• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I'm going to split this into two posts. One pertaining strictly to Greg. One pertaining strictly to Frank. I'm going to post only facts that I know to be true, which unfortunately is going to leave a lot out. But it's the only way to be fair to Frank.

Greg Palma

He contacted me regarding a CraigsList ad I posted about some comic books I was looking to sell. He came over a number of times after that, and at the time, I thought that he and I had become friends. He ate dinner at our house. He confided in me that his comic store wasn't doing well. He couldn't find enough inventory and he was worried he was going to be able to pay his rent. Feeling bad for someone who I thought was my friend, I started giving him books to sell in his store on consignment. The first two weeks I received a few hundred dollars. After that nothing. When all was said and done, I had given Greg roughly $30,000 in books to consign, and all I received back was approximately $200 or so.

When I began seeing books no longer on the wall but no money coming in, I eventually decided to pull the plug on the arrangement and asked Greg to return my books to me. The day after I asked Greg to return the books, his store was closed. I only ever found 5 of the books I gave him. 2 that he pawned at a local pawn store the day he got them, and 3 others that he had sold. The rest were somehow sold privately. Everything I gave Greg was written down, signed for by him, and dated.

I would frequently get calls after the store was closed down from a friend of mine that worked across the street from the store. He would see Greg show up in front of the store at random hours on random days to sell what "looked like comic books" out of the back of his car outside the store and then after a short time would drive away.

I confronted Greg about this several times after it happened. Once at his house, once at his store. When I met him at his store he took me into the back room and showed me what he said was an "unliscenced" gun and two bullet holes in the back wall. He told me on more than one occasion that he had strong ties to the mafia (and on one occasion that he was a member himself) When I tried to get the books back, on several occasions Greg made comments that were clearly threats regarding both my and my family's safety. Looking back I don't know how much of this was for show. But it was worrisome enough that I never went to a lawyer or the police and we spent a lot of money on a top of the line alarm system.

I found out afterwards that I was not the first person who had accused Greg of stealing comics. I also heard about a kid who claims Greg stole from him several months afterwards. So it does not appear our incident was a one time thing.

In addition to comics, Greg Palma has a criminal record the extent of which I am unaware of. I only know this because of little bits and pieces that Greg and Frank have told me and the fact that the former Greece chief of police knew Greg Palma personally (and not in a good way) and Greg mentioned several times during the months I knew him that he felt the Greece Police were harassing him, though he would not say for what.

Regarding the comics and the money there was no misunderstanding. This has always been more of a local issue so I've never brought it up here on the boards and only a few of my closest friends were ever made aware of it.

Greg's response whenever confronted about this by someone in Rochester who didn't know either one of us very well, is that he gave me all the money back, in cash, with no receipts, but that I am secretly a Meth addict and that every time Greg paid me back I was too high and simply forgot I had been paid back. He's had 6 years to come up with a better response but that was his version at the time.

There was no misunderstanding. And Greg is not some good, upstanding citizen. Frank's version of events now (it was different at the time) is that he is completely unaware of anything that his brother has done.

Frank Palma:

Here's a post from Frank earlier today.

Wow, I can't believe I have to defend this but here goes: That collection and incident adam is talking about is a gentleman in upstate NY. He had a nice collection of 1950s comics. SEVERAL people from Flea Markets to comc shops knew of the collection. The guy was hard to deal with and his phone number was passed from dealer to dealer because no one could work a deal with the gentleman. My Brother received his phone # from another dealer and gave it his best shot and actually bought some books from the man. Adam actually ended up with those books with me! and sold them rt here on this forum board! My Brother tried to purchase more and the guy didn't want to sell so my Brother, as SEVERAL ppl did before him, gave the number to the next guy. Well at some point his # ended up in the wrong hands and the guy got robbed. The guy who did it was procecuted and is in jail, thankfully. So if my Brother is guilty of anything, it is giving a phone to the wrong person just like about 6 ppl did before him. What happened was a shame but had nothing to do with my Brother and he was never arrested in any way shape or form from this. As a matter of fact, the old guy told the police the next day when the crime was reported, that the only person personally dealt with was my Brother and said he was honest and had no ill feelings about him. Adam and my Brother had a string of deals they were doing together, large $$ deals, all intertwined. Me? I wasn't a part of any of those deals. I sold Adam a spiderman run and and was my only other dealing with Adam. Adam is angry, rightfully so in his head. My Brother is also angry and his side of the story with Adam is VASTLY different. So please guys, leave ME alone about this.. Thanks.

Frank is correct when he says that deal was between me and his brother and I understand Frank's desire to stay out of it. The only motivation behind my original post was as a warning to fellow board members. I don't dislike Frank.

At the time that Greg, Frank and I bought some books from Homer's collection, Greg told me he was the ONLY person who knew about the collection. In a PM from Frank to me last night, Frank's exact words were:

"My Brother apparently did give Rico (the person arrested for the crime) that phone number but NEVER had anything to do with it at all in any way. Of course he was questioned about it duh, and they told him that he is in no way associated and appreciated his cooperation, end of story. " Which in the post above changed to:

"Well at some point his # ended up in the wrong hands and the guy got robbed."

