• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

So this is about someone that potentially was claiming a charity for children, and then it turns out it may not be a charity?

As a parent, this would make me very sad if this was the case as I give to children-focused charities for this very reason. It could be one of mine sick if not for the grace of - well - I'll leave the religious mention out so nobody gets upset.

Some Non profits may also be a charity or service organization; they may be organized as a not-for-profit corporation or as a trust, a cooperative, or they exist informally

We are informal until we refile new Articles, and then file for IRS recognition.

See you tonight :)

If that's true, and you are acting informally, and not as a corporation then why does the description of Comics4kids on the Wizard World site for the NO show mention that you are :

Established in 1996, Comics4kids, Inc.

Link ??

(shrug)

Can you understand how the cloudy information flow, and stating you are a corporation when you aren't, etc. might give people the wrong impression?

Even the best intentions can fall on their face without follow through.

Okay, I have a question. If I have a sales thread, should I be able to refuse to sell to any particular member(s)? I'm talking about boardies who are not on the PL or HoS, but who just kinda make me nervous. There are some repeat thread krappers and strange posters who just seem like they could easily be hassles to deal with.

If it is cool to refuse to sell, when do I have to state that? It can't be the right move to list their names in the first post. Is it cool to PM them if they post a :takeit:?

Thoughts?

Okay, I have a question. If I have a sales thread, should I be able to refuse to sell to any particular member(s)? I'm talking about boardies who are not on the PL or HoS, but who just kinda make me nervous. There are some repeat thread krappers and strange posters who just seem like they could easily be hassles to deal with.

If it is cool to refuse to sell, when do I have to state that? It can't be the right move to list their names in the first post. Is it cool to PM them if they post a :takeit:?

Thoughts?

VERY good question...I don't sell comics, but have often thought this exact same question.

There are a number of people on the boards that have a lilly-white record concerning buying/selling books but who I feel are complete assclowns and I wouldn't on them if they were on fire.

After 10 years in this merry playground I have a few people on ignore, some have been there for over 5 years, but they could still,theoretically, bid on stuff I put up for sale.

I really wouldn't want to sell to them, but trouble is how do you stop them. Sure you can put up a list with names that you won't sell to, but I'm pretty sure that would lead to the opening of a can of very slimy worms on a biblical scale.

Tough question...

Thoughts?

VERY good question...I don't sell comics, but have often thought this exact same question.

There are a number of people on the boards that have a lilly-white record concerning buying/selling books but who I feel are complete assclowns and I wouldn't on them if they were on fire.

After 10 years in this merry playground I have a few people on ignore, some have been there for over 5 years, but they could still,theoretically, bid on stuff I put up for sale.

I really wouldn't want to sell to them, but trouble is how do you stop them. Sure you can put up a list with names that you won't sell to, but I'm pretty sure that would lead to the opening of a can of very slimy worms on a biblical scale.

Tough question...

Exactly. And I'm also thinking of a few folks who just seem a touch off. They haven't done anything probation worthy yet, but it just seems inevitable.

I've seen people state that "they reserve the right to refuse to sell to certain board members" in their sales threads.

Some have stated it as "PL, HOS & those I have on ignore"

I don't think there's a problem with doing it.

You should be able to sell to whomever you choose. McMiles always includes the following when listing books for sale:

"People on the probation list, or that I may have on ignore, are not eligible to purchase. I also reserve the right to refuse to sell to anyone for any reason."

I've seen people state that "they reserve the right to refuse to sell to certain board members" in their sales threads.

I've seen this before as well, and at first I thought it was the solution...but somebody you have on ignore will only know it when he tries to PM you and gets bounced. And this will be after he/she (ok, who am I kidding, it will be a "he") puts the :takeit:

I'm all for not selling to people you don't want to do business with, but there will be huge uproar and the usual troublemakers coming out of the woodwork defending the blocked user's right to buy a certain item as he was the first to take it.

Thoughts?

To all Alan Moore fans. :sorry: It was a joke :cry:

From yesterday's Alan Moore discussion

I loved Alan Moore's Watchmen movie. :cloud9:

Didn't know there was a comic.

That's it!!! You're going on the list.

Thoughts?

To all Alan Moore fans. :sorry: It was a joke :cry:

From yesterday's Alan Moore discussion

I loved Alan Moore's Watchmen movie. :cloud9:

Didn't know there was a comic.

That's it!!! You're going on the list.

You're on twice now, Chuckles!!! lol

Thoughts?

Yes. Simply state in you opening post that you have the right to refuse to sell to anyone for any reason.

Thoughts?

Yes. Simply state in you opening post that you have the right to refuse to sell to anyone for any reason.

Okay, so say someone I don't want to sell to puts up the :takeit: on a comic. I can follow that post with a comment that it's still available? It seems mean. I suppose I can keep it vague, just say it's still available with no reason...Still, I could see it turning into a thread-derailing battle.

I did exactly this with my last sales thread. I don't sell that often but if I have someone on ignore, there's a reason for it.

I was informed by another member that a person I was ignoring commented on it in another thread. He apparently tried to PM about a something I listed and was displeased with the fact that he couldn't.

Thoughts?

Okay, so say someone I don't want to sell to puts up the :takeit: on a comic. I can follow that post with a comment that it's still available? It seems mean. I suppose I can keep it vague, just say it's still available with no reason...Still, I could see it turning into a thread-derailing battle.

That's the tricky part.

That's where I think you need to PM the person who posted it & kindly ask them to remove the :takeit: ; if they refuse your request then you publicly say 'sorry you are on ignore book is still available'.

I think it's unfair to state that the book is available thus making it appear than the buyer didn't follow through.

I think this advice is more important when the only reason for not selling is 'dislike' rather than any suspicion of 'shadiness'; I would hope most people wouldn't use not liking someone as a reason to not sell to them but I am guessing that may be the case with some people here.

2c

Thoughts?

That's the tricky part.

That's where I think you need to PM the person who posted it & kindly ask them to remove the :takeit: ; if they refuse your request then you publicly say 'sorry you are on ignore book is still available'.

I think it's unfair to state that the book is available thus making it appear than the buyer didn't follow through.

I think this advice is more important when the only reason for not selling is 'dislike' rather than any suspicion of 'shadiness'; I would hope most people wouldn't use not liking someone as a reason to not sell to them but I am guessing that may be the case with some people here.

2c

Dislike would not be the criteria in my example. I get a shady feeling from a small number of people around here, and I'd much prefer just not to do business with them. I feel like a deal could get strung out, or canceled, or wind up in Comics General for who knows what reason, who knows how long after the sale. If possible, it'd be better just to avoid it all together.