• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Someone else in that house needs to work.

April's mother works, but she got in a tough spot a few months ago and I am able to help her so she's with us until she gets back on her feet. I know it means a lot to April that we can help her, so I made that decision and went with it. It's fine for now...nothing changed and I am still able to pay for everything. I know that can't go on forever, but they know it as well. It's all good so far.

Or need to help with the comic sales. My Wife is a part time bag and boarder. ;)

April helps me when she can. She's been sick most of the year, but still helps me list auctions when she's able to and in some cases pack comics when my back is against the wall and need to catch up. The packing thing hasn't been needed in a few months as I'm a machine and have a great system down pat now, but the listing helps out a LOT. She can also scan books when push comes to shove.

My bottom line is that I didn't want her to work so she could spend time at home and raise our daughter. That's a big deal for me so I need to just keep working as hard as I can.

Peace,

Chip

I'm home with my 3 selling part time. It's great! :)

I would suggest finding a way to get CGC into your business model.

Trust me, I'm trying. The problem is I don't have any way to tie up the money into CGC for the length of their TATs. I did so with some keys from the huge score collection I had many months ago and CGC *still* has 5 of those books. I just need more time to amass more money so I can ride out the length of grading times and/or afford to spend more on the faster tiers.

Those I know that sell CGC books do VERY well...the amounts I see are the stuff of my family's dreams right now. However, a lot of them have amazing jobs that allow them to afford their money being tied up for months on end.

Peace,

Chip

Edited by Chip Cataldo

If TAT's are the issue then start with on site grading, then work some fast tracks in and then try to keep quite a few regular track. Unfortunately I believe on site is done until March but a good time to plan ahead. Personally I try to keep most as regular track now as I always have books coming in. I did do quite a bit of on site though.

I get ya there...once you get past the initial wait and have books coming in regularly to match the ones you send out regularly the system works. I just have to have enough money in the bank to start that and get over the initial wait for the first wave of books. I'm not there yet.

I'm not sure how I would get to do on-site, so that part wouldn't work for me.

Peace,

Chip

My deepest apologies. I can assure you that you could do MUCH better in today's market. $100k sales in comics working full time is very low.

Thank you...no worries. I've just started out. This was the first year of me deciding that my low-level retail jobs were something I could do better than, so I decided to do so. I have a destroyed credit rating so I started out small with zero cash to invest. I had some very wonderful people offer to have me sell books on consignment and when I started earning a bit more than I needed to pay the bills I would just look for things to buy that I could re-sell and make more profit. It's growing steadily...I just have to find a way to work harder. I put up 525 auctions last week. I need to make that 750...then 1,000. The more I sell, the more I make. The fact that I can work from home is both a blessing and a detriment, but I do what I can there.

Eventually it will get better, but for someone with zero credit line or investors I'm doing the best I can with what I have. Food is on the table and the bills are paid. More and more of my stock is stuff that I own outright. I've made some great friends on here that have become great business connections. I just have to keep working as hard as I can, and obviously improve my comic grading.

Peace,

Chip

Chip, you are doing it right, pace yourself and build your business. Try to repair your credit as quickly as you can but my advice is to continue paying as you go. Don't put yourself in a position that your running your business on credit. Only use it case of emergencies.

Don't worry about what the other guys are doing. Concentrate on what you need to do go forward. Also, be yourself, and be honest with your customers and other dealers. Don't put yourself out there as someone you are not and don't go negative on or attack others just for the sake of sales in some sad attempt to make you look better than the other guys. People see through that stuff really quickly.

Customer service and reputation is everything. Earning the respect of your customers and other dealers is important. Show them the respect you expect back and you'll continue to grow.

Oh, and grade tight, don't be vague, both here and on eBay - If you're unsure ask advice or lower the grade.

It's full time and my only source of income. I'm not well-off by any means. I pay the bills and put food on the table. We have a few nice things but hardly live anything remotely close to a plush life.

That dollar amount is me working as hard as my low-motivation self will allow on mostly commission sales. If some weeks I have to sell 300 $1 books to get by, that's what I do.

I currently support myself, my girlfriend, our daughter and my g/f's mother.

