• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

This is the language I used in my recent sales thread -

"First :takeit: in the thread or via PM based on timestamp wins. If the lot goes on hold, that means it is off the market at that time."

Reading back through it, I could have even more clear about what and when a sale is consummated.

I have always agreed sellers should be as clear as possible in their rules post. The "usual rules" frustrates me and opens the door for controversy.

I tend to think Dan followed the rule he posted but I don't personally like the way the rule works, especially when two parties have agreed to something. The seller ruling the other way would have been more wrong than this outcome, in that case the clearly written rule would have to be ignored to give it to someone other than the party who posted the "takeit" in the thread.

The only two reasons to use that rule are use it as leverage to get the asking price OR to make managing the thread easier for a high volume seller.

So when someone say "usual rules" - there are the following variations.

-time stamp wins (thread & PM equal)

-first in the thread wins (trumping all PM deals not posted by seller or buyer)

-unconditional trumps conditional

-pending scan clarification - (accepted or not accepted)

-in thread trumps ongoing negotiations but not done deals (once agreement reached it's sold)

-buyer must post in thread, time stamp determines (no anonymity)

-only first "takeit" counts ie- no line ups or "takeits" accepted while book is sold or on hold

I'm sure there are more. hm

Does everyone agree that "usual rules" means "time stamp" anywhere ? I think that's the most common sense approach & some guys were trying to hammer out a template here a few pages back.

:popcorn:

Yes, I'm a lawyer.

Do you mean my response of m1703.gif or position in general? I didn't understand the analogy in relation to this current mess. If you meant regarding my position, I think a deal was struck and the seller should be accountable for following through on that deal with Transplant. I think it's a situation for both buyers and I've updated my personal list of sellers I won't even bother looking at what they have to sell in the future. I get that he is following his "rules" to a tee, but in some instances common sense trumps self-serving "rules".

At the end of the day it's just 2c

You didn't understand the analogy. (thumbs u

I thought you didn't understand my lack of understanding of the analogy. :ohnoez:

It's already been established the stated rule in the sales thread allows the seller to back out of a deal already established, exonerating the seller.

What really needs to be established and accepted is the rule is stupid and asking for trouble.

It's simple to use the time stamp on a done deal or an I'll take it to determine the winner. This also allows the seller to have a broader audience because a lot of people don't want to buy publicly. If a seller doesn't want offers, then say "Public i'll take its only" or "absolutely no offers via PM, only I'll take its are accepted." The only draw back is it would allow the seller to pretend a book sold via PM in order to get out of a public sale due to some sort of sellers remorse.

I'd also recommend people stop posting sales threads with out scans and allowing the "I'll take it pending scan" Most people don't want to come in and post an unconditional "I'll take it" after some have posted "pending scans", but it happens and it's pretty discourteous IMO.

I don't appreciate the "PM sent" in the public thread by a buyer either. It's a way of playing on those that are courteous and not cut-throat to get them to back off, while you work a deal.

Common sense and common courtesy should prevail, but this is comic books we're talking about and it's been established many times that grandma ain't safe around the stairs when comics are involved.

lol

You have rules.

I have rules.

We all have rules.

They just aren't the same. (shrug)

I always tell buyers to post the :takeit: if I accept any PM terms.

However, if another person chimes in on the sales thread, ahead of any pm agreement, that person wins by default.

Rules are rules.

I don't appreciate the "PM sent" in the public thread by a buyer either. It's a way of playing on those that are courteous and not cut-throat to get them to back off, while you work a deal.

Yeah, what's the value of publicly posting "PM sent?" If you want to make the deal privately, then do so via PM. Posting that you are being private is counterintuitive. I assume MCMiles is correct and it is being used as a way to stake a claim without making any kind of commitment.

Yeah, what's the value of publicly posting "PM sent?" If you want to make the deal privately, then do so via PM. Posting that you are being private is counterintuitive. I assume MCMiles is correct and it is being used as a way to stake a claim without making any kind of commitment.

There is the opposite effect of posting that too.

A "PM sent" post could be the work of a "PM pal" to nudge other people to act. Since we're discussing cut-throat tactics.

(shrug)

This has happened before, so I use the following in my threads:

" :takeit: Rules the day over PM negotiations. Time stamps are the be-all, end-all way of determining a sale. If an I'll Take It is posted in a PM and posted in the thread, that book will go to the post with earliest time stamp."

This also requires the buyer to explicitly say :takeit: via PM to seal the deal.

Which is what I do when I'm negotiating to buy something. I will make an offer and throw up an :takeit: in the same PM.

I've gone through many instances where people make an "offer" and when you accept it, they change their mind. (twice in my last rounds of sales). So, I require the use of the I'll Take It guy, as people seem to have different ideas of what financial commitments are required by 'making an offer'.

What about when someone says that they'll 99% sure they'll buy said item from you, but need a few days to pay for it? And poof....nothing

(shrug)

Then it's up to the seller to choose to put it on hold or leave it on the market.

I don't sell much, but when I come to an agreement with someone via PM, then the book is sold no matter what happens thereafter in the thread. Once that happens, I'll ask a buyer to post an I'll Take It, or if they want to remain anonymous, I'll post a Sold via PM. If someone comes along and posts I'll Take It in the thread before a deal is reached, it's theirs. Timestamp is king.

Bottom line: if I agree to a deal, I stand by it. I mean, if you don't have your word then what do you have?

What about when someone says that they'll 99% sure they'll buy said item from you, but need a few days to pay for it? And poof....nothing

They became part of the 1% gang. ;)

I don't sell much, but when I come to an agreement with someone via PM, then the book is sold no matter what happens thereafter in the thread. Once that happens, I'll ask a buyer to post an I'll Take It, or if they want to remain anonymous, I'll post a Sold via PM. If someone comes along and posts I'll Take It in the thread before a deal is reached, it's theirs. Timestamp is king.

Bottom line: if I agree to a deal, I stand by it. I mean, if you don't have your word then what do you have?

He was in a position to break his word in either situation.

Just to refresh memories:

:takeit: IN the thread trumps any and ALL PM's

Dan has been using this phrase since 3/19/2012

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=252304&Number=5537444#Post5537444

My take is:

1) The rules/conditions regarding PM vs :takeit: were very clearly stated in the sales thread. There was no ambiguity there. It was not in teeny text away or otherwise camouflaged. I dislike the rule itself but applaud its clarity.

2) It is the responsibility of the buyer to read and understand the conditions established in any sales thread. The conditions were very plainly stated.

It wasn't finalized.

Sure it was, if a counter or condition, gets a "takeit" response then it is finalized.

It doesn't change the fact that we agree on this & we also agree that the seller ruling the other way would be worse.

My position is based on his rule establishing a pecking order by location not time stamp.

A "takeit" doesn't need an "OK" response or some virtual handshake to be finaliized, that would only be necessary if there was a lack of clarity.

Just to refresh memories:

:takeit: IN the thread trumps any and ALL PM's

Dan has been using this phrase since 3/19/2012

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=252304&Number=5537444#Post5537444

My take is:

1) The rules/conditions regarding PM vs :takeit: were very clearly stated in the sales thread. There was no ambiguity there. It was not in teeny text away or otherwise camouflaged. I dislike the rule itself but applaud its clarity.

2) It is the responsibility of the buyer to read and understand the conditions established in any sales thread. The conditions were very plainly stated.

Then he should explain that he is not going to take negotiations seriously. They reached an agreement. Transplant accepted whatever terms and committed, afterwards he changes it up. Why negotiate?