• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Just to refresh memories:

:takeit: IN the thread trumps any and ALL PM's

Dan has been using this phrase since 3/19/2012

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=252304&Number=5537444#Post5537444

My take is:

1) The rules/conditions regarding PM vs :takeit: were very clearly stated in the sales thread. There was no ambiguity there. It was not in teeny text away or otherwise camouflaged. I dislike the rule itself but applaud its clarity.

2) It is the responsibility of the buyer to read and understand the conditions established in any sales thread. The conditions were very plainly stated.

Then he should explain that he is not going to take negotiations seriously. They reached an agreement. Transplant accepted whatever terms and committed, afterwards he changes it up. Why negotiate?

Looking at Dan's past sales where this phrase is used, a slew of sales have been finalized by the PM negotiation. So negotiation via PM do have a history of working.

As I said, I dislike the rule. I would much prefer to see a simple time-stamp based decision. But we are pretty much all adults, with many dealing in 4 and 5 figure books. They should have the ability to read the disclaimer and decide if it is worth their time/effort.

It wasn't finalized.

Sure it was, if a counter or condition, gets a "takeit" response then it is finalized.

It doesn't change the fact that we agree on this & we also agree that the seller ruling the other way would be worse.

My position is based on his rule establishing a pecking order by location not time stamp.

A "takeit" doesn't need an "OK" response or some virtual handshake to be finaliized, that would only be necessary if there was a lack of clarity.

The seller didn't see it.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=252304&Number=5537444#Post5537444

My take is:

1) The rules/conditions regarding PM vs :takeit: were very clearly stated in the sales thread. There was no ambiguity there. It was not in teeny text away or otherwise camouflaged. I dislike the rule itself but applaud its clarity.

2) It is the responsibility of the buyer to read and understand the conditions established in any sales thread. The conditions were very plainly stated.

Then he should explain that he is not going to take negotiations seriously. They reached an agreement. Transplant accepted whatever terms and committed, afterwards he changes it up. Why negotiate?

Ask the potential buyer? What would you prefer the seller to do?

It wasn't finalized.
Hows that, Transplant posted the :takeit: seller decided to honor his BS rule instead.

That's a ridiculous argument. It would allow a shady seller to just not open a PM he thinks probably has a final "ok" in it and wait for an 'I'll take it" in the thread. Knowing all along if that doesn't happen he still has a sale waiting in an unopened PM.

Not saying that's what Dan did, but that's what this line of thinking is opening things up to.

Edited by MCMiles

My take is:

Looking at Dan's past sales where this phrase is used, a slew of sales have been finalized by the PM negotiation. So negotiation via PM do have a history of working.

As I said, I dislike the rule. I would much prefer to see a simple time-stamp based decision. But we are pretty much all adults, with many dealing in 4 and 5 figure books. They should have the ability to read the disclaimer and decide if it is worth their time/effort.

Oh POV. :cloud9:

It wasn't finalized.
Hows that, Transplant posted the :takeit: seller decided to honor his BS rule instead.

That's a ridiculous argument.

So is your assessment that your rules are common sense. (thumbs u

It wasn't finalized.

Just to be clear - the :takeit: was never posted in a PM

This is a standard practice in ALL of my sales threads. I've sold many books here on the Boards, and this is the 1st time this has happened.

I posted the book

Got a lot of nice comments

Got a few PM's (none from roulette44)

Mike PM'ed with a few questions, I answered

I had to run some errands with the wife

I came back, both "i'll take its" were posted, and the drama already started

Had I read Mike's acceptance prior to the "Ill take it" IN the thread, I would have posted it "SOLD via PM" myself. (If I could have even got it up in the few minutes between) Again, check any of my sales threads and see I've done that many times)

Therefore 1st "Ill take it IN the thread wins

Sorry if you don't like the rules I posted, but they were posted

To be clear. I made Dan an offer. He countered saying he would accept that offer if it was not Paypal. I accepted within 3 minutes via PM and more than 10 minutes before Roulette.

It's his sales thread and he can, I guess, run it however he wants. I know what I'm going to do going forward with regard to the seller in question. I also know that running a thread this way encourages sellers to string people along via PM in hopes of getting a higher offer in the thread. Not saying that was his intent. I did not run to thread to post a :takeit: b/c 1) I thought we had an agreed upon deal [i believe SD acknowledges he felt the same way] and 2) I was proceeding through the airport to make a flight. Good for Roulette44. He gets the book I guess. Hope he enjoys it. I asked him to let me know when it's for sale again.

This did not happen, but suppose a seller promises a buyer (who wishes to remain anonymous) that the seller will post a :takeit: in the thread on the buyer's behalf. Seller then waits a day to do so. Would a new buyer in the thread get it, if the seller had the same rules here?

C'est la vie. I've been looking for a nice DD #1 for a while now. This book had characteristics important to me. But, seems this one was not meant to be.

(shrug)

It wasn't finalized.

That's a ridiculous argument.

So is your assessment that your rules are common sense. (thumbs u

It would allow a shady seller to just not open a PM he thinks probably has a final "ok" in it and wait for an 'I'll take it" in the thread. Knowing all along if that doesn't happen he still has a sale waiting in an unopened PM.

