• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Well, this is kind of embarassing.....But here seemed a good place to post this...

If anyone has received a Phantom Stranger 14 in the mail from me as part of a set of books you bought, can u please let me know. While it makes a nice freebie, the book was bought by another board member and for the life of me I can't find it. So if I accidentally sent it to someone, PM me and we'll see if we can't get it to its rightful owner.

And yes, I'm a dork. ^^

Well, this is kind of embarassing.....But here seemed a good place to post this...

If anyone has received a Phantom Stranger 14 in the mail from me as part of a set of books you bought, can u please let me know. While it makes a nice freebie, the book was bought by another board member and for the life of me I can't find it. So if I accidentally sent it to someone, PM me and we'll see if we can't get it to its rightful owner.

And yes, I'm a dork. ^^

Say "no to crack!" :makepoint:

And yes, I'm a dork. ^^

You're not alone. I had a certain board seller send me someone's book by mistake. No biggie, I just shipped it forward for him.

This isn't a big deal....but I'm very curious about how most sellers (and buyers too) view 'offers via PM' for a book or books in your selling threads.

From what I can glean from many months of paying attention and participating as a buyer (and a few as a seller) in transactions, it's an accepted form of barter and even an enjoyable part of the process for some. I've been on both ends of these types of transactions, and if a deal is made, great, and if it's not made, then that's fine too.

However, I've noticed lately that some sellers will either not respond at all to an offer, or the response is so acerbic that it not only puts me off the book, but the seller as well. Really, a 'I'm looking for a bit more for that book', or an 'I'm firm on the price of this book' are more than acceptable. Better yet, throw that in the first post of your selling thread.

Worst of all is when that IS stated in the first post of your selling thread, and when someone PM's you an offer, you blow them off or act like you insulted them in some way.

I usually wait to make an offer after a book or books have sat in a thread for a while with no action before making an offer, but that's just me. I like to give a seller time to make his asking price before offering something less....but I realize this is not law or anything.

It just seems really weird to me how some react to an offer. Anyone else experience this (without naming names)? Or is it just me? (That would be NOT AT ALL surprising ;) ).

This isn't a big deal....but I'm very curious about how most sellers (and buyers too) view 'offers via PM' for a book or books in your selling threads.

From what I can glean from many months of paying attention and participating as a buyer (and a few as a seller) in transactions, it's an accepted form of barter and even an enjoyable part of the process for some. I've been on both ends of these types of transactions, and if a deal is made, great, and if it's not made, then that's fine too.

However, I've noticed lately that some sellers will either not respond at all to an offer, or the response is so acerbic that it not only puts me off the book, but the seller as well. Really, a 'I'm looking for a bit more for that book', or an 'I'm firm on the price of this book' are more than acceptable. Better yet, throw that in the first post of your selling thread.

Worst of all is when that IS stated in the first post of your selling thread, and when someone PM's you an offer, you blow them off or act like you insulted them in some way.

I usually wait to make an offer after a book or books have sat in a thread for a while with no action before making an offer, but that's just me. I like to give a seller time to make his asking price before offering something less....but I realize this is not law or anything.

It just seems really weird to me how some react to an offer. Anyone else experience this (without naming names)? Or is it just me? (That would be NOT AT ALL surprising ;) ).

I haven't had any trouble PMing people with offers (blue808, Rich_Henn, and Transplant all come to mind). I can say that I am never offended by a PM. I don't consider any offer insulting and am glad to chat with anybody who makes an offer.

That stinks that you've had trouble with some people. If you'd like a longer list of great boardies that I've PM'd and had no trouble with at all, I'd be happy to send it to you.

I haven't had any trouble PMing people with offers (blue808, Rich_Henn, and Transplant all come to mind). I can say that I am never offended by a PM. I don't consider any offer insulting and am glad to chat with anybody who makes an offer.

That stinks that you've had trouble with some people. If you'd like a longer list of great boardies that I've PM'd and had no trouble with at all, I'd be happy to send it to you.