I am not accusing anyone of anything relating to that crime by the way (and in hindsight I wish I had left this entire part out of my first message) I'm mentioning it now because this is what my relationship with Frank has been like since the theft. Statements that while not really outright lies also don't fully represent the full truth.

When Greg first stole from me I met Frank at a restaraunt at which point he told me Greg had gotten into similar trouble before. Our conversation got cut short because I received a phone call that Greg was back outside his store selling comics and I left to head down there. Frank told me I should not go to the store by myself because he was worried about his brother's temper, and he offered to mediate the situation before it escalated. Now Frank is claiming he knows and knew nothing.

When Frank says he got out of comics in 2006 and did not run the store with his brother Greg in 2008/2009 he is telling the truth. It was right next door to the store that the two of them ran together, but by 2008 Frank was no longer running it. It was just Greg. However, the one collection I bought with Greg in 2009 was done at Frank's store. Prior to 2006 they worked at a store together for many years called the Palma Brothers. And Greg still works at Frank's store as of today. None of this means Frank had any association with what Greg did to me in 2008/2009. but they work together more closely than Frank's posts would infer.

Greg is the one who stole from me, not Frank. Frank was in my opinion dishonest about it, but to the best of my knowledge, Frank has never stolen from anyone. To what extent Frank is aware of his brother's dealings, only Frank knows.

Adam, your relationship with me since the theft? I don't think I have spoken a single word to you or heard a word FROM you since the "theft". The books we bought together was at my warehouse in 08-09. and yes, the phone number of that gentleman was given to my Brother from Vic and to Vic from some guys at the flea market in Buffalo and those guys from someone else in Rochester. My Brother gave it to 2 other people, one of which was the guy that got arrested. Ummmm, that is exactly what I said! Don't make it look like I am saying some sort of lie. That is what I said in my thread and to you! So yes, I was absolutely correct in stating that the phone ended up in the wrong persons hands. Do you really think anyone could anticipate that would happen? And I appreciate you at least owning up to the fact that you were wrong in throwing accusations out about any of us being involved in that crime. And yes, my Brother does have a different take on things. He did tell me that you have a substance prob, I have never witnessed this and I am not saying you do. Who knows and who cares, do what you want in your private life. I told him yesterday about your post and he said stay away from that kid he's trouble. Again, I never witnessed anything. He did also say that re: $$ that you apparently got screwed by some OTHER guy in NYC (weird how you seem to be getting screwed by all these ppl) and he helped recover a large chunk of that $$ for you and you had promised to give him a % of what he could help recover and you never did. Again, this is heresay, I have no clue if it is true. I do not ever recall saying that my Brother stole comics from someone ever. I only met you that day to try to act as a mediator to try to help resolve the issues you guys had and avoid any further harm. Lastly my Brother is 5'6 and I personally have never witnessed him threaten anyone. ha. And as far as criminal activity goes: unless you consider traffic tix criminal, then no, he does not have a record in any way shape or form. No clue what your talking about with Greece police.

I disagree, quality at good prices is all that matters. Hopefully people can see through the BS. Who knows. This is "fun" for me, not my business and I enjoy it. If ppl like my comics and continue to receive them in a timely manner and as described, I would beg to differ that statement :)

Frank

I disagree, quality at good prices is all that matters. Hopefully people can see through the BS. Who knows. This is "fun" for me, not my business and I enjoy it. If ppl like my comics and continue to receive them in a timely manner and as described, I would beg to differ that statement :)

Frank

The only BS I'm noticing is yours.Many if not all,including myself believe Adam to have an impeccable reputation here.I will believe Adam over you and your criminal brother any day,and by the way I don't believe that you knew nothing about what happened between Adam and your brother. (tsk)

And I do have quite a large collection of raw original owner books to sell from the 30's - 60s. . If you don't trust me, don't like me or can't read between the lines here then I would suggest you put me on some sort of block so you don't have to see my stuff.. Otherwise, let the books, my reputation and my service speak for itself.

And I do have quite a large collection of raw original owner books to sell from the 30's - 60s. . If you don't trust me, don't like me or can't read between the lines here then I would suggest you put me on some sort of block so you don't have to see my stuff.. Otherwise, let the books, my reputation and my service speak for itself.

Yeah your reputation is speaking loud and clear,maybe you should consider selling your wares over at ComicCollectorLive. We don't need your kind here. :taptaptap:

Frank

Translation = cool books

New sales thread tomorrow. Keys and some GA.

I think Mr Oakman is getting :mad: Don't worry, I'll still sell to you if you want my books. "Your kind" is always welcomed here with me. Come on, I am feeling so much love from all my new friends. I spent the day on here having a blast. Took my daughter to the new cap America movie tonight and she loved it. It was a comic-al day. :banana:

New sales thread tomorrow. Keys and some GA.

I think Mr Oakman is getting :mad: Don't worry, I'll still sell to you if you want my books. "Your kind" is always welcomed here with me. Come on, I am feeling so much love from all my new friends. I spent the day on here having a blast. Took my daughter to the new cap America movie tonight and she loved it. It was a comic-al day. :banana:

No thanks.