• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Fine. The rule is there. Dan didn't do anything wrong, but IMO sided wrong at the end.

I'll recommend to anyone that anyone that ever wants to sell here and keep a good reputation avoid that rule in that vague form. A time stamp should win and I'm guessing most people would agree. There really isn't any reason not to adopt this rule. It will save any seller from this awkward situation and clear rules won't off any buyers.

sage advice

A time stamp should win [...]. There really isn't any reason not to adopt this rule. It will save any seller from this awkward situation

Exactly my point up above there...no question whatsoever that the OP in the thread we're discussing indeed had a clear rule and followed it, and has the right to do so.

I was just similarly opining that I don't understand the logic of using the "first take in the thread wins regardless of PMs" rule formulation (and yes, it's very commonly seen...my point was a general one and not limited to that thread...).

Edited by edowens71

Fine. The rule is there. Dan didn't do anything wrong, but IMO sided wrong at the end.

I'll recommend to anyone that anyone that ever wants to sell here and keep a good reputation avoid that rule in that vague form. A time stamp should win and I'm guessing most people would agree. There really isn't any reason not to adopt this rule. It will save any seller from this awkward situation and clear rules won't off any buyers.

Just hm out loud so feel free to ignore.

Say "time stamp rules"...

Couldn't someone just "cheat" this if they really wanted to?

1) Buyer1 is negotiating back and forth with a seller. Seller counters buyers offer. Buyer counters again.

2) Buyer2 :takeit: in the sales thread. Buyer1 sees this and goes back and edits his post from a counteroffer to read - :takeit:

Doesn't the "timestamp rules all" sort of fail there? (shrug)

I think if a deal was agreed upon between the two, the buyer should ask the seller to mark the thread as "SOLD". 2c

I had to go back and check to see what I usually write...

"First :takeit: on the boards or in a PM wins.

a :takeit: trumps all other negotiations."

There is a reason I cut and paste stuff. Too easy to make things variable. I most probably copied that from someone else.

I thought Mike got the book, but that was because I was interpreting the way I write my rules.

Just hm out loud so feel free to ignore.

Say "time stamp rules"...

Couldn't someone just "cheat" this if they really wanted to?

1) Buyer1 is negotiating back and forth with a seller. Seller counters buyers offer. Buyer counters again.

2) Buyer2 :takeit: in the sales thread. Buyer1 sees this and goes back and edits his post from a counteroffer to read - :takeit:

Doesn't the "timestamp rules all" sort of fail there? (shrug)

I think if a deal was agreed upon between the two, the buyer should ask the seller to mark the thread as "SOLD". 2c

I think it depends on wether the seller saw the Buyer 1's pm before the change. If the Buyer 1 changes before the Seller see it, then its on the buyer to be honest or not. If the seller saw the PM before the change was not a :takeit: then it is up to the seller to be honest and give it to buyer 2.

Thats how I see it.

:takeit: IN the thread trumps any and ALL PM's

This is a standard practice in ALL of my sales threads. I've sold many books here on the Boards, and this is the 1st time this has happened.

I posted the book

Got a lot of nice comments

Got a few PM's (none from roulette44)

Mike PM'ed with a few questions, I answered

I had to run some errands with the wife

I came back, both "i'll take its" were posted, and the drama already started

Had I read Mike's acceptance prior to the "Ill take it" IN the thread, I would have posted it "SOLD via PM" myself. (If I could have even got it up in the few minutes between) Again, check any of my sales threads and see I've done that many times)

Therefore 1st "Ill take it IN the thread wins

Sorry if you don't like the rules I posted, but they were posted

Dan sided completely right given the rule he stated at the beginning of the thread. You may not like like his rule and you may even be correct that the rule is silly BUT it was clearly stated and FOLLOWED. Nothing else to say although I will repeat myself for the guys in the back and to inflate my bloated post count.

Did you counter an offer from Transplant in the PM, and then Transplant agree to it before Joey posted?

Yes, a few minutes prior, but its irrelevant to the rules that were posted at 3:09

:o

This is a little different then the stated rules. A deal was finalized in PM. I change my opinion, I would think the book would go to Transplant. :takeit: in the thread trumps PM negotiations. It seems like negotiations were over and a deal was struck. :eek:

Did you counter an offer from Transplant in the PM, and then Transplant agree to it before Joey posted?

Yes, a few minutes prior, but its irrelevant to the rules that were posted at 3:09

This is a little different then the stated rules. A deal was finalized in PM. I change my opinion, I would think the book would go to Transplant. :takeit: in the thread trumps PM negotiations. It seems like negotiations were over and a deal was struck. :eek:

I agree. Otherwise, sellers are reneging on deals mutually agreed to via private message exchanges.

AGAIN...... I didn't read Mike's "DONE" response in his PM because I was away from the PC. If I had, I would have posted it sold myself. Ive done that MANY times in the past to respect buyers privacy.

Dan's rules were not that the thread :takeit: beat out PM negotiations, it was that the thread :takeit: beat out all PMs. Pretty clear that to win the book in Dan's thread, it had to be announced before anyone else made a claim in the thread.

Some may not like it, but the rules were clear.

A deal was finalized in PM. I change my opinion, I would think the book would go to Transplant. :takeit: in the thread trumps PM negotiations. It seems like negotiations were over and a deal was struck. :eek:

Nope - according to the letter of the rules, Joey gets the book. The rules did not state that a thread take it trumps PM negotiations; rather the rules said that a take it in the thread trumps anything going on in PMs, which includes deals that have been agreed to via PM but not yet posted in the thread. This is what I don't understand...why do sellers keep setting up their rules this way? Senseless drama...ad infinitum...

edit: :grin: typing mine while you were posting yours, asteroid (thumbs u

Edited by edowens71

:takeit: IN the thread trumps any and ALL PM's

This is a standard practice in ALL of my sales threads. I've sold many books here on the Boards, and this is the 1st time this has happened.

I posted the book

Got a lot of nice comments

Got a few PM's (none from roulette44)

Mike PM'ed with a few questions, I answered

I had to run some errands with the wife

I came back, both "i'll take its" were posted, and the drama already started

Had I read Mike's acceptance prior to the "Ill take it" IN the thread, I would have posted it "SOLD via PM" myself. (If I could have even got it up in the few minutes between) Again, check any of my sales threads and see I've done that many times)

Therefore 1st "Ill take it IN the thread wins

Sorry if you don't like the rules I posted, but they were posted

To be clear. I made Dan an offer. He countered saying he would accept that offer if it was not Paypal. I accepted within 3 minutes via PM and more than 10 minutes before Roulette.

It's his sales thread and he can, I guess, run it however he wants. I know what I'm going to do going forward with regard to the seller in question. I also know that running a thread this way encourages sellers to string people along via PM in hopes of getting a higher offer in the thread. Not saying that was his intent. I did not run to thread to post a :takeit: b/c 1) I thought we had an agreed upon deal [i believe SD acknowledges he felt the same way] and 2) I was proceeding through the airport to make a flight. Good for Roulette44. He gets the book I guess. Hope he enjoys it. I asked him to let me know when it's for sale again.

This did not happen, but suppose a seller promises a buyer (who wishes to remain anonymous) that the seller will post a :takeit: in the thread on the buyer's behalf. Seller then waits a day to do so. Would a new buyer in the thread get it, if the seller had the same rules here?

C'est la vie. I've been looking for a nice DD #1 for a while now. This book had characteristics important to me. But, seems this one was not meant to be.