorten mine tomorrow

And Tim, ive never wrung my hands in my life lol.

8 hours ago, Point Five said:

I hate to say it (because hey, I'd rather list all my books in my title too) but these guys definitely have a point. Long titles crowd out other sellers.

After our exchange a few hours ago, I tried viewing the marketplace on my phone. This was what I saw.... :D

IMG_1076.thumb.PNG.47357a65c1dfbdccec12fb02eec77907.PNG

That's pretty obnoxious for mobile users. It's even worse when the long title is all in caps

Interesting discussion on the long vs short titles for threads...as a seller, I've used both but mostly lean toward short because, as a buyer, I find the wall of text headlines hard to read. 

I do find that adding a specific book (or "discounts added" or "more books now" or some short update phrase that is relevant) brings people in as it is useful information from a buyer's perspective. When I sell, I try to sell like I shop, and I want to create a thread that is also a fun place to hang out and comment on books. I know some sellers don't like banter in their threads, but geez it's a forum not one's personal sales website. (I do agree that quoting a book that one is not buying can confuse potential buyers, so I avoid that. I just reference a book in a thread if we're discussing it in a sales thread.)

8 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Yep, they do and i thought it was cool to have more letters. Its actually hard to visualize the whole title until its posted. You only see a small window when you post it. I'm not home and i failed phone editing 101 but ill shorten mine tomorrow

If you shorten yours then I'm going to complain that it isn't informative enough. 

I never considered the issue of crowding out other sellers, I’m coming at it from a strictly visual perspective and what it conveys. If a seller posts a 500 word essay for a title, it’s too much to wade through, especially if caps are used along with excess punctuation; the titles read like listings from those carnival barker schmucks on ebay I avoid.

I’m also more interested in who the seller is. When I see a skypinkblu, Dr.X, GACollectibles or October sales thread for example, I want to look at it and see what’s for sale. Whereas when Ryan posts, I head right back to Comics General. :whistle:

I don’t need a laundry list of dozens of books in a title, just something simple, like “Atlas Pre-Code Horror,” "Silver and Bronze Marvels," "DC War," etc. is plenty.

5 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Whereas when Ryan posts, I head right back to Comics General. :whistle:

My threads have caused people to completely shut down their accounts. 

7 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Interesting discussion on the long vs short titles for threads...as a seller, I've used both but mostly lean toward short because, as a buyer, I find the wall of text headlines hard to read. 

I do find that adding a specific book (or "discounts added" or "more books now" or some short update phrase that is relevant) brings people in as it is useful information from a buyer's perspective. When I sell, I try to sell like I shop, and I want to create a thread that is also a fun place to hang out and comment on books. I know some sellers don't like banter in their threads, but geez it's a forum not one's personal sales website. (I do agree that quoting a book that one is not buying can confuse potential buyers, so I avoid that. I just reference a book in a thread if we're discussing it in a sales thread.)

I too am pro-banter.

16 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I rung my hands once. But I misdialled and got my arse :)

5 minutes ago, revat said:

I too am pro-banter.

Does that count? :)

27 minutes ago, revat said:
8 hours ago, Readcomix said:

nteresting discussion on the long vs short titles for threads...as a seller, I've used both but mostly lean toward short because, as a buyer, I find the wall of text headlines hard to read. 

I too am pro-banter.

that's what makes selling fun at times on here, even if Greggy shows up.

2 minutes ago, DR.X said:

If I ever have a sales thread,I'll need you to work security,okay?

The revenge carp post rate will be high

32 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:
36 minutes ago, DR.X said:

If I ever have a sales thread,I'll need you to work security,okay?

The revenge carp post rate will be high

I just might be available at a flat rate.

mossberg pump.jpg

Edited by DR.X

5 hours ago, Ryan. said:

My threads have caused people to completely shut down their accounts. 

Every time I start to feel the briefest glimmer of hope and joy... one look at your avatar brings me right back down. 1570353552_ScreenShot2019-08-28at8_46_18PM.png.06c39d4d53dd03d5cd7ed5b749e615cd.png

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

That's a toy, it shoots water;) 

@ Pontoon fixed my title...let me know if it now meets your approval;) 

Seriously, sorry about that. 

hm

I think it's improved, but grammar may still need some work. When I read "Recap for $100" my first thought was "Dang! Decepticon used to do those just out of the goodness of his heart!"

6 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

hm

I think it's improved, but grammar may still need some work. When I read "Recap for $100" my first thought was "Dang! Decepticon used to do those just out of the goodness of his heart!"

A friend of mine had an old saying.,,"You're killing me Louie!" I'm going to start calling you Louie!;)

Here I was taking out words, thinking...,too many, gotta cut that;) 

Here is my password, ...just go write whatever makes you smile;) :foryou: