• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Until this seller lies, cheats, or tries to steal common sense tells me he can ask whatever he wants for his property and decency prevents me from imposing my opinion on his prices on his sales thread.

Exactly! Which is why I checked the Probation List first, and didn't find any mention of this seller. I couldn't understand why so many did the pile-on shuffle.

I'm not sure if my post count is high enough to comment, but shouldn't a simple, polite PM be sent to the seller expressing any concerns instead of bashing someone in their sales thread?

One would think. I might be recollecting incorrectly, but the one time I do think it's appropriate has been the way Mike/ Comicdonna has handled this when seeing a Probation List member selling in the marketplace. He'll post a template response notifying members that the seller has violated community rules about selling / buying in the marketplace, and that's about it.

Also, I'm fairly certain the reason we have a General Discussion thread in the marketplace was to be able to talk about the sales taking place without crowding out someone's individual sales thread. Perhaps, we should consider simply posting a polite link to this thread if someone's sales are under question? For example:

"There is a community discussion about this sales thread. If you are interested, please follow this link. [iNSERT LINK HERE]"

Then, there would be no need for threadkrapping, but members could still feel as though they've done due diligence in notifying other members of sales threads that may be of concern to the unsuspecting buyer.

Thoughts?

One would think. I might be recollecting incorrectly, but the one time I do think it's appropriate has been the way Mike/ Comicdonna has handled this when seeing a Probation List member selling in the marketplace. He'll post a template response notifying members that the seller has violated community rules about selling / buying in the marketplace, and that's about it.

Do you mean this? We have a standard template recommended by Arch when someone is violating any sales rules.

Some serious threadcrapping going on here over nothing more than price and by folks that don't look like serious buyers.

I know that it can be hard to sell things here for anything other than a giveaway price, but when did that morph into it being illegal to ask whatever price you want for your own property?

I don't see how having 500 posts or 50,000 posts would make a difference if the only complaint is price.

Was there some claim against the seller other than a high price? When were the "Forum Price Police" appointed? I must have been in the bathroom.

I agree completely with what you say, but at what point do we allow common sense and decency to go out the window?

Common sense rarely enters into a hobby where a 1/32" crease changes a price by thousands of dollars on a book about a guy who wears tights and lives in a cave and people still want to be like him.

Decency tells me, that unless the guy is lying, hiding something, or being otherwise deceptive, that he can ask whatever he wants. I have seen far more egregious pricing, with worse grading and disclosure of flaws on any given convention floor. The difference is, no one is standing next to their booth yelling to everyone passing by about how crazy the prices are. lol

Until this seller lies, cheats, or tries to steal common sense tells me he can ask whatever he wants for his property and decency prevents me from imposing my opinion on his prices on his sales thread.

I disagree. If enough sellers were to adopt that philosophy and hope for the "sucker" to take the bait the sales forum would quickly become a joke.

For a group that feels it is OK to ask whatever a seller wants for his books, many seem to have no problem pointing out absurd pricing on ebay auctions/big dealer sites in comics general.

If you want to be taken seriously act in a manner that allows it.

Do you mean this? We have a standard template recommended by Arch when someone is violating any sales rules.

That's the template for rules violations that I was referring to, and it must have been Mike who posted it the last time or two that I saw it in use. (thumbs u

So, I'm suggesting we have a much more concise one for threads where a number of community members are concerned without dumping in someone's thread.

"no one is standing next to their booth yelling to everyone passing by about how crazy the prices are."

This is a fair point, and using a template takes this into account. We might not do this at the shows, but we can certainly take the discussions to places like Annie's List, Yelp, or these boards.

Edited by Mac Man

Some serious threadcrapping going on here over nothing more than price and by folks that don't look like serious buyers.

I know that it can be hard to sell things here for anything other than a giveaway price, but when did that morph into it being illegal to ask whatever price you want for your own property?

I don't see how having 500 posts or 50,000 posts would make a difference if the only complaint is price.

Was there some claim against the seller other than a high price? When were the "Forum Price Police" appointed? I must have been in the bathroom.

I agree completely with what you say, but at what point do we allow common sense and decency to go out the window?

Common sense rarely enters into a hobby where a 1/32" crease changes a price by thousands of dollars on a book about a guy who wears tights and lives in a cave and people still want to be like him.

Decency tells me, that unless the guy is lying, hiding something, or being otherwise deceptive, that he can ask whatever he wants. I have seen far more egregious pricing, with worse grading and disclosure of flaws on any given convention floor. The difference is, no one is standing next to their booth yelling to everyone passing by about how crazy the prices are. lol

I disagree. If enough sellers were to adopt that philosophy and hope for the "sucker" to take the bait the sales forum would quickly become a joke.

Was anything in the seller's description deceptive? I didn't see anything.

I have my hands full enough on this board pointing out actual scammers, liars and cheats. lol

I can't imagine anything that would make me think I was the arbiter of another person's sales thread in order to "save" some 40-something who's already wasted most of his life and money on comic books to not waste even more simply because the price is higher than the expected norm.

These are regular 40 year olds buying books, right? Not the short bus variety?

"Sucker"? :facepalm: My white knight suit of armor is in the shop. All this guy is doing is asking what he wants for his own book.

And the issue is really, doing it IN HIS THREAD. The comment about Ebay sellers with wacky prices being posted here is just that. A discussion, away from the seller's area.

Just like people do at conventions, we are free to talk as much smack about a guy behind his back as we want. It's when we cross into the seller's thread, when he hasn't lied or cheated, that the line of decency is crossed.

I have my hands full enough on this board pointing out actual scammers, liars and cheats. lol

I can't imagine anything that would make me think I was the arbiter of another person's sales thread in order to "save" some 40-something who's already wasted most of his life and money on comic books to not waste even more simply because the price is higher than the expected norm.

"Sucker"? :facepalm: My white knight suit of armor is in the shop. All this guy is doing is asking what he wants for his own book.

And the issue is really, doing it IN HIS THREAD. The comment about Ebay sellers with wacky prices being posted here is just that. A discussion, away from the seller's area.

Just like people do at conventions, we are free to talk as much smack about a guy behind his back as we want. It's when we cross into the seller's thread, when he hasn't lied or cheated, that the line of decency is crossed.

At this point I will agree to disagree. I am going to put on some DEET and a mosquito net and enjoy the day.

Fighting for logic, thread after thread! :baiting:

5dc7f26c.jpg

:gossip: you're outnumbered.

That's the template for rules violations that I was referring to, and it must have been Mike who posted it the last time or two that I saw it in use. (thumbs u

So, I'm suggesting we have a much more concise one for threads where a number of community members are concerned without dumping in someone's thread.

"no one is standing next to their booth yelling to everyone passing by about how crazy the prices are."

This is a fair point, and using a template takes this into account. We might not do this at the shows, but we can certainly take the discussions to places like Annie's List, Yelp, or these boards.

Should a sellers asking price and post count be added to the rules then? If I'm correct, the seller in question has violated no rules for the selling forum.

5dc7f26c.jpg

Is it that time of the season again?

:ohnoez:

5dc7f26c.jpg

Is it that time of the season again?

:ohnoez:

OMYGODILOVESTARTREKMUSTWATCHNOWALLDAYLONG!!!!

Interesting point. I've often had to fight the urge to open my mouth when I see hugely overgraded books in the Marketplace, or descriptions with the ubiquitous 'Could use a press" when it's clear a pressing would do jack. So for these kinds of threads it would be ok to start a conversation in this thread right here about a certain seller's sales thread ?

Interesting point. I've often had to fight the urge to open my mouth when I see hugely overgraded books in the Marketplace, or descriptions with the ubiquitous 'Could use a press" when it's clear a pressing would do jack. So for these kinds of threads it would be ok to start a conversation in this thread right here about a certain seller's sales thread ?

Asking a seller how they came upon their grade, or asking if they noticed X crease, or Y stain, is a legitimate query.

Ultimately, if everything is disclosed by the seller and large scans provided, it will be up to the buyer to agree or disagree with the grade and to buy or not to buy. Usually I ask grading questions in private if I am very interested in a book. Then I will get an email when the question is answered.

Asking a seller how they came upon their grade, or asking if they noticed X crease, or Y stain, is a legitimate query.

Ultimately, if everything is disclosed by the seller and large scans provided, it will be up to the buyer to agree or disagree with the grade and to buy or not to buy. Usually I ask grading questions in private if I am very interested in a book. Then I will get an email when the question is answered.