Peace,

Chip

Have you ever thought about probably having your gf and gf mother help out by filing for government assistance? Nothing wrong with it. When my parents came to the US from Vietnam, they filed for the government cheese.

Also if your credit is bad and you have debt, might look into filing for bankruptcy and get a fresh start at the bottom and work yourself back up.

Hello everyone,

In the Giving Tree thread, I posted the grade the ST #115 had received when it was put in the PGM section previous to me purchasing it (which consensus-wise was a 4.0 average). I didn't agree with that grade when I got the book in-hand (I usually disagree with the PGM grading) but as to not cause trouble here on the CGC forum that's the grade I quoted when people inquired. People have had it out for me in that thread since the beginning so I didn't want to rock the boat.

Regarding my eBay sales, I grade the best I can when putting up several hundred comics each week. I offer a no-questions-asked 14-day return policy where I even pay the return shipping if anyone isn't satisfied for any reason (including the book's grade). I am a Top-Rated Power Seller on there with nearly $100,000 in sales over the past 12 months (nearly all raw comics). I have 99.7% positive feedback (over 500 this month alone) and high Detailed Seller Ratings across the board (including "Item As Described"). If someone isn't satisfied with a grade on any book they purchase I have them return it and I re-evaluate my grade before I re-list. Nearly all of the time I will inquire exactly what the buyer thought was wrong in my grading so I can improve.

Peace,

Chip

You've sold nearly $100,000 in raw books on eBay in the last 12 months?

Is that net profit or gross prior to any expense and overhead?

Hello everyone,

In the Giving Tree thread, I posted the grade the ST #115 had received when it was put in the PGM section previous to me purchasing it (which consensus-wise was a 4.0 average). I didn't agree with that grade when I got the book in-hand (I usually disagree with the PGM grading) but as to not cause trouble here on the CGC forum that's the grade I quoted when people inquired. People have had it out for me in that thread since the beginning so I didn't want to rock the boat.

Regarding my eBay sales, I grade the best I can when putting up several hundred comics each week. I offer a no-questions-asked 14-day return policy where I even pay the return shipping if anyone isn't satisfied for any reason (including the book's grade). I am a Top-Rated Power Seller on there with nearly $100,000 in sales over the past 12 months (nearly all raw comics). I have 99.7% positive feedback (over 500 this month alone) and high Detailed Seller Ratings across the board (including "Item As Described"). If someone isn't satisfied with a grade on any book they purchase I have them return it and I re-evaluate my grade before I re-list. Nearly all of the time I will inquire exactly what the buyer thought was wrong in my grading so I can improve.

Peace,

Chip

I was curious of this too. What is your profit margin? To me, $100K with no physical storefront seems very good but that is not an educated opinion as I don't sell many books at all. But given the comments from those in the business, it is apparently not a lot.

I actually will be retiring in less than 5 months and the age of 50 and have thought about then starting to pare down my collection. I will have have a guaranteed monthly pension plus have a decent amount of savings but was hoping downsizing will bring in some extra spending money.

Hello everyone,

Peace,

Chip

I was curious of this too. What is your profit margin? To me, $100K with no physical storefront seems very good but that is not an educated opinion as I don't sell many books at all. But given the comments from those in the business, it is apparently not a lot.

I actually will be retiring in less than 5 months and the age of 50 and have thought about then starting to pare down my collection. I will have have a guaranteed monthly pension plus have a decent amount of savings but was hoping downsizing will bring in some extra spending money.

He said in the other Saga Of Chip thread that, as much of the sales is consignment, he gets less than 25% of the $100K.

Gotta put that food on the table....

banquet-table-food-17268137_zpsc80045c9.jpg

There is food, and there is food....

And there is a guy who claims to be unable to pay for food but sells 100k in comic on ebay in 1 year.

And not on commission - goodness knows where that came from!

Yet managed to find $1000 to buy a collection worth $2500. And got butt-lubed.

And cried about it. A lot. So much so, some gullible fools helped him out.

I'm not naming that guy.

But man, does he keep boasting about the 'great scores' he has found.

Peace.

