• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Wow. Did I miss something good here. The examples pointed out are some pretty bad Ebay grading on raw books, by Chip. Also, I have to agree with several others. It's been shown time and time again that overgrading and having a good return policy is a good business model. There are just way too many buyers who either don't know their getting a book that's overgraded or they can't be bothered to return a $10/20/30 book.

The proof of whether someone can grade is in the book, not what their feedback is on Ebay.

you could always post them in the PGM thread

you could always send them in to a third party grading company :shrug:

If I could afford to do that I wouldn't have to sell comics, I'd be buying them. Every week's worth of sales goes into our bills or buying more stuff to sell. I don't have time to wait for them to be graded.

Wow. Did I miss something good here. The examples pointed out are some pretty bad Ebay grading on raw books, by Chip. Also, I have to agree with several others. It's been shown time and time again that overgrading and having a good return policy is a good business model. There are just way too many buyers who either don't know their getting a book that's overgraded or they can't be bothered to return a $10/20/30 book.

The proof of whether someone can grade is in the book, not what their feedback is on Ebay.

This is true

I'm sitting here staring at a pile of 225 comics I have to grade & list by the end of the weekend and I've graded the first one 4 times already. I have no idea what's right and what's wrong.

Man, that's a lot of work! I thought I read you did really well in the grading contest?

I'm sitting here staring at a pile of 225 comics I have to grade & list by the end of the weekend and I've graded the first one 4 times already. I have no idea what's right and what's wrong.

Based on the number of transactions and problems you seem to have a fine sense of grading. I would simply avoid the PGM thread and use your own skills. If you have been overgrading tighten up.

March forward. 2c

Give it the grade you think it deserves, and stick by it. That's the grade on ebay, that's the grade in a sales thread on the Boards, it's the grade in PIF/TGT, it's the grade in this thread...

Then you can have whatever kindly return policy you want.

Give it the grade you think it deserves, and stick by it. That's the grade on ebay, that's the grade in a sales thread on the Boards, it's the grade in PIF/TGT, it's the grade in this thread...

+1

What Speedy said. If all else fails, grade it, drop it half a grade to be safe and move on.

+1

What Speedy said. If all else fails, grade it, drop it half a grade to be safe and move on.

I don't like the sound of 'grade it whatever you want and have a kindly return policy'. That's not how it is supposed to work. I would simply say tighten up your grading. Don't give it the highest grade possible, give it the safest grade possible.

+1

I don't like the sound of 'grade it whatever you want and have a kindly return policy'. That's not how it is supposed to work. I would simply say tighten up your grading. Don't give it the highest grade possible, give it the safest grade possible.

I didn't say grade it whatever you want, I said give it the grade you think it deserves and stick to it. The return policy is nice but irrelevant.

Cry me a river. You know how to grade and grading one long box is a cup of coffee and good lighting.

I was thinking more, a bottle of wine and good lighting . . . :grin:

All depends on the time of the day. We are definitely into the wine and/or rye hours. ;)

grading one long box is a cup of coffee and good lighting.

This is actually a terrific point.

Poor lighting will destroy grading skills. Happens to me at cons all the time when not all the lights are on. Books look completely different under a nice, white, bright light.

Defects literally pop out under good lighting.

grading one long box is a cup of coffee and good lighting.

This is actually a terrific point.

Poor lighting will destroy grading skills. Happens to me at cons all the time when not all the lights are on. Books look completely different under a nice, white, bright light.

Defects literally pop out under good lighting.

One of my first lessons. I have multiple lights around my grading table. I also suggest making yourself comfortable and have all your supplies at hand. I can fly through a short box relatively quickly.

Cry me a river. You know how to grade and grading one long box is a cup of coffee and good lighting.

I was thinking more, a bottle of wine and good lighting . . . :grin:

All depends on the time of the day. We are definitely into the wine and/or rye hours. ;)

We are birds of a feather . . . which of course, is why we all hang out here. ;)

That alone makes all the difference in the world.

I hate white LED lights but they are terrific for grading. Everything literally jumps out at you. I use my cell phone light at cons when lighting is poor. Everyone makes fun of me but at least I'm not buying a book I don't want to. :headbang:

When you're grading from a scan (like in the grading contest) the scan is magnified, and the scanner uses a white LED light making the defects in the scan relatively easy to spot.

If you then get the book in hand and grade under a poor, luminescent, yellow light, many of the defects will actually not look as bad or disappear completely, causing the book to look better in hand.

That might have been part of the problem all along, Chip.