• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Yes, and this nightmare is directly enabled by the often seen rule that a thread take trumps everything. For the life of me, I can't understand why sellers continue to specify the rules this way. Why would a seller want to allow this messy situation to occur...i.e., why would a seller desire to specify rules that allow a thread poster to supersede a fully completed PM deal where the seller or PM taker simply hasn't had time or opportunity to update the thread?

In general, I just don't understand the incentive on any seller's part to use any "take rule" other than "first take wins, whether in the thread or via PM". Doing otherwise seems a bit :screwy: , unless the seller just intentionally desires to set the stage for drama. (shrug)

rantrant over.

Edited by edowens71

Yes, and this nightmare is directly enabled by the often seen rule that a thread take trumps everything. For the life of me, I can't understand why sellers continue to specify the rules this way. Why would a seller want to allow this messy situation to occur...i.e., why would a seller desire to specify rules that allow a thread poster to supersede a fully completed PM deal where the seller or PM taker simply hasn't had time or opportunity to update the thread?

In general, I just don't understand the incentive on any seller's part to use any "take rule" other than "first take wins, whether in the thread or via PM". Doing otherwise seems a bit :screwy: , unless the seller just intentionally desires to set the stage for drama. (shrug)

rantrant over.

It's completely stupid.

I posted this in the thread, but going to repeat it here.

By these rules, as a seller I can agree to a deal via PM and just wait to post "SOLD" for a few hours and hope someone hits the BIN at a better price.

rantrant over.

It's completely stupid.

By these rules, as a seller I can agree to a deal via PM and just wait to post "SOLD" for a few hours and hope someone hits the BIN at a better price.

The potential buyer who sent the PM obviously read the thread and therefore should be aware of the rules. Your example doesn't work. The seller stated his terms so kudos to him.

rantrant over.

It's completely stupid.

Well lets remember that each of the two :takeit: in question were less than 3 minutes apart hm

I mean that's barely enough time to walk to the bathroom and take a pee and come back (shrug)

rantrant over.

It's completely stupid.

The potential buyer who sent the PM obviously read the thread and therefore should be aware of the rules. Your example doesn't work. The seller stated his terms so kudos to him.

"Trumps all PMs " that would include agreed upon deals is stupid. It lacks common sense and good business sense.

rantrant over.

It's completely stupid.

Well lets remember that each of the two :takeit: in question were less than 3 minutes apart hm

I mean that's barely enough time to walk to the bathroom and take a pee and come back (shrug)

Totally irrelevant.

rantrant over.

It's completely stupid.

"Trumps all PMs " that would include agreed upon deals is stupid. It lacks common sense and good business sense.

Your opinion which you are entitled to but his rules do not violate board rules and were stated up front. You have no case other than simply not liking the rule. His decision followed his rule. The seller did nothing wrong and is common practice on the boards.

rantrant over.

Agree, and the pm buyer can post his 'I'll take it via pm' right away IN THE THREAD, without waiting for the seller to post it.

I know that not every buyer wants to purchase publicly, but if them's the rules, them's the rules, whether they're the smartest rules or not. The rules were posted and should be followed to the extent possible.

It's completely stupid.

Your opinion which you are entitled to but his rules do not violate board rules and were stated up front. You have no case other than simply not liking the rule. His decision followed his rule. The seller did nothing wrong and is common practice on the boards.

rantrant over.

It's completely stupid.

It's not common practice to back out of deals. It's not common practice for that rule to allow that to be acceptable. If that is common practice around here now days, then you guys can have it.

rantrant over.

It's completely stupid.

Totally irrelevant.

Well it could be hm

It's just as irrelevant as insinuating that Dan was holding out putting out a "Sold" notice just to reel in more money from an unsuspecting other buyer later on (shrug)

I respect your opinion on it though and I think you BOTH are top notch sellers (both of whom I respect). I've just dealt with this situation before in the past and it's no fun.

xxx ooo

Rupp

rantrant over.

It's completely stupid.

This. There's something to be argued if the rules were not so clear. The seller was pretty good about detailing what he was going to consider when awarding the book to a buyer.

Let's be honest, he could have said that he's not selling to anyone on the west coast or anyone named Branget. You could argue that those rules were stupid and didn't make good business sense. But if known up front, the rules are still the rules. (shrug)

Fine. The rule is there. Dan didn't do anything wrong, but IMO sided wrong at the end.

I'll recommend to anyone that anyone that ever wants to sell here and keep a good reputation avoid that rule in that vague form. A time stamp should win and I'm guessing most people would agree. There really isn't any reason not to adopt this rule. It will save any seller from this awkward situation and clear rules won't off any buyers.

Fine. The rule is there. Dan didn't do anything wrong, but IMO sided wrong at the end.

I'll recommend to anyone that anyone that ever wants to sell here and keep a good reputation avoid that rule in that vague form. A time stamp should win and I'm guessing most people would agree. There really isn't any reason not to adopt this rule. It will save any seller from this awkward situation and clear rules won't off any buyers.

This would be the smartest rule, and makes the most sense in general. BUT we allow people to sell as they like, which can includes rules that are counterintuitive.