No, that's not necessary....it's not (or it wasn't) a prevalent thing, till the last couple of weeks. I wouldn't even necessarily call it 'trouble', but it is a bit disconcerting when it happens. The list of folks that are amenable is a lot longer than the short list of bummers, but like any transaction involving customer service, a person often remember the bad experiences a lot easier than the good ones.

Most folks are great, but, as usual, I'd like to live in a utopia :shy:

I'd say at least half of all my transactions I've done on the boards have taken place via PM--whether I PM someone with an offer or someone else noticed my moaning and groaning over having posted the :takeit: too late and makes me an offer on their copy. I'd venture 90-95%+ of the boardies out there have been real cool about getting back to me one way or the other. And I DO try to get back to people as well so they aren't wondering if I am or am not interested.

But we all make mistakes, and because the occurrence of people not responding is so low, I sorta just write it off as being that. Safe to say my near-year of buying and selling experience has been 10x better than eBay or any other online options!

I welcome offers via PM. I may not accept them but you can always try.

The only issue there is if someone PM's me an offer and before I can accept it, someone hits the :takeit: in the thread thereby winning the book. I've had a couple people get upset by this and claim their offer was sent before the bin so they should get the book. Of course, that's not the way it works. Once an offer is accepted by the seller, the book is sold and not before. If I happen to be sleeping or busy for a day or 3 and someone bins the book 30 hours after you sent a PM that I haven't seen yet, sorry, you lose.

The only issue there is if someone PM's me an offer and before I can accept it, someone hits the :takeit: in the thread thereby winning the book. I've had a couple people get upset by this and claim their offer was sent before the bin so they should get the book. Of course, that's not the way it works. Once an offer is accepted by the seller, the book is sold and not before. If I happen to be sleeping or busy for a day or 3 and someone bins the book 30 hours after you sent a PM that I haven't seen yet, sorry, you lose.

They should now that you go on 48 hour benders.

They should now that you go on 48 hour benders.
Minimum.

Absolutely, and that should be a given that the :takeit: trumps a PM. It's a no-brainer if you send someone a PM and you see that someone hit the I'll Take It before your PM gets answered, you're out of luck (regardless of what your offer was).

A polite 'no thanks' or counteroffer is all I'm looking for.

The truth is is that I'm just a really cheap basterd and love to be reminded of it on a daily basis ;)

Absolutely, and that should be a given that the :takeit: trumps a PM. It's a no-brainer if you send someone a PM and you see that someone hit the I'll Take It before your PM gets answered, you're out of luck (regardless of what your offer was).

A polite 'no thanks' or counteroffer is all I'm looking for.

The truth is is that I'm just a really cheap basterd and love to be reminded of it on a daily basis ;)

I liked it better when you spoke in the third person.

I liked it better when you spoke in the third person.

Well, that can certainly be arranged, especially with the backing of a board legend like yourself.

The last time Annihilus tried it here, someone seemed supremely annoyed (deathlok? it's tough to remember). Probably something to do with the newb status, it's hard telling. Maybe they were pissed because CAL had the market cornered on that too?

However, the give-a-shatometer has become less sensitive lately, so it might work out a second time around (shrug) . We could try a 'talk in third person day' here....that's how Annihilus picked up the habit on a different board he trolls.

It's certainly better than talking like a pirate all the time (not to be confused with talking like pirate, the boardie).

Offers are fine. But courtesy works both ways as well. If a seller says no, they don't need a follow-up e-mail telling them the book is too expensive or it's their last offer...as if it matters at that point...

Jim

Offers are fine. But courtesy works both ways as well. If a seller says no, they don't need a follow-up e-mail telling them the book is too expensive or it's their last offer...as if it matters at that point...

Jim

lol .... have you actually had that happen?

That's ri-gawd-dam-diculous too...maybe even worse!

Jim

lol .... have you actually had that happen?

That's ri-gawd-dam-diculous too...maybe even worse!

Yep...both happened at the last VCC I set-up at...

That's the reason I put the "don't take no personally" comment in my last sales thread...

Jim

Edited by awe4one