Do you still get the emails? I stopped getting them a little while ago for some reason. I think my work might be filtering them out.

Should a sellers asking price and post count be added to the rules then? If I'm correct, the seller in question has violated no rules for the selling forum.

No, post count shouldn't be included at all, IMO. Additionally, the only aspect of pricing that need be included in forum guidelines already is--a price must be listed that the seller will sell the item for. If someone wants to price something at an outrageous amount, that's his or her call.

I'm only suggesting this as a means of redirecting commentary about a seller's thread to the correct place--here, and not in his or her's sales thread.

It is thread crapping. Seller is doing nothing wrong as it isn't against any rules to overprice books. Leave him alone and his lack of sales will convince him to move on or question his pricing.

No, post count shouldn't be included at all, IMO. Additionally, the only aspect of pricing that need be included in forum guidelines already is--a price must be listed that the seller will sell the item for. If someone wants to price something at an outrageous amount, that's his or her call.

I'm only suggesting this as a means of redirecting commentary about a seller's thread to the correct place--here, and not in his or her's sales thread.

I agree that some folks were a bit out of line...felt adding a comment would only make it worse so I avoided the thread entirely. Yes the price was way out of line...and in my mind the reasoning for such was pretty poor (pricing as if the back cover did not exist :eyeroll: ) Nonetheless, he did everything he was supposed to do...full disclosure, attempts to reassure buyers with further info/discussion, etc. At that point, it is his chunk of internet real estate and our agreed upon etiquette here is to leave him alone (and honestly the thread would have died a quick death if not for the pricing comments). Hell he even ran a grading thread on the book (the link to it was posted late, but it had been there all along for the dilligent buyer to find by checking his previous posts).

Anyway, the one thing I will throw in here (since the above has been said by others) is that post count DOES matter. I know we want to treat everyone equally, but the simple fact of the matter is that if you come in just to sell or buy (not saying that was the case here, just generally speaking) it raises a red flag during your first bit of time here. I routinely post in threads of those individuals (that have something I am considering) asking about references/feedback. I do not do that with long-standing boardies (even if it is my first transaction with them, since I have seen them successfully complete others). Anyway, that concern is triggered almost solely by post count/registration date (sometimes people jack their posts up quick in the testing threads and whatnot). I try to be polite about the request, and suggest that contributing to the community would put more buyers at ease and increase the likelihood of their thread being a success, but I do factor that information in :foryou:

I agree that some folks were a bit out of line...felt adding a comment would only make it worse so I avoided the thread entirely. Yes the price was way out of line...and in my mind the reasoning for such was pretty poor (pricing as if the back cover did not exist :eyeroll: ) Nonetheless, he did everything he was supposed to do...full disclosure, attempts to reassure buyers with further info/discussion, etc. At that point, it is his chunk of internet real estate and our agreed upon etiquette here is to leave him alone (and honestly the thread would have died a quick death if not for the pricing comments). Hell he even ran a grading thread on the book (the link to it was posted late, but it had been there all along for the dilligent buyer to find by checking his previous posts).

Anyway, the one thing I will throw in here (since the above has been said by others) is that post count DOES matter. I know we want to treat everyone equally, but the simple fact of the matter is that if you come in just to sell or buy (not saying that was the case here, just generally speaking) it raises a red flag during your first bit of time here. I routinely post in threads of those individuals (that have something I am considering) asking about references/feedback. I do not do that with long-standing boardies (even if it is my first transaction with them, since I have seen them successfully complete others). Anyway, that concern is triggered almost solely by post count/registration date (sometimes people jack their posts up quick in the testing threads and whatnot). I try to be polite about the request, and suggest that contributing to the community would put more buyers at ease and increase the likelihood of their thread being a success, but I do factor that information in :foryou:

I hear you; however, I'm still hesitant to attach post count to any level of credibility. We have members populating the Probation List and Hall of Shame who have quite high post counts. We have other members who've run up their post counts, but rarely (if ever) participate in discussions outside of their own sales threads--not the most community-minded. I've also sold to and purchased from new members w/o hassle.

But I agree in that low post counts and new registration dates do cause me to ask for a reference. And asking for a reference is (at least in my opinion) fully germane to a sale's thread and is not out of line. :)