• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I think some people think that once something is 'on hold', the book is not on sale at that time, and offers (unconditional or otherwise) are not being accepted AT ALL. To the seller, and many others, the book is not for sale right at that moment.

If you make an offer on a book that's not RIGHT AT THIS MOMENT FOR SALE, that's all you've done. You're not accepting the offer of a seller and creating a contract. You're making an offer TO the potential seller to buy at a certain price, which they can accept or decline or ignore.

+1

I'm not a fan of queuing up in sales threads, and I agree with ^ this interpretation of 'ON HOLD.' To avoid this mess, I've started putting the following clause in my sales thread rules:

"My definition of ON HOLD is that the book is not available for purchase by anyone else until the books comes OFF HOLD...therefore, I'll ignore any thread posts or PMs related to a book ON HOLD until the book comes OFF HOLD (i.e., there's no "queuing up" for a held book); in other words, if discussions break down on a held book, I'll post OFF HOLD in the thread, and then we'll start again from there."

Of course, if the seller didn't put this in the rules... (shrug)

I think some people think that once something is 'on hold', the book is not on sale at that time, and offers (unconditional or otherwise) are not being accepted AT ALL. To the seller, and many others, the book is not for sale right at that moment.

If you make an offer on a book that's not RIGHT AT THIS MOMENT FOR SALE, that's all you've done. You're not accepting the offer of a seller and creating a contract. You're making an offer TO the potential seller to buy at a certain price, which they can accept or decline or ignore.

Since we are arguing about technicalities here the fact is the Seller did not put the book 'On Hold'. He said 'Deal pending'. Tuffy posted that if the deal falls through he'll Take It. Seems legit to me. I think the seller does owe an explanation as to his thought process. Not so much for this deal but for future reference. He changed his requirements in the middle of the thread to disqualify Tuffy. If this technique is okay, then anything goes in the future.

Do we know for sure he didn't just miss the post?

I know I've missed posts, it's not hard if there is a lot of stuff going on.

It was brought to his attention in the thread and he just glossed over it saying the first :takeit: from the time the first deal fell through got it.

See my post from 7:55pm yesterday. It was from that point forward that whoever posted the :takeit: got the book. Comeaux was the first one to post it. He gets the book.

Do we know for sure he didn't just miss the post?

I know I've missed posts, it's not hard if there is a lot of stuff going on.

After the seller was asked what happened to Tuffy's Take It he reponded....

See my post from 7:55pm yesterday. It was from that point forward that whoever posted the :takeit: got the book. Comeaux was the first one to post it. He gets the book.

I saw the thread and assumed tuffy wanted time payments or something behind the scenes in a PM because the next post said book still up for sale.

I was considering it myself.

Isn't it up to the seller to decide who he wants to sell to? I know I always say in my threads I refuse the right to sell to you if I don't want to, but is that something that really needs to be said?

Isn't it up to the seller to decide who he wants to sell to? I know I always say in my threads I refuse the right to sell to you if I don't want to, but is that something that really needs to be said?

Well, if you say only that it can at least be consistent as a rule, but if a seller has also said "first unconditional I'll take it gets the book", or something similar, than there is a problem. Some here consider the "I'll take it" to be the same as a BIN, and there is a certain convention here that people are treated equally on that basis.

In other words, if you have no reason to reject a given buyer, than you should honour the first "I'll take it". 2c