• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Since you asked thoughts on this, I'd say it's probably worth getting that back crease pressed out the the greatest extent possible, it's barely visible as I couldn't even see it with my iphone, then get it CGC slabbed, then ask whatever you want for it as it's a beautiful copy for whatever the technical grade determined by CGC dictates.

It's obviously going to be one of those books that sells for well over GPA for the technical grade IMO.

I was only asking in case you did send it to him as his opinion on grade, etc... may have helped with the sale (thumbs u ...

Beautiful book but outside my means right nah as the I'm trying to sell books at the moment to a little make room in my comic cave (thumbs u ...

GLWTS.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned Matt Nelson rendered his services/grading opinoin on Avengers #16, did he by chance do the same with #4?

I don't believe I ever sent that book to Matt. I got that AV 4 in a trade with a Baseball Card/Comic shop in North Carolina that I used to do business with around 1990 and I don't think that it's been out of my possession since then. On the other hand, I understand that someone might wonder about restoration on a pricey book and it's a legitimate concern. I've been burned before on a couple of books although they were worth much less than this one. I have been around the block enough times to not be surprised by anything that happens although I can assure you that I would be very disappointed in the people that I used to do business with.

So, with that in mind, I wouldn't be opposed to providing reasonable assurances against that possibility to any buyer. I can check with the local museums to see if they have anyone on staff qualified to make that determination. What are your thoughts?

If you're not 100% sure it's unrestored you have no business offering it (imo). Get it graded then re-list it.

I don't have any doubts about whether or not it's restored. I was merely exploring options to put others at ease.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned Matt Nelson rendered his services/grading opinoin on Avengers #16, did he by chance do the same with #4?

I don't believe I ever sent that book to Matt. I got that AV 4 in a trade with a Baseball Card/Comic shop in North Carolina that I used to do business with around 1990 and I don't think that it's been out of my possession since then. On the other hand, I understand that someone might wonder about restoration on a pricey book and it's a legitimate concern. I've been burned before on a couple of books although they were worth much less than this one. I have been around the block enough times to not be surprised by anything that happens although I can assure you that I would be very disappointed in the people that I used to do business with.

So, with that in mind, I wouldn't be opposed to providing reasonable assurances against that possibility to any buyer. I can check with the local museums to see if they have anyone on staff qualified to make that determination. What are your thoughts?

If you're not 100% sure it's unrestored you have no business offering it (imo). Get it graded then re-list it.

I don't have any doubts about whether or not it's restored. I was merely exploring options to put others at ease.

Why not just get it graded? Leave no doubt.

Because I don't see the need, tortoise. If the person that ultimately buys this book wants some assurances or guarantees regarding its restoration status, I'm certain that he/she and I can work out those details to our mutual satisfaction. And the reality is, that person is the only one who needs to be reassured.

Because I don't see the need, tortoise. If the person that ultimately buys this book wants some assurances or guarantees regarding its restoration status, I'm certain that he/she and I can work out those details to our mutual satisfaction. And the reality is, that person is the only one who needs to be reassured.

Well that's only true once it sells. At this point all potential buyers would need to be reassured. and a 3rd party grade would provide that. It's your book, do what you will, but it seems to me that a $100 investment on a book you value at 5k would only help your chances. But again, it's your book, not mine.

Since you asked thoughts on this, I'd say it's probably worth getting that back crease pressed out the the greatest extent possible, it's barely visible as I couldn't even see it with my iphone,

It's a color-breaking crease. Pressing won't help much.

I checked the latest Probation List, and didn't see the seller's name anywhere. And he's been posting since 2009 without any complaints I could find.

Probation List

Why publicly slam his prices if he is allowed to ask whatever he wants? If you want to make a lower offer, send a PM.

Let's be fair to the OP, rather than assume low-post-count means scammer or crook.

:foryou:

Once again, lower post count seems to lead to people slamming a seller's prices openly rather than sending the person a PM with questions.

Moving Sale thread

This is what I meant when explaining to Sharon how such people are treated at times. Those could have been slabbed books and some would still dive on the OP just because they want the books at lower/common-market prices.

And the OP even posted photos to clearly display what is being sold. Even answering all questions publicly about defects, which in my opinion shows he is trying to provide a feeling of trust to anyone visiting the thread.

So why are people thinking it is okay to kick the out of him in the sales thread on prices? Low post count.

And I admit - this is an extreme example since the book prices are so high. But where is that line where forumites don't jump on someone like this?

Edited by Bosco685

I'm not 100% sure that any book I have or sell is unrestored, and that includes any CGC blue label book.

I checked the latest Probation List, and didn't see the seller's name anywhere. And he's been posting since 2009 without any complaints I could find.

Probation List

Why publicly slam his prices if he is allowed to ask whatever he wants? If you want to make a lower offer, send a PM.

Let's be fair to the OP, rather than assume low-post-count means scammer or crook.

:foryou:

word

I'm still pretty new around here but my impressions thus far are that this an environment that promotes free enterprise. The seller can ask whatever price he wants, fully disclosing the AV4's flaws, and it's up to the educated masses on these boards to decide if that book and price interests them. No one is being forced to buy anything.

Some serious threadcrapping going on here over nothing more than price and by folks that don't look like serious buyers.

I know that it can be hard to sell things here for anything other than a giveaway price, but when did that morph into it being illegal to ask whatever price you want for your own property?

I don't see how having 500 posts or 50,000 posts would make a difference if the only complaint is price.

Was there some claim against the seller other than a high price? When were the "Forum Price Police" appointed? I must have been in the bathroom.

Some serious threadcrapping going on here over nothing more than price and by folks that don't look like serious buyers.

I know that it can be hard to sell things here for anything other than a giveaway price, but when did that morph into it being illegal to ask whatever price you want for your own property?

I don't see how having 500 posts or 50,000 posts would make a difference if the only complaint is price.

Was there some claim against the seller other than a high price? When were the "Forum Price Police" appointed? I must have been in the bathroom.

The older you get, the more time you spend in there so ... it's possible? :shrug:

Since you asked thoughts on this, I'd say it's probably worth getting that back crease pressed out the the greatest extent possible, it's barely visible as I couldn't even see it with my iphone,

It's a color-breaking crease. Pressing won't help much.

Judging from the scan the crease lays very flat. If it has not been pressed already, the crease has been present for a long time and gravity has taken over.

I agree completely with what you say, but at what point do we allow common sense and decency to go out the window?

I agree completely with what you say, but at what point do we allow common sense and decency to go out the window?

Common sense rarely enters into a hobby where a 1/32" crease changes a price by thousands of dollars on a book about a guy who wears tights and lives in a cave and people still want to be like him.

Decency tells me, that unless the guy is lying, hiding something, or being otherwise deceptive, that he can ask whatever he wants. I have seen far more egregious pricing, with worse grading and disclosure of flaws on any given convention floor. The difference is, no one is standing next to their booth yelling to everyone passing by about how crazy the prices are. lol

Until this seller lies, cheats, or tries to steal common sense tells me he can ask whatever he wants for his property and decency prevents me from imposing my opinion on his prices on his sales thread.