Potato

Hello everyone,

Peace,

Chip

He said in the other Saga Of Chip thread that, as much of the sales is consignment, he gets less than 25% of the $100K.

Thanks, Dan. This makes more sense. Hadn't thought about the consignments.

So the 25% more or less is total profit?

Someone else in that house needs to work.

April's mother works, but she got in a tough spot a few months ago and I am able to help her so she's with us until she gets back on her feet. I know it means a lot to April that we can help her, so I made that decision and went with it. It's fine for now...nothing changed and I am still able to pay for everything. I know that can't go on forever, but they know it as well. It's all good so far.

Or need to help with the comic sales. My Wife is a part time bag and boarder. ;)

April helps me when she can. She's been sick most of the year, but still helps me list auctions when she's able to and in some cases pack comics when my back is against the wall and need to catch up. The packing thing hasn't been needed in a few months as I'm a machine and have a great system down pat now, but the listing helps out a LOT. She can also scan books when push comes to shove.

My bottom line is that I didn't want her to work so she could spend time at home and raise our daughter. That's a big deal for me so I need to just keep working as hard as I can.

Peace,

Chip

Unfortunately staying at home is a luxury that most mothers cannot afford now. It sounds like you have the perfect set up for her to work part time if you are at home. Re-organize your schedule so that she can work outside the home for a few hours a day and YOU watch the baby during that time. Baby's need dads, too! It will be nice for both of you and she can get out a bit.

You can always scan at night while the baby is sleeping. 2 year olds sleep a lot.

Sounds like you are putting in a lot of hours, I haven't sold $100,000 worth of anything in 15 years on eBay and I did it part time after work for at least 5 years. You just might not be putting in the right kind of hours. Organizing is the key.

Sit down with April, organize your time so it's more productive and work on that. The time you spend on here could be spent watching the baby.

Then take 20% of her money (before you do anything else with it) and put it away for a rainy day.

I get ya there...once you get past the initial wait and have books coming in regularly to match the ones you send out regularly the system works. I just have to have enough money in the bank to start that and get over the initial wait for the first wave of books. I'm not there yet.

I'm not sure how I would get to do on-site, so that part wouldn't work for me.

Peace,

Chip

There are many boardies who take submissions for on site. Simply mail them and have them graded. Even with postage times you're in under 2 weeks.

There is food, and there is food....

And there is a guy who claims to be unable to pay for food but sells 100k in comic on ebay in 1 year

And not on commission - goodness knows where that came from!

Yet managed to find $1000 to buy a collection worth $2500. And got butt-lubed.

And cried about it. A lot. So much so, some gullible fools helped him out.

I'm not naming that guy.

But man, does he keep boasting about the 'great scores' he has found

Peace.

Potato

You're getting really ridiculous with all this stuff, you know? There are lots of inaccuracies in what you're stating above, and I really don't understand where the hatred came from in a short period of time.

I didn't do anything to you. I haven't done anything to ANYONE on this site.

I've never said I was unable to pay for food.

I've never said the bulk of my sales weren't commission.

I didn't "manage to find" $1,000. It was profit from the business marked for purchasing more stock for the business.

I didn't "cry" about anything "a lot." I tried to get my money back.

"Gullible fools?" Other than people posting advice a grand total of FOUR people were generous enough to actually give me anything, even though I stated previously that we were able to absorb the hit whether I got my money back or not. FOUR. You sent me a book for which I am very grateful to have, and when you got pissed off I offered to send it back. I'll even pay for the damn thing. Jason (comicalgems) donated a Mystery Box sale to help me out and Tim (thunsicker) was nice enough to buy it. A boardie who wishes to remain anonymous was instrumental in getting my actual money back.

I didn't ask for any charity at all. I said we were fine. I was pissed off and let everyone know about it, which is what half of this site is. Scams, CGC wait times, eBay, whatever. I don't see you railing against any of that.

"Boasting" about great scores? Everyone does that. God forbid I want to share something cool that's happened to me as far as comics. I thought that's what that thread in General was for. Stupid me.

Honestly, you're being ridiculous now. I tried to reason with you via PM so we could work out our differences and you shut me down. It's on you, now. Enough.

Peace,

Chip