Not saying that's what Dan did, but that's what this line of thinking is opening things up to.

That however is common sense. You're just using this as a platform to pad your pointless post count anyway.

It wasn't finalized.

Buyer: Hi would you take this much?

Seller: Sure but only if not via Paypal

Buyer: OK

That really should equal an :takeit:

...but I've already stated, your rule (clearly stated in your thread) allows you to ignore that.

And a man is only as good as his words. And if they had a deal and it was agreed upon first, I would put him on the pl for backing out of a deal. I don't care what your thread says, it was agreed upon and finalized in a pm.

Bottom line -

MY sales thread, MY rules. If you don't like them don't bid. Simple as that.

The only person I owe an explanation to is Mike, and I already did that.

You and a few others Boardies feel obligated to stick your nose in my business where it doesn't belong. (If you read these threads, it's obvious who the other is) Your comments and accusations certainly did NOT belong in my sales thread. Maybe that should be looked into. I believe that breaks a rule? Your comment that you put IN my sales thread to put me on the PL mysteriously disappeared moments after it was posted.

Weve never done business, yet you have an axe to grind for some reason. You bring up the fact that I threw a " :censored: fit" about a re-sub. Well guess what.. I was right and CGC was wrong. If they weren't, they would not have compensated me for it. If I would have kept my mouth shut I would have been screwed. And how does that make me a bad seller??

Post examples of me being a "bad seller" If selling quality CGC books for mostly below GPA, packing them bomb-proof, and shipping them right away is bad, then maybe I am.

EDIT - And FREE insured shipping in the USA!

Oh no, your going to put me on a list of people you wont buy from. You've never bought anything from me in the 1st place. And now your on list of I wont sell to.

Edited by Spider-Dan

So why didn't he post it in the thread? He had 10 minutes.

lol valid point maybe he was on the potty. I don't think this is a probation worthy offense but I know if it was me I would be pissed.

People PM all the time. When somebody PM's me about a deal I do wait for an I'll take it either in PM or in the thread before acting as if book is sold. I could say ok to a proposed deal and be waiting for half an hour to get an " :takeit:" back from the buyer --- so for that half an hour the book is on hold or still fair game for another :takeit:?? That's the grey area.

It wasn't finalized.

This is a standard practice in ALL of my sales threads. I've sold many books here on the Boards, and this is the 1st time this has happened.

I posted the book

Got a lot of nice comments

Got a few PM's (none from roulette44)

Mike PM'ed with a few questions, I answered

I had to run some errands with the wife

I came back, both "i'll take its" were posted, and the drama already started

Had I read Mike's acceptance prior to the "Ill take it" IN the thread, I would have posted it "SOLD via PM" myself. (If I could have even got it up in the few minutes between) Again, check any of my sales threads and see I've done that many times)

Therefore 1st "Ill take it IN the thread wins

Sorry if you don't like the rules I posted, but they were posted

To be clear. I made Dan an offer. He countered saying he would accept that offer if it was not Paypal. I accepted within 3 minutes via PM and more than 10 minutes before Roulette.

It's his sales thread and he can, I guess, run it however he wants. I know what I'm going to do going forward with regard to the seller in question. I also know that running a thread this way encourages sellers to string people along via PM in hopes of getting a higher offer in the thread. Not saying that was his intent. I did not run to thread to post a :takeit: b/c 1) I thought we had an agreed upon deal [i believe SD acknowledges he felt the same way] and 2) I was proceeding through the airport to make a flight. Good for Roulette44. He gets the book I guess. Hope he enjoys it. I asked him to let me know when it's for sale again.

This did not happen, but suppose a seller promises a buyer (who wishes to remain anonymous) that the seller will post a :takeit: in the thread on the buyer's behalf. Seller then waits a day to do so. Would a new buyer in the thread get it, if the seller had the same rules here?

C'est la vie. I've been looking for a nice DD #1 for a while now. This book had characteristics important to me. But, seems this one was not meant to be.

(shrug)

It seems that he's referencing another technicality that's even more ludicrous...implying that the rule said you have to post the gremlin, not just words that express the same intent...a completely different issue that has come up before

It wasn't finalized.

Sure it was, if a counter or condition, gets a "takeit" response then it is finalized.

It doesn't change the fact that we agree on this & we also agree that the seller ruling the other way would be worse.

My position is based on his rule establishing a pecking order by location not time stamp.

A "takeit" doesn't need an "OK" response or some virtual handshake to be finaliized, that would only be necessary if there was a lack of clarity.

Please reread the part I underlined, that's not a strike-through.

:taptaptap:

You're grasping for "other" reasons that aren't necessary under this specific rule.

hm

If Dan countered the PM offer, and the PM offer wasn't accepted untill 3 min's AFTER someone popped the "takeit" in thread. there is no debate or question who gets the book (the :takeit: in thread, since it came first)

however, if the PM offer was accepted BEFORE the :takeit: in thread and wasn't seen until after the item was taken in thread, the item should go to the PM buyer. since technically it was "popped" prior.

But from what i gather through this whole mess is, that was NOT the case. and was only accepted after the :takeit: in thread was made ....

:makepoint: